Manual setting in K-x

trixie

Link Posted 04/08/2011 - 08:38
I have been using the manual setting in the K-x and find that I always have to use the fill in flash, otherwise the photo is to dark, I have bought a flash that fits in the hotshoe and have used this one too. Am I doing something wrong by having to use the flash all the time even in bright conditions? your help is always appreciated, thanks in advance Trixie.
[[quote]Trixie xx If at first you don't succeed, try, try again,then quit. No use being a damn fool about it. W. C Fields.

johnriley

Link Posted 04/08/2011 - 08:53
How are you measuring the exposure? Don't forget you have to take an exposure measurement and adjust the camera settings to give the correct exposure. The bar graph in the viewfinder should be centred to obtain the camera's exposure recommendation.

However, if that's all we do it might as well be set to Av instead. Set the aperture, let the camera select the shutter speed.

Clearly using the flash all the time is not intended and something in the technique used is a bit amiss. It would be easier to show you how to use manual settings than decribe it, but perhaps go back to auto, establish that all is well. Then practice with making the settings manually.
Best regards, John

Helpful

i-Berg

Link Posted 04/08/2011 - 09:03
The other thing that you might like to try is a quick press of the 'green button' while in manual mode. That should then give you the approximate settings (aperture and shutter speed) for the shot you're trying to take.

Using that as the base, you can then change both shutter and aperture settings in tandem, to keep the same exposure value. Thus, if you choose to increase the shutter speed, you will need to open the aperture to a wider setting (ie, a lower f-stop number) to compensate, in order to maintain a suitable exposure.

And if you lose track of where you are with all of that, just press the green button again.
http://www.pbase.com/iberg
Last Edited by i-Berg on 04/08/2011 - 09:05

Helpful

wvbarnes

Link Posted 04/08/2011 - 09:15
Hi Trixie,

If you are having to use fill in flash that might indicate portraits heavily back lit fooling the metering. Usually only very bright sunlight such as on a beach would need fill in flash and then turned down a stop or so.

Try spot exposure control and check if you have the shadow correction on (medium seems good)

Helpful

trixie

Link Posted 04/08/2011 - 13:06
johnriley wrote:
How are you measuring the exposure? Don't forget you have to take an exposure measurement and adjust the camera settings to give the correct exposure. The bar graph in the viewfinder should be centred to obtain the camera's exposure recommendation.

However, if that's all we do it might as well be set to Av instead. Set the aperture, let the camera select the shutter speed.

Clearly using the flash all the time is not intended and something in the technique used is a bit amiss. It would be easier to show you how to use manual settings than decribe it, but perhaps go back to auto, establish that all is well. Then practice with making the settings manually.

Hi John you are so kind and helpful, I have done as you told me too and Yes I've got it right, so thank you very much again, this is such a good place to be. Cheers Trixie

trixie

Link Posted 04/08/2011 - 13:07
Thank you to everyone for your help, + I have set the green button on my camera, never used that for anything so I have set it up now, thanks again for help and information, Best wishes Trixie
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.