Manual Extension Tubes - cheap any good?
Posted 10/02/2012 - 20:24
Link
In my personal experience I would say go for it. As long as they are made of metal, are black on the inside and are roughly 13, 21, 31mm in their individual sizes.
S
S
Posted 10/02/2012 - 20:28
Link
Thanks - it hadn't occurred to me that they might be plastic. I'll make sure I check.
Posted 10/02/2012 - 20:31
Link
I have some of those sitting around somewhere. They are ok, I guess, at least they did not do any harm to my camera.
I later bought a 2nd hand set with A-contact and a much nicer build quality. I would recommend looking here or on ebay for that instead. Expect to pay 30-40£
I later bought a 2nd hand set with A-contact and a much nicer build quality. I would recommend looking here or on ebay for that instead. Expect to pay 30-40£
Hi. My name is Joel and I'm a travelholic.
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350
Posted 10/02/2012 - 20:38
Link
Joe S wrote:
I later bought a 2nd hand set with A-contact and a much nicer build quality. I would recommend looking here or on ebay for that instead. Expect to pay 30-40£
This was quite a while ago was it? I later bought a 2nd hand set with A-contact and a much nicer build quality. I would recommend looking here or on ebay for that instead. Expect to pay 30-40£
Tubes with A contacts have never been that cheap in the 4 years (nearly) I have been with Pentax.
Posted 10/02/2012 - 20:53
Link
To be honest I don't really need something with A contacts, at least for now. I was looking to use them with a fully manual lens, but didn't want to get something so cheap that they didn't fit properly or worse still get stuck on the camera.
I've been looking, but can't see anything available between the cheap £8 sets and the fully auto sets at £150 plus.
Would a used bellows or a new Raynox be a better alternative? I'd be using them with a 135mm prime.
I've been looking, but can't see anything available between the cheap £8 sets and the fully auto sets at £150 plus.
Would a used bellows or a new Raynox be a better alternative? I'd be using them with a 135mm prime.
Posted 10/02/2012 - 20:57
Link
Ha ha, they don't have all they contacts - only one + that aperture lever. The same as lenses in the A-series have, so I thought I was on solid ground here. What would they rest of the contacts be unless we are talking AF?
It was a couple of years ago, I bought mine. I could be wrong about the price
It was a couple of years ago, I bought mine. I could be wrong about the price
Hi. My name is Joel and I'm a travelholic.
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350
Posted 10/02/2012 - 22:11
Link
Advice much appreciated. If anyone can point me in the direction of a decent set of manual or A contact tubes I'd be grateful. All I can find are cheap manual or expensive AF.
Posted 10/02/2012 - 22:22 - Helpful Comment
Link
I got some manual Pentax ones from ffordes last year - they have some listed at £25 now, the same as I paid for mine. Very helpful there, and I think about £3 postage on top. I've been really pleased with mine - I was wary of cheap ebay ones and the genuine ones are only a few pounds more.
Posted 10/02/2012 - 22:29
Link
AndrewH wrote:
I got some manual Pentax ones from ffordes last year - they have some listed at £25 now, the same as I paid for mine. Very helpful there, and I think about £3 postage on top. I've been really pleased with mine - I was wary of cheap ebay ones and the genuine ones are only a few pounds more.
Thanks - I'll have a look.
I got some manual Pentax ones from ffordes last year - they have some listed at £25 now, the same as I paid for mine. Very helpful there, and I think about £3 postage on top. I've been really pleased with mine - I was wary of cheap ebay ones and the genuine ones are only a few pounds more.
Posted 10/02/2012 - 22:36
Link
Sorry - going mad. Are these Pentax K fit?
http://www.ffordes.com/product/11111806425381
The back doesn't look like either of my PK fit lenses. They have a small lever sticking up and I can't see that here.
http://www.ffordes.com/product/11111806425381
The back doesn't look like either of my PK fit lenses. They have a small lever sticking up and I can't see that here.
Posted 10/02/2012 - 22:58
Link
Thanks - just wondered if these were M42 mount. I don't have any of those lenses to check, but haven't managed to find a K mount image anywhere without the little lever, which these don't have.
Posted 10/02/2012 - 23:09
Link
milamber wrote:
Thanks - just wondered if these were M42 mount. I don't have any of those lenses to check, but haven't managed to find a K mount image anywhere without the little lever, which these don't have.
M42 would be a screw mount iirc, but see what you mean about the little lever. My tubes do have the lever, as I can only put them back into their case a certain way. Maybe send them an email - I have done this week about a lens, and they are very helpful people.Thanks - just wondered if these were M42 mount. I don't have any of those lenses to check, but haven't managed to find a K mount image anywhere without the little lever, which these don't have.
Good luck!
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


863 posts
15 years
Norfolk
I'm looking to get a set of manual extension tubes. I don't need electrical contacts as they will be used with a fully manual lens. Does anyone have any experience of the cheap sets available all over Ebay for around £8. Just wondered if they were o.k. or whether I need to pay more.
Any advice appreciated.