Manual Extension Tubes - cheap any good?

milamber

Link Posted 10/02/2012 - 18:35
Hi

I'm looking to get a set of manual extension tubes. I don't need electrical contacts as they will be used with a fully manual lens. Does anyone have any experience of the cheap sets available all over Ebay for around 8. Just wondered if they were o.k. or whether I need to pay more.

Any advice appreciated.

spbatt

Link Posted 10/02/2012 - 20:24
In my personal experience I would say go for it. As long as they are made of metal, are black on the inside and are roughly 13, 21, 31mm in their individual sizes.

S

milamber

Link Posted 10/02/2012 - 20:28
Thanks - it hadn't occurred to me that they might be plastic. I'll make sure I check.

Joe S

Link Posted 10/02/2012 - 20:31
I have some of those sitting around somewhere. They are ok, I guess, at least they did not do any harm to my camera.

I later bought a 2nd hand set with A-contact and a much nicer build quality. I would recommend looking here or on ebay for that instead. Expect to pay 30-40
Hi. My name is Joel and I'm a travelholic.
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350

Mike-P

Link Posted 10/02/2012 - 20:38
Joe S wrote:

I later bought a 2nd hand set with A-contact and a much nicer build quality. I would recommend looking here or on ebay for that instead. Expect to pay 30-40

This was quite a while ago was it?

Tubes with A contacts have never been that cheap in the 4 years (nearly) I have been with Pentax.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

milamber

Link Posted 10/02/2012 - 20:53
To be honest I don't really need something with A contacts, at least for now. I was looking to use them with a fully manual lens, but didn't want to get something so cheap that they didn't fit properly or worse still get stuck on the camera.

I've been looking, but can't see anything available between the cheap 8 sets and the fully auto sets at 150 plus.

Would a used bellows or a new Raynox be a better alternative? I'd be using them with a 135mm prime.
Last Edited by milamber on 10/02/2012 - 20:54

Mike-P

Link Posted 10/02/2012 - 20:57
Bellows are a pain, the Raynox DCR-250 is good though.

Personally I would look for tubes though .. maybe worth getting a slightly more expensive set rather than the cheap Chinese ones.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 10/02/2012 - 20:57

Joe S

Link Posted 10/02/2012 - 20:57
Ha ha, they don't have all they contacts - only one + that aperture lever. The same as lenses in the A-series have, so I thought I was on solid ground here. What would they rest of the contacts be unless we are talking AF?

It was a couple of years ago, I bought mine. I could be wrong about the price
Hi. My name is Joel and I'm a travelholic.
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350

milamber

Link Posted 10/02/2012 - 22:11
Advice much appreciated. If anyone can point me in the direction of a decent set of manual or A contact tubes I'd be grateful. All I can find are cheap manual or expensive AF.

AndrewH

Link Posted 10/02/2012 - 22:22
I got some manual Pentax ones from ffordes last year - they have some listed at 25 now, the same as I paid for mine. Very helpful there, and I think about 3 postage on top. I've been really pleased with mine - I was wary of cheap ebay ones and the genuine ones are only a few pounds more.
flickr

Helpful

milamber

Link Posted 10/02/2012 - 22:29
AndrewH wrote:
I got some manual Pentax ones from ffordes last year - they have some listed at 25 now, the same as I paid for mine. Very helpful there, and I think about 3 postage on top. I've been really pleased with mine - I was wary of cheap ebay ones and the genuine ones are only a few pounds more.

Thanks - I'll have a look.

milamber

Link Posted 10/02/2012 - 22:36
Sorry - going mad. Are these Pentax K fit?

http://www.ffordes.com/product/11111806425381

The back doesn't look like either of my PK fit lenses. They have a small lever sticking up and I can't see that here.
Last Edited by milamber on 10/02/2012 - 22:40

AndrewH

Link Posted 10/02/2012 - 22:41
They look like it - I haven't got mine with me to compare as am away from home. They're certainly listed under the Pentax MF section, and look the same as mine!

Andrew
flickr

milamber

Link Posted 10/02/2012 - 22:58
Thanks - just wondered if these were M42 mount. I don't have any of those lenses to check, but haven't managed to find a K mount image anywhere without the little lever, which these don't have.

AndrewH

Link Posted 10/02/2012 - 23:09
milamber wrote:
Thanks - just wondered if these were M42 mount. I don't have any of those lenses to check, but haven't managed to find a K mount image anywhere without the little lever, which these don't have.

M42 would be a screw mount iirc, but see what you mean about the little lever. My tubes do have the lever, as I can only put them back into their case a certain way. Maybe send them an email - I have done this week about a lens, and they are very helpful people.

Good luck!
flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.