Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Manfrotto replacement centre column needed

GaryJohn
Posted 18/05/2011 - 11:05 Link
I need some help and hoped that the wide and diverse experiences of this forum may be able to provide it.
As with many of us - my photography is conducted on quite a tight budget. I have a very old Manfrotto Art 055 tripod, and in an attempt to replace the head have broken the top of the centre column. The tubing is intact but the mechanism that sits inside has snapped. Replacement centre columns have been discontinued. So... can anyone out there help on the following 1) is there anywhere I can get a replacement centre column 2) do you know of a different brand that will fit 3) can you suggest a slightly thinner replacement column that could slide inside the Manfrotto column, or finally 4) suggest an inexpensive replacement. In terms of a replacement I use it also for my birding scope as well as general shooting projects so I need to achieve a balance between weight and stability without paying £hundreds. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Frogherder
Posted 18/05/2011 - 12:57 Link
Just in case you haven't tried Manfrotto direct have a look at this page from their website :-

http://www.manfrotto.co.uk/Service/Service+and+Repair/?f=s&v=055&x=9&y=13

I don't know that tripod, or what the innards are like, but it may be possible to fabricate something from sheet metal (Do you have anyone loally who dabbles in model engineering -usually steam models - they might be able to assist)

regards
Bernard
GaryJohn
Posted 18/05/2011 - 13:59 Link
Thanks for the link - however my tripod is too ancient and neither this nor other parts suppliers can help. I'd not thought to ask around for a DIY solution... good suggestion, much appreciated. Gary
Mannesty
Posted 18/05/2011 - 15:07 Link
It might be worth taking it to a Manfrotto dealer in your area to see if a more modern and available column will fit. I suspect though that the price might be prohibitive.

A quick search on ebay found these.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Edited by Mannesty: 18/05/2011 - 15:09
Don
Posted 18/05/2011 - 15:17 Link
you got any friends that do machinist work out of thier garage?
and fwiw, the model may be completely, officially discontinued, but there is a good chance the column from a newer tripod will fit. But why bother?
Why not resign your self to a new tripod?
Then go looking for a 6 or seven foot peice of pipe to slide into the old broken tripod, and use it as a lightstand, at home?
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
xbow
Posted 18/05/2011 - 18:35 Link
It might be useful to post a pic of the damaged item?

Vic.
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1
GaryJohn
Posted 18/05/2011 - 21:15 Link
[quote:3496ace15f="xbow"]It might be useful to post a pic of the damaged item?

Here is the offending item - still attached to the Tripod Head that I have been unable to remove ! The aluminum tubing of the centre column fits over the exposed thread and housing. If I am to attempt a repair - not only do I need to repair / replace the damaged part pictured - but also need to get the beeping head off - which caused all the problems in the first place. Comment Image
Once again - thanks to one and all. Regards Gary
Don
Posted 18/05/2011 - 22:28 Link
you should have no trouble getting that replaced.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
johnwhit
Posted 19/05/2011 - 07:10 Link
Have you slackened the 3 screws in the flange?, they're what holds the head on. Then clamp the flange in some soft jaws of a vice and unscrew the head, the nut underneath is just locking the threaded stud in place and does not hold the head on. Araldite would probably secure the broken piece unless you know someone who welds aluminium.

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.
Edited by johnwhit: 19/05/2011 - 07:16
Frogherder
Posted 19/05/2011 - 15:25 Link
Again it would need access to someone with an engineering workshop but

I would be tempted to have the remaining two spigots cut off and the face skimmed flat on a lathe then

Take a short length of steel tubing and have a disc welded onto the end.
Have the diameter skimmed to the original diameter of the spigots (looks as if this is about 30mm). Do the slots between the spigots do anything - if not ignore them)
Whilst it is in the lathe locate a 8/10mm clearance hole (is that the diameter of the large screw?) in the centre.

Drill and tap 3 x 6mm holes in the end plate and 6mm clearance in the aluminium flange.

Re assemble

Sounds good when you read it fast - but it shouldn't be a big job in a workshop. As I recall there used to be numerous engineers on the north side of Huddersfield mainly servicing ICI etc, but alas they may have gone

regards
Bernard
GaryJohn
Posted 19/05/2011 - 18:46 Link
Thanks again for all of the comments and suggestions.
I have removed the 3 screws that are designed to prevent the head coming off accidentally... and I can't get the head off at all. Been on too long I think. I've done a bit of googling on the subject and I'm not alone in having this problem - and the only solution I have found for it so far is to drill a hole in the side of the old head in order to be able to apply direct leverage to the plate on the top of the centre column, which is currently hidden by the tripod head. As for araldite... I have used this epoxy resin for many things - but would I trust it as the only thing keeping my K10 on the top of the tripod ? I'm not so sure. Anyway - plenty of ideas to be going on with. I'll let you know what happens. Gary
johnwhit
Posted 19/05/2011 - 19:23 Link
Hi Gary, I had one stuck a few years back at work, I managed to gently drift it off with a centre punch and pin hammer. OK it left a small indentation but did the job and allowed me to get on with life

Regards,

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.
GaryJohn
Posted 19/05/2011 - 20:00 Link
johnwhit wrote:
Hi Gary, I had one stuck a few years back at work, I managed to gently drift it off with a centre punch and pin hammer. OK it left a small indentation but did the job and allowed me to get on with life

Regards,

John

Hi John - do you happen to recall where abouts you hit it ? Currently I don't seem able to stop the head rotating [as if I were panning] even when I tighten it as much as I can. I've tried downward pressure [suggested by a guy at Manfrotto] but to no effect - which is why the idea of drilling a hole in the head to be able to hit and rotate the mounting plate whilst keeping the head still seems the best bet.
Gary
johnwhit
Posted 19/05/2011 - 20:21 Link
Hi Gary,

I think there was a couple of mm of the alloy showing beneath the black cover and I hit it there, IIRC there's a liitle play between the plate and actual head itself. Hope this helps,

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.
leytono
Posted 20/05/2011 - 14:04 Link
First of all try squirting Plusgas around the base of the stuck head, its a penetrating spray which works well on this sort of thing, leave overnight then clamp the broken bit in a vice turning the head off
Edited by leytono: 20/05/2011 - 14:24

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.