Mammatus Sky

DrOrloff

Link Posted 24/05/2014 - 19:38
This was a weird sky the other night. These are mammatus clouds, I have never seen them before. They appeared at the back end of a storm and then they disappeared. The whole event took just a few minutes and the clouds were moving pretty fast and at low light so not easy to photograph. I had no chance at all to photograph them as a decent landscape shot, they are just photographed from my garden. The whole sky was affected, a viewing experience that is impossible to capture in a photograph and it was truly breathtaking. I took some shots for the record and with a view to maybe using them as part of a composite image at some point, the sky being so unusual. The first is stitch, 14,000 pixels wide at full size, which gives me some options later on. The second is a single shot at 12mm. I am exhibiting these images in case anyone finds them meteorologically interesting. Critique though is pointless. I am also exhibiting them to demonstrate why 'Your Photos' section might usefully subdivided into those photos that are conducive of critique (such as my gloomy London architecturals) and those where critique is pointless but might be of of interest by dint of the subject matter. I think also with the first it demonstrates the serious limitation of 800pixels wide. It looks like nothing at that width, it looks rather more impressive at a width that fits more snugly the screens that most of us view it on.

You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined
Last Edited by DrOrloff on 24/05/2014 - 19:38

charlottef

Link Posted 24/05/2014 - 19:44
'twas awe inspiring wasn't it - I hadn't seen anything quite like it before either.

DrOrloff

Link Posted 24/05/2014 - 19:47
Got any photos with that big 'ole Nikon of yours? Not here obviously.

DrOrloff

Link Posted 24/05/2014 - 19:50
I would add that the first shot was looking SE and the second shot looking due East. At sunset then for those parts of the sky to be ablaze was quite extraordinary.

charlottef

Link Posted 24/05/2014 - 20:04
tut, tut, you mentioned the N word.

No I didn't take any photos, I just breathed it all in.

I'm glad you did though. You're right about the size - the sky here is so big and those little photos certainly don't do it justice when viewed on here.

I wonder if the little clouds caught up with the storm in time to join in or not. Or maybe they were lost souls racing for the light.

You should certainly be able to make some interesting composites.
Last Edited by charlottef on 24/05/2014 - 20:06

DrOrloff

Link Posted 24/05/2014 - 20:08
If I knew how to composite then I would. I need to speak to Axel another N'er.

Northgrain

Link Posted 24/05/2014 - 20:23
Extraordinary. The first almost looks like some of the images from American prairie skies during major continental storm cells.

Thanks for posting and explaining.
Tim

Some of my vaguely better stuff
Last Edited by Northgrain on 24/05/2014 - 20:24

DrOrloff

Link Posted 24/05/2014 - 20:32

Northgrain

Link Posted 24/05/2014 - 21:27
DrOrloff wrote:
Yes, that is exactly what it is.

Ah! Thanks Dr. Just spent some time checking the phenomenon out. Astonishing. Never seen anything quite like that...although there are snaps on the net of an event in Bingley last year

Just fascinating, and v. lucky to witness.
Tim

Some of my vaguely better stuff

Gravelrash

Link Posted 24/05/2014 - 21:49
I love the second shot...what amazing colours and shapes. Wish I had been there to see it.
Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?

cheekygeek

Link Posted 31/08/2014 - 16:44
Mammatus clouds are a sign of an extremely unstable atmosphere. They are often seen here on the American Great Plains on the underside of a supercell anvil.

The closer they are to the ground, the more impressive they seem, but they are a treat wherever you might see them. To capture them side-lit by the setting sun is especially wonderful. Nice work!
K-3, K-01, *istD, Spotmatic F; Sigma EX: 10-20mm f4-5.6, 31mm f1.4, 50-500mm f4.5-6.3; Tokina AT-X 90mm f2.5 macro (with 1:1); Tamron 01A 35-80mm f2.8-3.8; Flektogon 2.4/35; Pentax: DA 16-45mm f4, F 35-70mm f3.5-4.5, SMC A 50mm f1.7, SMC K 17mm f4, 28mm f3.5, 30mm f2.8, 135mm f2.5, Tele-Takumar 200mm f5.6, 300mm f6.3;
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.