Magazine

johnha
Posted 21/08/2013 - 00:33 Link
JonSchick wrote:
BJP, which varies from fascinating some months to barely worth me opening on others. But it's more about the art of photography rather than technique, which I find refreshing.


Ditto & Ditto - the recent 'themed' issues either work or they don't but I much prefer the monthly format over the old weekly one.

JonSchick wrote:
I also occasionally read Black and White Photography and Outdoor Photographer. AP only on rare occasions. Other monthlies not at all...they get terribly repetitive.
A few months ago, whilst in an airport I picked up Black & White Photography and another (probably Outdoor Photograper - bit of a rush in WH Smiths) - they both had pretty much the same review of the Sigma DP2 Merrill probably by the same author (one a bit more detailed than the other) and that put me off those completely.

I gave up on certain other magazines in the '90s when the 'Q&A' sections were full of questions like "I've just bought an EOS 1n, the manual says it has evaluative metering, how does that differ from spot metering?".

I buy the occasional AP now, the current one with the K-50 review seems to have a lot more advertisers promoting Pentax than I previously remember.

John.
Smeggypants
Posted 21/08/2013 - 01:09 Link
McGregNi wrote:
No! I'm always in constant need of reminder that in autumn I should try some shots of fallen leaves - in Spring why not get out and shoot some newly budding crocuses - in winter I should dust off that camera bag and get close-up to that giant slug in my garden - and in all seasons there's a wealth of photogenic spots in the amazingly wide range of national parks throughout the UK. Oh, and I should really keep myself dry and cosy in a brand new David Storm.... no sorry, its Peter Storm, weatherproof top.
+

JonSchick wrote:
Don't forget the wedding issue, the black and white issue, how to make moving water look like milk, light painting, oh and the compulsory HDR article!
+

McGregNi wrote:
Light painting .... ah yes - I always felt I wasn't a serious photographer until I'd spent a night out in a graveyard using long exposures ('set b on your camera mode dial - this stands for bulb mode and allows .....') waving a torch around and capturing the gravestones using a range of different coloured lighting gels which I should affix to the torch .... The variety of effects I could capture will truly open up the creative side of my photography .....
Comment Image



LOL at the above and one of the reasons why I don't go anywhere near Camera Magazines. I don't even read the fro free if I'm passing the shelves in Tescos

The only camera media I look at ( Apart from forums ) is DPreview's newsfeed and occasionally DigitalREVTV becuase I like Kai. Oh and Rice high maybe once a month
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
johnha
Posted 21/08/2013 - 01:31 Link
I was surprised to see one photo magazine do a sleeping bag review "One night you might find yourself camping on a remote hill top and the right sleeping bag will allow a comfortable night's sleep enabling you to wake fresher for your days shooting...".

Funny thing was they were all £2-300 sleeping bags, no doubt the review was borrowed from a sister 'outdoorsy' magazine. Presumably in exchange for them to run a "Why you really need a supremely expensive/complicated camera for your next night out camping..." article.

Don't forget the obligatory firework issue in October (unless its been replaced by the Halloween issue these days).
fritzthedog
Posted 21/08/2013 - 08:14 Link
Digital Photography magazine - subscribed for a couple of years and then one day was going through the pile of back issues and realised they had run out of anything new to say several months earlier!

Long time AP subscriber but even ended this back in spring after I realised that I had a pile of 8 unopened issues and that I rarely read more than 6 pages.

I expect I will go back to AP at some point - which to me is more of a newspaper than magazine

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo