Madrid snow

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 11/01/2021 - 08:10
This month marks fifteen years since I moved to Madrid from Edinburgh, and though it can get very cold in winter, I never thought I'd see the city as I have in the last few days - blanketed in a layer up to 40cm deep of snow. This morning I'm sure it will all be hard and icy as temperatures dipped to -10ºC overnight and my weather app still shows that as the current temperature at this moment, with the sun just up.

On Saturday when it was still snowing I ventured out with my K3 and DA 16-85mm to take some shots around my area. The gear worked perfectly despite the poor conditions. I shot in manual mode, tweaking the settings as needed for the light.

Snow panorama 1a
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Lone yellow jacket

Benches in snow

Park in snow

Park snow

The cold seat

Churrería

Abandoned in the snow

The road

Feel the magic

Building in snow

Snowy trees

The weight

The snowman

Skier
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Last Edited by Jonathan-Mac on 11/01/2021 - 08:22

LennyBloke

Link Posted 11/01/2021 - 08:27
Saw these on your Flickr yesterday Jonathan - thought for a minute you'd returned to Scotland
LennyBloke

Lubbyman

Link Posted 11/01/2021 - 11:07
A fine record of what must surely be a once in a lifetime event . Are people muttering 'Climate change'?

Steve

jvs

Link Posted 11/01/2021 - 16:04
Lubbyman wrote:
A fine record of what must surely be a once in a lifetime event .

Steve

Agreed.
John

bforbes

Link Posted 11/01/2021 - 16:16
Is it getting you home sick
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

davidwozhere

Link Posted 12/01/2021 - 01:03
Lone Yellow jacket stands out to me but they are all beautifully descriptive and lots of different ways.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link
Last Edited by davidwozhere on 12/01/2021 - 01:03

08tiger

Link Posted 12/01/2021 - 08:55
It even made the news here in Oz
C&C welcome.
Don.

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 12/01/2021 - 09:58
Lubbyman wrote:
A fine record of what must surely be a once in a lifetime event . Are people muttering 'Climate change'?

Steve

Not that I've heard. This is the heaviest snowfall here since 1971 so it does happen occasionally.

Now it's all ice as we have a very cold spell which re-freezes anything that does manage to thaw a bit during the day. A&E was full of people with fractures from falling on the ice so this morning I took precautions and wore some metal-studded things on my shoes for extra grip and they worked well.

I've known it to reach 47ºC in the summer and last night it dipped to -13ºC, so a 60º range from highest to lowest in the time I've been here.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

womble

Link Posted 12/01/2021 - 14:35
Great set. I especially like the cold seat. K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Sry

Link Posted 12/01/2021 - 21:17
Definitely feeling the snow and cold in these, John. Reminds me of my childhood years in western Massachussetts - I loved waking up in the morning after a snowstorm, great memories. Today? Well, I could manage a day or two of the stuff, but nostalgia only goes so far...

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 15/01/2021 - 10:57
Lone yellow jacket and cold seat for me also. I can see some mono conversions coming on!

Gutted here is Wales - no snow. Scotland yes, even Madrid has it but Wales, nope! We have blinking rain!
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm ii HSM Macro - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.