Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Macro ring flash / lens adapter question

Mannesty
Posted 22/10/2005 - 13:54 Link
Hi all,

I'm looking for a widget that I'm not sure exists. I have an interest in macro photography and I want to be able to fit my Vivitar 6000AF ring flash (AF140C when I can afford one) to a reversed Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 lens. If there is an adapter that will allow PK bayonet lenses to be used with the older M42 screw lens cameras (or any other screw lens system for that matter), that'd be a start. One option would be to make one from a trashed body I guess.

Can anybody offer any suggestions as to where I might find such a device. I've tried that online auction place, no joy so far.

Thanks, Pete.
Kim C
Posted 22/10/2005 - 18:12 Link
Hi,
It would be very difficult to fit a K mount lens to an M42 camera the normal way because the lens throat is too small. If you want to mount the lens reversed, no problem! Just get a reverse adapter designed for M42. As this fits the filter thread of the lens and the 1.7 shares the same 49mm thread as most of the M42 it should work nicely

Kim
Mannesty
Posted 22/10/2005 - 20:46 Link
Thanks Kim but I think you have misunderstood, or I haven't explained it properly. All of my kit is PK Bayonet. My PK-A 50mm will be reversed leaving its mount exposed. I need an adapter that fits the lenses K bayonet lens mount and has a thread to attach a ring flash.

I did find an earlier post which indicated such a thing exists and Pentax did indeed make it and it is still listed on the Pentax Japan site. They call it a Reverse Ring Light Holder K Photos here ( http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/macro/rev_ring_light-i.jpg & http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/macro/rev_ring_light-ii.jpg)

Anybody got one that they don't use any more ?

Regards, Pete.
Kim C
Posted 22/10/2005 - 21:25 Link
Hi,
Sorry, you appeared to be talking about M42 boddies and I made 2 and 2 make 5 I haven't seen one of these and I rather suspect it will be one of those odd things that nobody ever has. 2 suggestions. You may find the the auto bellows unit would help. This effectively has a mount with ring the other side that the bellows clamps onto in the normal position. You can see what I mean if you have a look at the manual on my website. The second would be to talk to SRB, they do all sorts of adapters including custom made ones. http://www.srbfilm.co.uk/

Kim
Mannesty
Posted 23/10/2005 - 09:19 Link
Kim, Thanks for the link. They certainly have a huge range of bits & pieces. I can't find what I'm looking for in their extensive list but I'll give them a call. I'm wondering if one of their C-Mount adapters might work with a bit of modification.
Regards, Pete.
Kimbo
Posted 23/10/2005 - 16:51 Link
I'm not sure such a thing exists either but if I understand correctly, you're looking for a reversing ring but with a female bayonet instead of the normal male.
I suppose you could make one up from the front mounting plate from a scrap camera body and fixing an adapter ring (like the ones used with Cokin filters) onto the reverse side. Assuming it would be possible, you'd have to be careful to ensure that the lens's aperture coupling couldn't be damaged but it would certainly be an interesting project!
Die my dear doctor, that's the last thing I shall do!
Kim C
Posted 23/10/2005 - 17:32 Link
Hi Again,
If you do decide to try and make your own adpter, drop me a PM. I have several old "parts" bodies and could probably donate a front plate to hack apart.

Kim
Mannesty
Posted 24/10/2005 - 01:04 Link
You're right Kimbo, The home-made adapter needs a female 'K' Bayonet mount from a dead camera.

Thanks Kim C. That's a generous offer I can't refuse. I'm keen to make one of these but there is absolutely no rush.
I've actually got a Super-A which which has a temperamental shutter release but I just can't bring myself to wreck it completely for this project. If anyone has an old K-mount camera that is beyond saving I'd be grateful. This adapter will not be needing the electrical contacts from an 'A mount' model.

Pardon my ignorance but . . . what's a PM ?
Post Mortem I know, but I don't think you mean that
Mannesty
Posted 24/10/2005 - 01:05 Link
Doh . . . I've just seen the Private Message button.
Mannesty
Posted 03/11/2005 - 07:17 Link
Whilst reading another post there was a reference to Pentax price list being listed on this site. When I checked it I found:-

Reverse Ring Light Holder K for £27.99. I'm pretty sure that's the widget I'm after.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.