M42 to K mount adaptors

AndrewA

Link Posted 20/03/2013 - 20:04
Hi all, I am going to look for a M42 to K mount adaptor and was wondering what the 3rd party options are like by way of quality?

Or, should I just go for a Pentax original?

Thanks,
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link

PeterKR

Link Posted 20/03/2013 - 20:51
Hi Andrew

I have several cheap 3rd party adaptors from China and there are 2 points to note as there are 2 different types:-

1. To get the full focus range to infinity you need the type that fits inside the camera mount completely. The problem with these is that you may never get them out again ! They have a small spring on the side to grip the camera and stop them coming loose.

However, I simply removed the spring (it is held by a small screw) and found that it IS OK and not too loose - just don't carry the camera around with an expensive lens attached !

2. The second type has a thin flange which sits OUTSIDE the camera mount and thus offsets the lens making focus to infinity difficult (it is effectively a small extension tube !)

However, this type has a slot which locates on the camera lens lock so is perfectly safe and easy to remove

Given these two factors I normally use the flange type as I'm usually using my M42 lenses for close up work.

Either type are only a couple of pounds (free delivery !) so it is worth a try ?

Good luck
Peter

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 20/03/2013 - 21:34
I have two genuine adapters and wouldn't trust anything else. I once had a third party one stuck on the camera and had to have a camera repair technician remove it. Never again.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

PeterKR

Link Posted 20/03/2013 - 21:36
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
I have two genuine adapters and wouldn't trust anything else. I once had a third party one stuck on the camera and had to have a camera repair technician remove it. Never again.

But see my warning and solution under No 1 above !

Peter

davidstorm

Link Posted 20/03/2013 - 22:11
Drew, come and see me or remind me to show you the adaptors on my lenses next time we're out on a shoot. You absolutely do not have to pay out for genuine Pentax ones and I am happy to show you why! Mine cost around £7 each, there is no risk of them getting stuck on my cameras and no risk of the lenses accidentally coming off. I've used them a lot, with no issues.

Peter KR's point (1) above is valid to a degree - yes you should remove the screw and fix the adaptor permanently to your lens; this means there is no risk of it getting stuck and it is far more user-friendly. It is possible to make them fit as tight as you wish, so there's no problem using the adaptors with heavy lenses and no risk of the lens inadvertently 'coming off'. Someone with your DIY skills would find it easy to drill a small hole to make the lens 'lock' on the camera body, exactly as a normal K-mount lens does. I haven't bothered with this, but it is easy to do if required.

I would stongly recommend you do not use the flange type that is mentioned above - you will lose infinity focus and I don't think this would work for you.

Give me a ring on the mobile if you'd like to have a chat about this - I've done this a fair few times and have a system that works well.

Cheers
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Last Edited by davidstorm on 20/03/2013 - 22:13

giofi

Link Posted 20/03/2013 - 22:17
David,

Can you please tell me which adapter you use? Thanks
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery

davidstorm

Link Posted 20/03/2013 - 22:25
giofi wrote:
David,

All mine are from this ebay supplier:

link

No problems with any of them, I've bought six or seven so far. The trick with these is knowing how to fit them. Leave them permanently on the lens, screwed down very tightly. Remove the spring clip first. Use a paper gasket between the Adaptor and the lens body - this is to regulate the fit in the camera bayonet - thinner paper = tighter fit, thicker paper = looser fit. The paper should not be visible - it needs carefully cutting out - use the adaptor as a template to draw around and then cut around the inner and outer circles to make a ring of paper which fits around the M42 thread on the lens and then the adaptor is screwed down over the gasket to seal the gasket between the adaptor and the lens body.

Piece of cake, 100% reliable, no hassles, easy to use the lenses now, just like a bayonet lens!

Cheers
David

Flickr

johnha

Link Posted 20/03/2013 - 23:43
I only use the genuine adapters, although I don't understand why they are now so expensive. I bought mine in the '90s when new from Pentax they were £20 ish. Obviously a lot has happened since then, and bringing new life into the M42s is now more prominent with web auction sites provide a world-wide market. I can remember trying to give away good lenses in the '90s and nobody wanted them at all (fortunately for me).

I understand wanting to keep the adapter on the lens may have advantages, but you're risking jamming something unless you check the adapter is mounted correctly to the lens before doing so - minimising the advantage to some degree.
PPG Flickr

davidstorm

Link Posted 21/03/2013 - 00:21
There's no risk of anything jamming if the adaptor is correctly fitted; this is an easy task and only needs doing once. At under £8 each there's no reason not to have them permanently fixed and I'm unsure why this 'minimises the advantage'? It makes each M42 lens so easy to use; as far as I can tell there are no downsides to this method.

Regards
David

Flickr

Last Edited by davidstorm on 21/03/2013 - 00:22

giofi

Link Posted 21/03/2013 - 05:50
davidstorm wrote:
giofi wrote:
David,

All mine are from this ebay supplier:

link

Cheers
David

Thanks David
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery

Father Ted

Link Posted 21/03/2013 - 12:09
Good timing on this thread.
I've just bought an M42 fit slide converter thingy!
My mother in law died recently and there are lots of slides. My slide scanner is playing silly beggars, everything is slightly out of focus, so I took a pop at a slide copier lens on ebay and got it. Next is the M42 adapter. Now I know what to look for.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

AndrewA

Link Posted 23/03/2013 - 09:47
Thanks all for your input, I shall mull it over!
Andrew

PPG link
Flickr link

womble

Link Posted 23/03/2013 - 09:54
davidstorm wrote:
It makes each M42 lens so easy to use; as far as I can tell there are no downsides to this method.

One tiny one for us weirdos... I wouldn't then be able to use the lenses on my ES/ESII etc. Funnily enough, I mainly use my M42 lenses on the cameras for which they were designed!

If you're only ever going to use them on K-bayonets I can see your method has much to recommend it.

I have one genuine adapter I have had for some time. My only gripe is that I can never find it when I want it!

Cheers, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

davidstorm

Link Posted 23/03/2013 - 10:03
That's a very good point Kris! I don't own any M42 cameras, so not an issue for me, but clearly a non-starter for you!

Regards
David

Flickr

AndrewA

Link Posted 23/03/2013 - 10:20
I have a Spotmatic, so the lens does have a natural home, but it is so sharp I wanted to try it on the K5.
Andrew

PPG link
Flickr link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.