M37 to k mount adapter

theonenadeem

Link Posted 25/06/2016 - 01:24
Urban myth or does such a device exist

Also i understand that an m37 to m42 adapter attached to an m42 to k mount adapter allows light to leak . Is there a specific set up that would avoid this .

Regards

johnriley

Link Posted 25/06/2016 - 07:48
I'm sure they exist, and if properly engineered there's no need for any light leak.

However, 37mm thread lenses are probably for rangefinder cameras and the back focus will be too short for a DSLR. This would mean no infinity focus, so close ups only. If lens elements were added into an adapter then infinity focus might be possible, but perhaps with loss of quality.
Best regards, John

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 25/06/2016 - 07:54
Weren't M37 lenses for SLRs around before M42 lenses? The size had to be increased to allow newer, faster lenses to be used.

I've never come across an adaptor, but then, i think I've only ever come across one M37 lens in my years of acquiring photographic equipment.

Edit: yes, M37 was pre-M42. I found some links which could be useful. The second one is a French company selling adapters, though obviously I don't know if light will leak.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/173206-asahi...
http://www.labaguephoto.com/en/adapter-ring-various-mount/489-m37-mount-adapter-...
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Last Edited by Jonathan-Mac on 25/06/2016 - 07:57

johnriley

Link Posted 25/06/2016 - 08:49
The Asahiflex to Pentax M42 adapter was available in the early days of the screw thread cameras. I think Asahiflex was M37 as well.
Best regards, John

Horst

Link Posted 25/06/2016 - 09:48
I use an Asahiflex 50mm lens with the 37 to M42 adapter.

The adapter is or was available on Ebay.

The light leak is not the fault of the 37 mm adapter,
There are 2 reasons, why the light leaks.

1.) the 42mm to K adapter has 2 slots on the side, to be able to remove it again.
2.)This does not matter with the Takumar or similar lenses, But the Asahiflex lens has a smaller back and does not cover the the adapter completely.
I fitted a black rubber or Neopreen ring on to the back of the lens. This fixed the problem.

The50mm Asahiflex lenses are well made and very sharp, due to its Tessar copy design.

Regards, Horst

Horst

Link Posted 25/06/2016 - 09:54
Here is the Ebay number for a 37mm to M42 adapter. this is from the USA.

Regards, Horst

theonenadeem

Link Posted 25/06/2016 - 14:50
Thanks to everyone who posted.
Its good to know that the Takumers are not affected by light leaks.
I think its nice to add some legacy lens as well as modern lens.
I will follow the links.

Regards

Horst

Link Posted 26/06/2016 - 02:45
Johnreiley wrote:

Quote:
The Asahiflex to Pentax M42 adapter was available in the early days of the screw thread cameras. I think Asahiflex was M37 as well.

John, this is true, however the latest models of the Asahiflex cameras had also a M42 mount.
Same looking and type of lens, but with the larger mount.

I had on of these, but stupidly sold it.

Regards, Horst
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.