Lydith 30mm 3.5 vs Takumar 35mm 3.5?

Benz3ne

Link Posted 22/03/2020 - 22:32
Decisions folks! Iím potentially in the market for a 30/35mm (having owned a Flek 35/2.8 zebra with issues previously) and these two have come to my attention. Which would you go for and why? Or should I start looking again at Flekís (probably 35/2.4ís this time) which are currently considerably spendier than the two mentioned?

Any/all input welcome!

P.s. the Takís have an undeniable reputation but the close focus of 33cm for the Lydith/Pentacon are both factors Iím considering.

johnriley

Link Posted 22/03/2020 - 22:45
The Lydith 30mm always had a good reputation, but I haven't found one to try on digital yet. The Super Takumar and SMC Takumar lenses are excellent without reservation.
Best regards, John

Helpful

HarisF1

Link Posted 22/03/2020 - 23:04
K 30/2.8

Helpful

davidwozhere

Link Posted 23/03/2020 - 01:28
If you go for the Lydith (I find it slightly sharper and it does good close up) then look at the Pentacon 30mm too - it's a Lydith and they are a lot cheaper due to not having the Meyer name on them.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Helpful

Benz3ne

Link Posted 23/03/2020 - 09:24
HarisF1 wrote:
K 30/2.8

Easy, you!

Benz3ne

Link Posted 23/03/2020 - 09:27
johnriley wrote:
The Lydith 30mm always had a good reputation, but I haven't found one to try on digital yet. The Super Takumar and SMC Takumar lenses are excellent without reservation.

Thanks John! I've seen a number of comments about the variations in these lenses insofar as some copies are stellar and a number have been/are decentred. I'll keep an eye out for one, the Pentacon version does seem to come up cheaper...

... but I'm frightfully aware of one Tak in the classifieds which is screaming to me!

Benz3ne

Link Posted 23/03/2020 - 09:28
davidwozhere wrote:
If you go for the Lydith (I find it slightly sharper and it does good close up) then look at the Pentacon 30mm too - it's a Lydith and they are a lot cheaper due to not having the Meyer name on them.

Agreed, that's what I've spotted from my general searchings (circa £50-70 for the Lydith, some as low as £20 for the Pentacon). Madness as they're one of the same!
I think I'll look to grab one. I've got an idea of budget in my head so if I find the Pentacon cheap I'll be able to sort the Tak too (if I'm quick)!

Benz3ne

Link Posted 23/03/2020 - 12:50
Well, things escalated quickly. I now have one of each on their way to me!

johnriley

Link Posted 23/03/2020 - 12:53
That's one way to solve any dilemma!
Best regards, John

Benz3ne

Link Posted 23/03/2020 - 13:09
johnriley wrote:
That's one way to solve any dilemma!

Tell me about it! Saves me trawling through the likes of eBay too!

PeterKR

Link Posted 23/03/2020 - 14:42
davidwozhere wrote:

I'll second that for the Pentacon 30 f/3.5.
It was the first lens I bought of ebay after I got my Kr in 2011. I paid the massive price of £6.01 for it !
Here is one of the images I took in 2012. It was taken late afternoon as the sun was fading :-

Peter

Helpful

Benz3ne

Link Posted 23/03/2020 - 14:49
PeterKR wrote:
I'll second that for the Pentacon 30 f/3.5.
It was the first lens I bought of ebay after I got my Kr in 2011. I paid the massive price of £6.01 for it !
Here is one of the images I took in 2012. It was taken late afternoon as the sun was fading :-

Peter

Great shot here, Peter! Looking forward to receiving mine! It didn't cost quite as little as £6.01 but it was still a bargain all the same! Can't wait to have a fiddle with it.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 23/03/2020 - 23:46
Since you now have both perhaps you can show us both?
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Benz3ne

Link Posted 24/03/2020 - 08:16
davidwozhere wrote:
Since you now have both perhaps you can show us both?

I shall do as soon as they arrive! I'll include sample pics when my camera is back in my sanitised mitts as well!

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 24/03/2020 - 08:20
Benz3ne wrote:
Well, things escalated quickly. I now have one of each on their way to me!

Such dilemmas are always best resolved with a "buy both and choose" approach. Having said that, I usually choose to keep both... but the dilemma is resolved.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Helpful
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.