Lost photos help please.

AuraTodd

Link Posted 13/12/2013 - 00:26
I am really really devastated at the mo because I had a prob with the DPI (c my other post) so I tpok it round a a friend who said she could check the settings for me.

Because she not used a digital canera before an works professally with film, she accidently formatted all my photos.

Sorry for spelling mistakes as I cant c proper thro crying. I have bin told they cant b recovered which is a huge blow to me.

I should have never let her hold it, this is one of a string of setbacks to happen to me this week. Can anyone advise wot I should do pleaze?

A lot of shots I'll ave to redo, except a Christmas tree festival which is over.
Always be kind to people

link

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059

link

Aero

Link Posted 13/12/2013 - 01:08
The first thing to do it not to panic. They're only photos. The next thing is don't take any more photos on the card or fiddle with it in any way until you have appropriate software to try to recover the images. Many pieces of software claim to recover files from formatted cards. This link could be a starting point, but I'd wait until other members of the forum with specific expertise with this problem respond. I've got a couple of paid-for programmes (programs, if you prefer) that work well with recovering deleted filed but others will have more experience with accidentally formatted cards.

Al
Last Edited by Aero on 13/12/2013 - 01:10

kh1234567890

Link Posted 13/12/2013 - 01:12
Do not save anything else to that card. Put the little slide tab to write protect.

Try Recuva. It is free and works most of the time.
Flickr Stream

gartmore

Link Posted 13/12/2013 - 08:05
Were the photos on your hard drive or SD card? They can almost certainly be recovered
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

johnriley

Link Posted 13/12/2013 - 08:45
I'm a bit puzzled as to how your friend could check anything for you if she hadn't used a digital camera before, but in any event you should be able to retrieve all or most of your images.
Best regards, John

Dodge69

Link Posted 13/12/2013 - 08:58
Yes they can definitely be recovered, Recuva is one of a host of free programs you can use
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!

stub

Link Posted 13/12/2013 - 10:06
Except recuva is not a free program. unless you have less than 20MB... |You can scan the card but have to pay to recover...
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

AuraTodd

Link Posted 13/12/2013 - 10:15
Thanks for your kind replies

Quote:
Put the little slide tab to write protect

is that in the camera, and how do I get to that? I got into a bit of a panic last night as I thought I had lost everything, I went round castle cameras this morning and apparently they have recovered 500 images! I didn't know I had taken that many, going to cost me £15 to have it put on disk apparently.

Thanks for the link Aero thats very useful.

Quote:
'm a bit puzzled as to how your friend could check anything for you if she hadn't used a digital camera before

She still works with film and has a Hasselblad camera.
Always be kind to people

link

link

kh1234567890

Link Posted 13/12/2013 - 11:19
Hopefully a lesson learned.

You should really not keep your photos only in your camera. Copy them to your computer as soon as you can and preferably also to somewhere else. For example you can sign up for a free Flickr account and upload your photos to there (and set them as 'private' if you don't want anyone else to see them).
Flickr Stream

kh1234567890

Link Posted 13/12/2013 - 11:34
stub wrote:
Except recuva is not a free program. unless you have less than 20MB... |You can scan the card but have to pay to recover...

The only difference between the free and paid for versions of Recuva is that you don't get any support with the free one.
Flickr Stream

sterretje

Link Posted 13/12/2013 - 19:37
Another program to consider is photorec.

And as said before, copy them to your computer.
Pentax K10D + Vivitar 55/2.8 macro + Super Takumar 55/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 85/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 135/3.5 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 200/4 + Super Takumar 300/4
Pentax K100D + DA18-55ALII + DA55-300
Pentax K5 + FA31Ltd + M50/1.7 + DFA100WR + M120/2.8 (+ DA18-55WR at occasion)

AuraTodd

Link Posted 14/12/2013 - 17:52
Got the disk back from the shop, half of them couldn't be saved as the person who did it said a lot of the files have corrupted. I had a chance to show some of my work to a church of the Christmas tree festival, now it's been taken away from me (as is per usual) and I now have nothing. A lot of the photo's are obscured by a grey blank screen with only a slither showing at the top, I might of well have saved myself £15, and not bothered with it at all.

It may not be a big deal to some people, but it is to me. A lot I can take again but it's things like a sunset, and something which only happens once a year. My life seems nothig but full of disapointing set backs at the moment. Really depressed I should never have taken the camera to her, and this would never have happened.
Always be kind to people

link

link

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 14/12/2013 - 18:03
The best thing to take away from this is the experience Mate. Now you know the importance of backing things up!
I don't consider things safe until I have them in 3 separate locations.

pentaxian450

Link Posted 14/12/2013 - 18:04
I'm sorry for you, AuraTodd.

Hopefully, this misadventure won't happen to you anymore.

That said, never trust anyone with your original files. Always use copies for whatever work must be done.

As for your life being full of disappointments, I'm sure if you think properly, you'll see a lot of little "lights" that bring some joy to it.

Good luck!
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

michaelblue

Link Posted 14/12/2013 - 18:36
I also lost about 200 photos I took on a wildlife safari trip in Tanzania.
At the time it was 'the end of the world' but of course looking back it wasn't. Since then my photography has improved and those 'lost' photos would probably get deleted today as 'rejects'.
I'm sure the same will apply to you, so don't be put off by this 'setback'
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.