Looking for Orchids

redbusa99

Link Posted 24/04/2019 - 15:42
on our local Common and Wood but none to be found so made do with what was there. hoping next week will be better after the rain and it will be a sea of Purple Orchids whereas it is a sea of Yellow Cowslips at the moment.

1."White Bluebell" not sure if it the rare British or a Spanish Hybrid

2. and a Pink one

3. one of the last few Wood Anenome

4. Catching the Light

5. Cowslip

6. Tentacles

7 The main reason for the Common having an SSI designation, the Duke of Burgundy Butterfly. a skitish little beggar.

K3 II and the odd lens or 2

Flickr
Last Edited by redbusa99 on 24/04/2019 - 15:44

HarisF1

Link Posted 24/04/2019 - 16:00
Very nice images, a bit of a dreamy feel with the tasteful PP. Looks slightly film-y too.

derek897

Link Posted 24/04/2019 - 17:23
HarisF1 wrote:
Very nice images, a bit of a dreamy feel with the tasteful PP. Looks slightly film-y too.

They do,
I like these and your pp.
1, 2 and 4 for me, love the shadow detail in 4, the light is spot on too.
Cowslips, wow, haven't seen those in donkeys years.
I know what i like, If not always why.

alfpics

Link Posted 24/04/2019 - 18:23
Nice spot of this (rare-ish) butterfly. I like no 4 lighting, and also the cowslips - nice background
Andy

LennyBloke

Link Posted 25/04/2019 - 07:21
Nice selection and a good variety of PP again - Catching the Light is my top pick
LennyBloke

MrB

Link Posted 25/04/2019 - 08:39
A good set - I like your use of vignetting which works well for these shots. In the butterfly shot, perhaps consider toning down (or cloning out) the very bright bit in the centre of the frame.

Philip

redbusa99

Link Posted 25/04/2019 - 10:22
thanks for comments. re the vignette , there is always a lot of clutter around these flowers so it is the simplest way to subdue it i find. Andy, i had 4 or 5 of them fluttering around . have been at this site in the past and saw around a dozen species of butterfly in about 1/2 hr plus some scarce orchids. Derek, the whole common is covered in Cowslips, always is this time of year then the orchids appear, Early Purples and Pyramid, after that a whole variety appear. when the flowers are disappearing you start to see all the different grasses before the cattle are back on to graze it down. i feel so lucky to have this place on my doorstep just to go and wander around when i want to.
K3 II and the odd lens or 2

Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.