Looking for my first Pentax camera please help!

tee17

Link Posted 01/08/2016 - 06:32

Hello!

I have been taking photographs daily with different kinds of cameras for about a year now, usually use my phone or a compact camera. Did the job however now I am taking photography seriously and enjoying it and plan to go to uni , I am an older prospective student and would like some advice on DSLR cameras. My friend suggested to me to join this forum and to get a pentax ... There are lots of brands/models out there for DSLRs. I know different photographers have different specs to their process. At this stage I would like to buy pentax camera that has a reasonable amount of functions to give me a variety so that I can switch things up as when I need to. Good focus. Long distance. I am always confused about pixels , some people tell me that you only really need higher pixels for high resolution photos. Some swear that it makes the photos more crisper? anyways I have found a bunch of cameras, all pentax : P 6457, K-1, K-3, K-3 11, K-70 , K-52 to XG-1. They all range in pixels and quality and of course price. I dont mind paying a decent price as it will last through uni. Something that is a good between a beginners and a pro... dont want something to basic. I learn fast and can pick things up fairly easily. I have played around with friends in the past alittle. Would love to get one soon so any reviews on pentax cameras would be great! thanks
Last Edited by tee17 on 01/08/2016 - 06:42

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 01/08/2016 - 08:09
Hello and welcome to the forum. You've chosen a good place to start looking at DSLRs

Megapixels are certainly not the most important feature of a digital camera. These days I wouldn't worry about it at all as all digital SLR and mirrorless cameras have good resolution. There are far more important factors to take into account.

From your description of what you want, I would say that the K-3 or K-3 mark II would be the best camera from Pentax for your needs. The photo you posted is the new, full-frame K-1, which has a bigger sensor but a price-tag and weight to match. I certainly wouldn't recommend a full frame camera to someone who's just getting interested in photography.

The K-3 is a full-featured and robust camera which is extremely capable and which has superb image quality. The main difference between the original K-3 and the mark II is that the former has an in-built flash while the latter uses the space for a GPS unit instead. You decide but for my money an in-built flash is far, far more useful, so I would track down an original K-3 rather than the mark II. You'll probably be able to get it a bit cheaper too. The robust metal body will make it more likely to last a good length of time and take a few knocks. You won't find any other camera close to the K-3 in price with that level of build quality.

The K-3 has a long, long list of features which stretch well into what is regarded as the professional or very advanced amateur photographer's territory. It's hard to imagine you finding the camera a limiting factor in you photography.

Have a look online at user reviews and magazine reviews and see if you think the camera sounds right for you. Bear in mind that the industry press has (in general) an anti-Pentax stance and will often recommend Canon and Nikon over Pentax simply because the "big two" pay for more advertising space in their pages, so take any such advice from those sources with a pinch of salt. Once you've had a deeper look you may find you have more specific questions you'd like to ask.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Last Edited by Jonathan-Mac on 01/08/2016 - 08:12

Helpful

McGregNi

Link Posted 01/08/2016 - 08:12
Hello, and welcome! Do you have a budget in mind, how much money? There are lenses to think about as well.

Jonathon just beat me to it, but great minds think alike clearly! Assuming you can afford it, then the original K3 is the one for you. Good value now and lots to learn about and experiment with. It has the flash also, which most people still value as an important addition. It's got all you could want really. Personally I'd get it body only, and choose a couple of good lenses from that start.

So that's it .... Don't take any notice of anyone else's advice, or you'll just end up confused and thinking that every Pentax camera is the one for you!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 01/08/2016 - 08:14

JohnX

Link Posted 01/08/2016 - 08:26
I'm not going to disagree with the recommendation for the K3 yet, but feel it would help if you could say what your preferred photo subjects are, and if there are any areas you'd like to concentrate on.

For example, both the K1, K-S2 and new K70 have articulating rear lcd screens which could prove useful for macro work in the field - bugs, fungi, etc. The K1 and K3II have pixel shift, which could be useful for architecture and still life, etc.

AndrewA

Link Posted 01/08/2016 - 09:40
An idea of your budget and the type of photography would help us point you in the right direction tee, but I'll add what I can and hopefully it may be of help.

If a DSLR is what you are after, then you could start 2nd hand with anything from the K7 up through the K5 and K5II ranges to the K3, and then upgrade if you find Pentax is for you. For me however I would have a look at either a K5II or K5IIs, good value 2nd hand and used by a good few us on the forum.

But the one thing I learnt (and not quickly enough) that would be of benefit to you was that some quality lenses make such a difference to your photography.

Good luck with your search!
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link

swarf

Link Posted 01/08/2016 - 10:36
I'd agree with many of the points raised above, but in particularly the one about what type of photography you are most intersest in - or indeed whether you haven't settled on a preference yet. Secondly, an idea of your rough budget would help.

A point that several have made is that there some very good second hand cameras available which you can buy with confidence from 'proper' photographic stores - have a look through the forum here, and you will see some very highly rated stores mentioned. This can save you quite a bit over buying a new camera, which you can invest in lenses - a point raised by Andrew & Nigel above.

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link

Simonmac

Link Posted 01/08/2016 - 10:52
Good luck with your photography!

I would only add that the K3 is a cracking camera but may be a little daunting. All that metal is lovely though.

The upcoming K70 looks swish- and it has the articulating screen that the K3 lacks. Some folk find a swivelling screen useful.

Whatever you decide- enjoy!!!!

Cheers

Simon
macmccreery.com
www.flickr.com/photos/simac/
www.500px.com/simac

RobL

Link Posted 01/08/2016 - 14:11
Another consideration is that the K-1 works best with full frame lenses which are expensive whereas the other Pentax models with a smaller APS-C sensor have a wide range of excellent lenses available at much more affordable prices.

johnriley

Link Posted 01/08/2016 - 19:20
If I were buying a camera for general holiday/family type use I would be thinking of the K-S2. If I was joining a camera club, aiming at competitions, having aspirations beyond to more serious use then I'd be looking at the K-S2 or K-3 (if I wanted a built in flash) or K-3 II (if I didn't).

If we're talking second hand then a K-5 would be hard to beat.
Best regards, John
Last Edited by johnriley on 01/08/2016 - 19:20

tee17

Link Posted 02/08/2016 - 07:22
McGregNi wrote:
Hello, and welcome! Do you have a budget in mind, how much money? There are lenses to think about as well.

Jonathon just beat me to it, but great minds think alike clearly! Assuming you can afford it, then the original K3 is the one for you. Good value now and lots to learn about and experiment with. It has the flash also, which most people still value as an important addition. It's got all you could want really. Personally I'd get it body only, and choose a couple of good lenses from that start.

So that's it .... Don't take any notice of anyone else's advice, or you'll just end up confused and thinking that every Pentax camera is the one for you!

budget is around 1000-1500 for a decent buy... or could buy second hand it its decent and not been used so much... looks like the k-3 is good thanks

tee17

Link Posted 02/08/2016 - 07:23
JohnX wrote:
I'm not going to disagree with the recommendation for the K3 yet, but feel it would help if you could say what your preferred photo subjects are, and if there are any areas you'd like to concentrate on.

For example, both the K1, K-S2 and new K70 have articulating rear lcd screens which could prove useful for macro work in the field - bugs, fungi, etc. The K1 and K3II have pixel shift, which could be useful for architecture and still life, etc.

nice one ! broadens it from the K-3 , will check those out thanks!

tee17

Link Posted 02/08/2016 - 07:24
seems the K-1 to K-5 are looking good from peoples suggestions! ah i cant pick! will do some more research! can you change lenses fairly easily with these? cheers

McGregNi

Link Posted 02/08/2016 - 07:35
It's easy. There's a red dot on the lenses to line up with a red dot on the mount plate, then you turn clockwise to lock in place.

Releasing is with a button on the camera, press and turn the lens anticlockwise, then it comes off.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

tee17

Link Posted 03/08/2016 - 04:52
Quote:
I would only add that the K3 is a cracking camera but may be a little daunting. All that metal is lovely though.

The upcoming K70 looks swish- and it has the articulating screen that the K3 lacks. Some folk find a swivelling screen useful.

Whatever you decide- enjoy!!!!

Cheers

Simon

cheers simon will check it out!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.