Looking for lens suggestions Pentax K10D

chrisbates

Link Posted 16/09/2014 - 13:18
Hi,

I recently bought a Pentax K10D and although it's now an older camera I am very pleased with it. I am in possession of a very old 500mmm lens (2nd hand for 25 in 1989) this is okay-ish for aircraft photos but obviously has really severe limitations not least the darkness of the lens and manual focus means it will never win prizes.

I am looking for suggestions for a reasonable 2nd hand lens somewhere between the 500mm one and the lens the camera comes with. Ideally a general purpose zoom somewhere between 200-400mm with auto focus. Budget: I paid about 140 for the camera (which I think was cheap), and have no idea what I'd expect to pay for lenses, so any rough prices would be appreciated too please.

Any and all suggestions as to what I should be looking for would be appreciated.
Many thanks.

Mike-P

Link Posted 16/09/2014 - 13:58
I'm guessing the 500mm you have is a mirror lens which is probably the cheapest way of getting to that length. The next step (which will give you decent IQ) would be something like one of the large Sigmas such as the 150-500mm OS which will set you back around 400+ for a good used one.
. My Flickr

Helpful

chrisbates

Link Posted 16/09/2014 - 14:35
Mike-P wrote:
I'm guessing the 500mm you have is a mirror lens which is probably the cheapest way of getting to that length. The next step (which will give you decent IQ) would be something like one of the large Sigmas such as the 150-500mm OS which will set you back around 400+ for a good used one.

Many thanks for this Mike. I haven't had a chance to see all your photos. I get one or two for every hundred that I take that I would consider showing and most of those are nowhere near your standard. Did you have a chance to get to one of the '3 Lancs' events at East Kirkby this month?

This was probably the best one of the three I took (Just Jane close up were a bit better) - I'm aware it's rubbish but I'm putting that down to over excitement and the fact that I was filming with a phone at the same time in the other hand. Basically you can see why I need a bigger lens though

geordie01

Link Posted 16/09/2014 - 15:03
Hi Chris I think you need to clean the sensor on your camera, loads of dust visible in that shot.

Helpful

Mike-P

Link Posted 16/09/2014 - 15:10
Unfortunately East Kirby is much too far away for me, looking at around a 10 hour round trip which would be a nightmare (even to see 3 Lancs)
2 of them were supposed to fly at the Bournemouth air show a couple of weeks ago but the Canadian plane developed a fault the day before and that was that.

To give you an idea here is the last airshow thread I posted on the forum, these were shot with a K-3 and Sigma 50-500mm OS which is the big brother to the 150-500mm but at 500mm (where these were all taken) the 2 lenses are very similar and the K10D is a very capable camera.

BTW, if you were to do a little processing to your image you would get something more usable. I had a quick play using the very small file you put here (and cloned out the dust spots)

. My Flickr

Helpful

Darkmunk

Link Posted 16/09/2014 - 15:11
The K10D is a splendid thing, but you'll need lots of light as it is not the most sensitive thing.
Unless you pay big bucks you'll end up with a very dark lens that will be prone to camera shake and so not the advantage you might be hoping for.
I paired a Tamron 70-300 with my K10D for over a year and it was a very capable combination for very little money (about 60). Faster focusing than the 55-300 but a little prone to Purple fringing (easily fixed) and softness at 300. perfectly OK for web or small prints tho.
Facebook Page
Plymouth Photographer

Helpful

chrisbates

Link Posted 16/09/2014 - 16:28
ROFL! I noticed the spots when I uploaded and thought Blimey, I need to clean the laptop screen. Going to clean my camera right now.

I have to say Mike, you version of my picture is a vast improvement.

Thank you all very much for the advice, just what I wanted

fritzthedog

Link Posted 16/09/2014 - 18:32
chrisbates wrote:
ROFL! I noticed the spots when I uploaded and thought Blimey, I need to clean the laptop screen. Going to clean my camera right now.

I have to say Mike, you version of my picture is a vast improvement.

Thank you all very much for the advice, just what I wanted

Chris - do you know how to clean a sensor? If not - do not touch it until you do know otherwise you could destroy it!

Let us know if you need advice on this.

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

Helpful

chrisbates

Link Posted 16/09/2014 - 18:43
Quote:

Actually.......no. I had a look at it (Behind the mirror?) it looked shiny in a 'do not touch me or you'll seriously regret it' sort of way. It actually looked very clean so I put the lens back on, let go of the button and went to find my bulb puffer, which has vanished. Any advice further to puffing at it would be greatly appreciated please.

johnriley

Link Posted 16/09/2014 - 18:46
Make sure it's a rocket blower and give it a few test puffs before you start, to clear any dust out. Hold the camera facing down as you puff, and any dust will fall out rather than in. Don't touch the sensor.

Try a few good puffs before using the dust removal system in the camera several times if necessary.

That has never failed to clean a sensor for me.
Best regards, John

Helpful

chrisbates

Link Posted 16/09/2014 - 19:07
Many thanks for this. Wasn't even aware of a dust removal system until you mentioned it. Found a video on you tube and found where it is.

chrisbates

Link Posted 06/10/2014 - 16:14
Well. thanks to everyone who contributed to my question. As suggested by Darkmunk I went for a Tamron 70-300 for which I paid 50 second hand (although I've found they are only 70 new on Amazon)

Darkmunk wrote:
The K10D is a splendid thing, but you'll need lots of light as it is not the most sensitive thing.
Unless you pay big bucks you'll end up with a very dark lens that will be prone to camera shake and so not the advantage you might be hoping for.
I paired a Tamron 70-300 with my K10D for over a year and it was a very capable combination for very little money (about 60). Faster focusing than the 55-300 but a little prone to Purple fringing (easily fixed) and softness at 300. perfectly OK for web or small prints tho.

As warned it is indeed a bit dark and a lot more prone to shake than I expected - still, on my budget I'm very happy with it so thanks for the recomendation.

I also managed to get my sensor clean. The puffer didn't shift the dust but some proper wands did.

Now all I need is a decent budget flash (open to suggestions again) and a lot, lot more practice as you'll see from the samples below.

Thanks again.

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.