Long term future of PEF RAW

George Lazarette
Posted 27/05/2006 - 22:53 Link
Microsoft is many things, but an innovative company it is not. They made one good deal in 1982, or thereabouts (licensing somebody else's operating system to IBM to run the first PC) and thereafter they have ruthlessly exploited their monopoly position.

Sadly, the world is full of sheep. If all the cowardly IT types had not flocked to the IBM PC instead of buying Apple (remember: "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM" we wouldn't now be stuck with this beached walrus.

People say that they brought us standards. Actually, it was IBM that set the standards, not MS. Their only good product in all this time has been Excel. I still cringe whenever I have to use that dreadful, buggy, bloated, mess, MS Word.

Universities all over the world are trying to teach computers to program themselves. When they succeed, MS will bite the dust.

And a jolly good thing, I say.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Galoot
Posted 27/05/2006 - 23:01 Link
How did Microsoft get from the 'c' prompt with flashing cursor, to "Windows", they must have bought an Apple and ripped off the GUI !!!
Don
Posted 27/05/2006 - 23:04 Link
bought it....copied it...then returned it for a full refund...then sued Apple for copyright infringement, (if only to slow thier casflow).....If I know Bill Gates.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Arthur Dent
Posted 28/05/2006 - 05:09 Link
Neither Apple nor Microsoft came up with the GUI (Graphical User Interface).

The oringinal developer was........XEROX!!

I bet they're kicking themselves in the butt still for letting it get out of their hands!
42 Comment Image
Don
Posted 28/05/2006 - 05:15 Link
wow and all this time I was blaming Steve Wozniac...lol
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
SPB
Posted 28/05/2006 - 09:18 Link
I shall ignore the Windows/Mac thing. Suffice to say I had windows for 10 years or more and thing not highly of it. Linux and Mac are superior in many ways, but not all ways. One thing is for sure it ain't a safe environment so I am thrilled to be away from windows.

Now back to PEF, inside every 10MB pef is:- 3 jpgs at different resolutions:-
1 160x120, 1 640x480 and the third at 3000x2000 in the example I looked at now, the 3 files total 898K in size.

So with RAW, you get the PEF + 3 JPGS directly out of the camera with no need for conversions. Of course if want to print high quality the PEF is the route, for the web the highest resolution JPG is the way.
golfdiesel
Posted 28/05/2006 - 18:13 Link
But how do we extrac the JPEG out of there quickly? They are low quality JPEG's, the normal 3000x2000 JPEG is between 2 and 3MB.
Camera:K20D|Ist*DS|Spotmatic II|MZ-10
Pentax Lenses: DA16-45|DA50-200|50A 1.7
Tamron Lenses: 28-200
Takumar Lenses: SMC 55 1.8
Sigma Lenses: EX DG 50-500 'Bigma'|EX 50mm Macro
Flashes: Metz 58 AF-1|Samsung SEF-36PZF|Pentax AF-220T
SPB
Posted 28/05/2006 - 19:51 Link
easy use file juicer on OS X, extracts in several seconds even on a slow old powermac
SPB
Posted 28/05/2006 - 19:53 Link
Also DRDOS from Digital Research was streets ahead of MS-DOS

Yeah you are right Xerox! They must have had short-sighted managers at that time. If today they received a royalty from Bill for every package ....

Quote:
Neither Apple nor Microsoft came up with the GUI (Graphical User Interface).

The oringinal developer was........XEROX!!

I bet they're kicking themselves in the butt still for letting it get out of their hands!
golfdiesel
Posted 28/05/2006 - 21:06 Link
Quote:
easy use file juicer on OS X, extracts in several seconds even on a slow old powermac
And what to use on Windows or Linux?

Remco
Camera:K20D|Ist*DS|Spotmatic II|MZ-10
Pentax Lenses: DA16-45|DA50-200|50A 1.7
Tamron Lenses: 28-200
Takumar Lenses: SMC 55 1.8
Sigma Lenses: EX DG 50-500 'Bigma'|EX 50mm Macro
Flashes: Metz 58 AF-1|Samsung SEF-36PZF|Pentax AF-220T
Mannesty
Posted 28/05/2006 - 21:07 Link
DR-DOS became a competitor to MS-DOS and was succesfully killed off by a 'dirty tricks' campaign which later cost Microsoft $100,000,000.00 in damages. By then of course, DR-DOS was dead.

I seem to remember that Xerox's Venturer Publisher had one of the first graphical interfaces.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
SPB
Posted 30/05/2006 - 06:17 Link
On Linux try
ExifTool Version History
This allows all 3 JPEG images contained in Pentax PEF files to be extracted: ... Added ability to extract JPG from RAW; Added ExifData tag to allow entire ...
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/history.html

this is supposed to do it in Windows http://www.polybytes.com/


[quote="golfdiesel"]
Quote:
easy use file juicer on OS X, extracts in several seconds even on a slow old powermac
And what to use on Windows or Linux?

Remco
SPB
Posted 30/05/2006 - 06:18 Link
GEM I think was the GUI, I used DR-DOS for ages.

Quote:
DR-DOS became a competitor to MS-DOS and was succesfully killed off by a 'dirty tricks' campaign which later cost Microsoft $100,000,000.00 in damages. By then of course, DR-DOS was dead.

I seem to remember that Xerox's Venturer Publisher had one of the first graphical interfaces.
SPB
Posted 30/05/2006 - 06:22 Link
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/6148/gem.html
The link for GEM

and another one

http://www.pcmech.com/show/os/360/

DR Digital Research.

What a pity the other won. DR were far more interesting and innovative.

Quote:
GEM I think was the GUI, I used DR-DOS for ages.

Mannesty wrote:
DR-DOS became a competitor to MS-DOS and was succesfully killed off by a 'dirty tricks' campaign which later cost Microsoft $100,000,000.00 in damages. By then of course, DR-DOS was dead.

I seem to remember that Xerox's Venturer Publisher had one of the first graphical interfaces.
SPB
Posted 13/06/2006 - 09:36 Link
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm

I found this a very interesting article on the subject of Raw and other formats like JPG

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo