London's Statues & Monuments #8
Posted 18/05/2010 - 08:26
Link
I love the way you have composed this Paul. All lions (lines) seem to lead to Buckingham Palace.
Do you still experience difficulties with officials when you are snappping in London? Things ought to have got better since new photographer friendly guidelines were issued by the Asociation of Chief Police Officers. I had no bother when photgraphing at St Pancras.
david
Do you still experience difficulties with officials when you are snappping in London? Things ought to have got better since new photographer friendly guidelines were issued by the Asociation of Chief Police Officers. I had no bother when photgraphing at St Pancras.
david
Posted 18/05/2010 - 08:55
Link
Thanks, Dave.
I haven't suffered any difficulties with these people at all as yet, due to the EU legislation that came into force. I feel great about that and victorious 'cos things were getting to a point where it got absolutely pathetic, and really, you could run rings round the enforcement officers and 'jobsworths' with the argument against them stopping you.
Hopefully, now that we have a government change, this government won't bother to appeal against the EU's action.
Glad to hear you had no difficulties at St. Pancras.
BTW, I haven't been to Canary Wharf lately, this place will be the big test! I'll be pointing my camera everywhere with gusto!!
I haven't suffered any difficulties with these people at all as yet, due to the EU legislation that came into force. I feel great about that and victorious 'cos things were getting to a point where it got absolutely pathetic, and really, you could run rings round the enforcement officers and 'jobsworths' with the argument against them stopping you.
Hopefully, now that we have a government change, this government won't bother to appeal against the EU's action.
Glad to hear you had no difficulties at St. Pancras.
BTW, I haven't been to Canary Wharf lately, this place will be the big test! I'll be pointing my camera everywhere with gusto!!
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
Posted 18/05/2010 - 12:22
Link
These statue shots have all been great to look at, you're doing a good job with all of them.
What difficulties have there been with taking pics in London? This is the first I've heard of any of this. Although I have only recently been seriously taking a lot of photos in London, never did it before, so I probably wouldn't have encountered anything in the past.
What difficulties have there been with taking pics in London? This is the first I've heard of any of this. Although I have only recently been seriously taking a lot of photos in London, never did it before, so I probably wouldn't have encountered anything in the past.
Posted 18/05/2010 - 15:49
Link
Thanks, Kev.
You were often stopped and told not to take pictures in public spaces, in a nutshell. l was stopped by the police for photographing the 'Gherkin' building and Tower 42 and given a section 44, l was a terrrorist at that point. At one point l got stopped l asked the police why, and if they had recovered my stolen Bluray player yet! l had to make a joke and have a laugh otherwise i'd get over annoyed and angry.
No probs now, the air of lunacy has lifted.
The thief still has my Bluray player though!
You were often stopped and told not to take pictures in public spaces, in a nutshell. l was stopped by the police for photographing the 'Gherkin' building and Tower 42 and given a section 44, l was a terrrorist at that point. At one point l got stopped l asked the police why, and if they had recovered my stolen Bluray player yet! l had to make a joke and have a laugh otherwise i'd get over annoyed and angry.
No probs now, the air of lunacy has lifted.
The thief still has my Bluray player though!
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
Posted 18/05/2010 - 17:51
Link
I agree with David and Kevin - this is a(nother) top shot.
I've taken a few pictures in London although not been stopped (yet) - normally it's a sunday morning when I am there with my camera and I expect most of the police and their associates are still in bed... looks that way to me in any case...
Regards
I've taken a few pictures in London although not been stopped (yet) - normally it's a sunday morning when I am there with my camera and I expect most of the police and their associates are still in bed... looks that way to me in any case...
Regards
Posted 18/05/2010 - 19:20
Link
Really nice composition and framing with this one. I especially approve of your vertical verticals Was this shot quite early too?
Best wishes, Kris.
Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Posted 18/05/2010 - 21:19
Link
Thanks Mat, thanks Kris.
Mat, sunday is well peaceful on the streets, your right.
Yeah Kris, it had to be 'cos of the amount of people that turn up here. This was at about 07.14am, judging by my EXIF. There were even tourists here at this time. I remember a pair of Italians close to my right side, offering to move out of the way for me to take the picture.
Those verticals came naturally by the elevation I was at, on the Memorial, which was cool.
Mat, sunday is well peaceful on the streets, your right.
Yeah Kris, it had to be 'cos of the amount of people that turn up here. This was at about 07.14am, judging by my EXIF. There were even tourists here at this time. I remember a pair of Italians close to my right side, offering to move out of the way for me to take the picture.
Those verticals came naturally by the elevation I was at, on the Memorial, which was cool.
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
Posted 18/05/2010 - 22:50
Link
I did wonder a bit about photographing around London with all of the terror worries and such, but hadn't encountered anything myself. I just thought they would think everyone was a tourist, as there are always loads of them around and they of course take pics and you can't very well stop them from doing it.
There is so much to photograph around London I will definitely be going back there many times to do so. It's a good day out for me
There is so much to photograph around London I will definitely be going back there many times to do so. It's a good day out for me
Posted 18/05/2010 - 23:27
Link
To be fair, a great many of the problems are within the square mile. The City of London police seem to be a bit less tolerant than the Met more generally. I, personally, have never had any problems but there are plenty of stories: check out the amateur photographer website.
K.
K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1307 posts
17 years
W. Yorkshire,
UK
Agriculture - Victoria Memorial, London '10 #8
[IMG]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j159/paulyrichard/buckinghampalace91of1600-2.jpg[/IMG]
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/