London Hiking / Walking options?

antzutd

Link Posted 05/01/2014 - 20:16
Hello all,

I have recently acquired the DA12-24, a tripod and a pair of hiking boots!

And now I am thinking of practicing some landscape/cityscape photography with my new found gear. Does anyone have a suggestion for location within the M25 for some nice afternoon photographic walk around. Ideally somewhere the tube or train could reach, as I don't have a car and most likely I will be traveling alone.

Thank you for your input.
----------
Pentax K-30, 55-300, 18-135, 35 2.4, 50 1.8, 12-24
Pentax Q, Q10, 01, 02, 04, 05, 06 & 07
(Pentax K-x 2011-2012)

JohnX

Link Posted 05/01/2014 - 20:29
I'd start with Kew Gardens.

McGregNi

Link Posted 05/01/2014 - 22:10
For city-scapes you can't beat the city Views from the central bridges can be rewarding in the right light, usually early morning or late afternoon at the moment, and of course there's plenty of architectural potential in the city and Canary Wharf areas. The top of Greenwich Park is a good longer-distance viewpoint, as is that hill on Hampstead Heath near Hampstead station - can't remember what its called?? plus the one closer in nearer to Swiss Cottage - Primrose Hill I think.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

JonSchick

Link Posted 05/01/2014 - 22:33
Anywhere along the Thames Path from the Thames Barrier in the east to Kingston in the west is good. The Thames Path has a good website with suggested walks. I prefer walking along the south bank. Kew is well worth visiting, or Hampton Court, or the various parks and hills as suggested above. Cemeteries can be interesting too...eg Highgate. Then there's busy places like Camden Lock or Brick Lane.

And if you're up for it, suggest a meet up on the site here and you might not need to be on your own unless you prefer it that way....

Cheers,

Jon
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link

Tringa

Link Posted 06/01/2014 - 12:28
If you do not already have this

http://photoephemeris.com/

then I suggest downloading it. It costs for iphone and Android devices but is free for PCs and Macs. It is very useful for sussing out good locations for sunrise and sunset shots.

In London I'd suggest the Thames path. One route could be Tower Hill station, over Tower Bridge and then follow the Thames path to Westminster Bridge, then Trafalgar Square and on to Covent Garden. This is a bit over 4 miles.

Also anywhere in the City is interesting a good mix of modern architecture and some of oldest buildings in the country.

Out of London - the Lee Valley Park. Quite a lot of it is outside the M25 but it is varied and some parts are well served by public transport There is a lot of info on their website

http://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/

There is also a links to other suggestions for walks -

http://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/en/content/cms/outdoors/walks-walking/

Dave

leytono

Link Posted 07/01/2014 - 18:27
Richmond Park is very pleasant as is Epping Forest

The_archaeologist

Link Posted 16/01/2014 - 20:56
Subjective question really. What are You looking for, what floats your particular boat and what -as a consequence-are you looking to capture and thus convey via your subsequent images?
I suggest that you should formulate a basic'mission specific' before you consider purchasing a tube ticket dude.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.