Local countryside with the ultrawide
Posted 14/05/2010 - 16:18
Link
Nice set Tim.
Particularly like 1 & 4, the perspective of number 4 really appeals to me, and the pathway leading off into the distance in 1 makes for an interesting shot. Lovely blue skies in all too! Haven't seen much of that up by me for a while!
What lens did you use out of interest?
Particularly like 1 & 4, the perspective of number 4 really appeals to me, and the pathway leading off into the distance in 1 makes for an interesting shot. Lovely blue skies in all too! Haven't seen much of that up by me for a while!
What lens did you use out of interest?
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.
Apparently.
Apparently.
Posted 14/05/2010 - 16:27
Link
nice. I particularly like the straightness in the 3rd image. Out of interest, were you useing filters (if so, what?) for these.
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...
Posted 14/05/2010 - 16:39
Link
And to answer your original query I don't think number 4 looks too fake at all.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.
Apparently.
Apparently.
Posted 14/05/2010 - 16:48
Link
Super stuff, Tim, particularly the first three. Lovely wide open vistas: you exploit the capabilities of this lens (not always easy to do!)
Regards,
Andrew
Regards,
Andrew
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 14/05/2010 - 16:54
Link
Thanks folks!
These were all with the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6. I have a circular polariser pretty much permanently attached to the lens, but forgot to turn it to the correct angle for number 2 (hence the pale sky!).
Edit: and now I see all 4 side by side, looks like I overcooked the sky in number 3 in PP
These were all with the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6. I have a circular polariser pretty much permanently attached to the lens, but forgot to turn it to the correct angle for number 2 (hence the pale sky!).
Edit: and now I see all 4 side by side, looks like I overcooked the sky in number 3 in PP
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 14/05/2010 - 16:58
Link
Where was 3 taken? Excellent set.
Emma
"Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything." Aaron Siskind
Bodies K20D, LTL 3, K1000d
Lenses Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, Tamron 70-300 macro
"Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything." Aaron Siskind
Bodies K20D, LTL 3, K1000d
Lenses Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, Tamron 70-300 macro
Posted 14/05/2010 - 17:08
Link
I'd clone out the bright orange spot in the middle of the second one (bit of emergency fencing, perhaps?).
I'll admit I don't really like the converging verticals in the last one, but that is just me (and I am infamous for it! )
K.
I'll admit I don't really like the converging verticals in the last one, but that is just me (and I am infamous for it! )
K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Posted 14/05/2010 - 22:33
Link
Thanks Emma, thanks Kris.
These were all taken within 5 miles of Saffron Walden. The third one in particular was a private lane leading to a farmhouse near the village of Sewards End.
I'd forgotten about the orange bit of fencing! Well spotted Kris, will clone out a.s.a.p. Also I had already partially corrected the verticals in number four, any more and I'd lose the left side of the thatched roof which I wanted to keep.
These were all taken within 5 miles of Saffron Walden. The third one in particular was a private lane leading to a farmhouse near the village of Sewards End.
I'd forgotten about the orange bit of fencing! Well spotted Kris, will clone out a.s.a.p. Also I had already partially corrected the verticals in number four, any more and I'd lose the left side of the thatched roof which I wanted to keep.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 14/05/2010 - 22:49
Link
Lovely set of pics1&3 does it for me
K20D,24-90 3.5-5.6,50-135 2.8 + GRIP. SAVING FOR 60-250 F4
FUJI S6500 + FUJI Z33WP
Konrad
FUJI S6500 + FUJI Z33WP
Konrad
Posted 15/05/2010 - 08:58
Link
1 & 3 for me also Tim, the fourth probably needed a bit of extra work given that the sun was hiding from you at the time?
Posted 15/05/2010 - 09:05
Link
Thanks iBerg, yes the cottages were all in shadow, I'm having problems brightening it any more without introducing a bucket load of noise (plenty of that already!).
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 15/05/2010 - 09:11
Link
Tim, the 'Church Row' shot works and is a very nicely balanced picture. Maybe a step back would have given the scene a little more room to breathe, no?
With respect, I feel that you may have taken the picture at the wrong time though, the sunlight looks like it has been lost behind a cloud, and as a result the scene looks flat.
Just my tuppence.
With respect, I feel that you may have taken the picture at the wrong time though, the sunlight looks like it has been lost behind a cloud, and as a result the scene looks flat.
Just my tuppence.
"All the technique in the world doesnt compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
Posted 15/05/2010 - 09:17
Link
Thanks Pauly! Yes that was why that one has had so much PP - to try and rescue the flat and dimly lit cottages. I'm still not satisfied but cannot make it much brighter (the cottages are already close to +2 stops exposure in PP).
Unfortunately I have been trying to take that photo for a couple of years now, but every time I drive past (several times a week) there is a huge ugly Range Rover parked on the corner in the bottom right. But last week I drove past and it wasn't there! So i screeched to a stop and rushed over to take a few photos. I only had a few minutes, and I was still late for my next appointment
Unfortunately I have been trying to take that photo for a couple of years now, but every time I drive past (several times a week) there is a huge ugly Range Rover parked on the corner in the bottom right. But last week I drove past and it wasn't there! So i screeched to a stop and rushed over to take a few photos. I only had a few minutes, and I was still late for my next appointment
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 15/05/2010 - 09:22
Link
That's cool that your not satisfied with it, Tim.
Did you take note of the time when that Land Rover wasn't there, it may matter? It's certainly worth persisting with in recording this scene at it's best, though.
Did you take note of the time when that Land Rover wasn't there, it may matter? It's certainly worth persisting with in recording this scene at it's best, though.
"All the technique in the world doesnt compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


4798 posts
17 years
Saffron Walden,
Essex
Comments and criticism welcome! The last one is much more heavily processed than my norm, would be interested to see if it looks too fake.
Rapeseed path
To the horizon
The avenue
Church row
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!