Little Owls

Blythman
Posted 11/08/2015 - 16:27 Link
Was out this morning for sunrise, but there wasn't much going on. Too clear, could have done with some colourful clouds. So, I din't have ny 560mm with me. Nor did I have the K3 as I prefer the dynamic range of the K5iis for sunrises.

So, armed with my K5iis, DA 300, ans 1.4x convertor, I headed to South Shields where there are Little Owls. Very surprised to see these taking something as big as a rat. They normally eat worms, and insects, although I know they take the odd rodent.

Anyway, these are big crops but I thought I'd share.

Comment Image
Little Owl before Breakfast by Alan Wennington, on Flickr

Comment Image
Two out of three in the picture by Alan Wennington, on Flickr

Comment Image
Little Owl and Breakfast 1 of 3 by Alan Wennington, on Flickr

Comment Image
Little Owl and Breakfast 2 of 3 by Alan Wennington, on Flickr

Comment Image
Little Owl and Breakfast 3 of 3 by Alan Wennington, on Flickr
Alan


PPG
Flickr
wvbarnes
Posted 11/08/2015 - 16:37 Link
Delightful. We saw similar daily mid morning and afternoon in Lesvos, Greece last year. They look to be the same colouring. I only had my 55 - 300mm on my K5 then. Now I have my K3, 300 F4 and tele adapter I'd expect more. No end to this wanting bigger lenses without cropping eh? Comment Image
Edited by wvbarnes: 11/08/2015 - 16:38
fritzthedog
Posted 11/08/2015 - 16:40 Link
Good grief!

What is it with you and photographing things been eaten? you'll be getting yourself banned from another North East group if you are not careful Alan

Great set as always - do me a favor- just once - post a really bad shot of a seagull eating a chip or something will you

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Blythman
Posted 12/08/2015 - 19:33 Link
Thanks Bill and Carl for taking the time to comment. Much appreciated
Alan


PPG
Flickr
bforbes
Posted 12/08/2015 - 19:42 Link
Great set Alan.

The size of the owl it should be fed for the week now!
caj26
Posted 12/08/2015 - 22:28 Link
Brilliant. thanks for sharing.
jvs
Posted 14/08/2015 - 10:07 Link
Lovely shots, Alan, of a lovely bird. It wouldn't need to eat again for a week after that rat!
John
Blythman
Posted 15/08/2015 - 14:16 Link
Thanks again guy. Much appreciated. Been back today with my big gun, but as is the way of things, they didn't put on the same level of performance
Alan


PPG
Flickr
McGregNi
Posted 15/08/2015 - 18:41 Link
Great job finding these and capturing them Alan. You've grabbed some good angles and action.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
simonarron
Posted 15/08/2015 - 20:31 Link
Terrific Alan, as ever. I'd happily swap a few of our local parakeets for a little owl or two...
K10D
Posted 17/08/2015 - 04:31 Link
Very good. The eyes have it.

Best regards
Too far from a shore.
Blythman
Posted 17/08/2015 - 10:39 Link
Thanks guys. Very much appreciated
Alan


PPG
Flickr
davidwozhere
Posted 18/08/2015 - 00:16 Link
Thank you for sharing these lovely images - could it still fly after that?
I wonder what Carl would say if you photographed what happens a short time after they've digested it
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo