Limted 35mm from Ebay Japan

richardmills

Link Posted 26/07/2014 - 11:37
Has anyone bought a 35mm Limited from Japan off ebay? Or any other pentax lens?

There are quite a few used ones around the 210 mark which appear to be like new from sellers on ebay in japan.

The buyer reviews look good so they appear to be above board.

Can anyone recommend any of the sellers?

Thanks
Rich

fritzthedog

Link Posted 26/07/2014 - 11:51
The problem is the import duty and VAT will bump the price up significantly - (not sure but possibly an extra 40-50??) that aside - should be no issues.

Do you specifically want the limited? If you are just wanting an excellent 35mm lens - the 35mm f2.4 SMC DA AL should be considered - about 120 new. Many say that the performance virtually matches the Limited and if this is true - a bargain.

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

richardmills

Link Posted 26/07/2014 - 13:00
Hi Carl

To be honest that plastic lens mount on the 35mm 2.4 really puts me off. The build quality of the limited is whats selling it too me (along with the built in lens hood and macro capability).

There was a used one on ebay the other day in the uk that went for 195. I hesitated and missed it!!

fritzthedog

Link Posted 26/07/2014 - 13:05
195 was certainly a bargain - think I paid over 300 for mine - used but only one month old.

I would not be put off by the plastic lens mount - they are very strong - have had several lenses with them and never an issue.

The other comment I would make is that I find the built in lens hood a curse rather than a benefit. Impossible to use a filter and the hood at the same time and the lens cap will not go on if you have a filter attached.

Carl

Chrism8

Link Posted 26/07/2014 - 14:08
I've had some lenses from both Japan and the USA recently, yes you will pay import duty, an admin fee and VAT on the duty, on a 245 lens, this totalled 45.

Ebay offers excellent protection these days so take the description as good and any differences, you've some comeback.

Both of mine were described as excellent, they were boxed with all the bits expected as new, in as new condition and presented the same and I saved a fortune.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM

MrB

Link Posted 26/07/2014 - 14:21
fritzthedog wrote:

The other comment I would make is that I find the built in lens hood a curse rather than a benefit. Impossible to use a filter and the hood at the same time and the lens cap will not go on if you have a filter attached.

Carl

Are you referring to something like a polariser, Carl? There is a HMC UV filter on mine all the time and I always use the hood with no problem. The original metal cap has been left in the box from new (in case I ever sell/exchange the lens!) and I use a cheap eBay plastic clip-on cap.

Cheers.
Philip

fritzthedog

Link Posted 26/07/2014 - 15:44
MrB wrote:
fritzthedog wrote:

Carl

Are you referring to something like a polariser, Carl? There is a HMC UV filter on mine all the time and I always use the hood with no problem. The original metal cap has been left in the box from new (in case I ever sell/exchange the lens!) and I use a cheap eBay plastic clip-on cap.

Cheers.
Philip

yes - sorry should have been mores specific - a CPL

Carl

AndrewH

Link Posted 26/07/2014 - 19:05
While I haven't used it much, my impression of the plastic mount on the DA35 f2.4 is that it is very durable.

Mine's for sale (see classifieds) as I hardly ever use it...but the plastic mount is definitely not a problem! (Sorry for the shameless plug )
flickr

hogboy

Link Posted 26/07/2014 - 19:40
I have bought two from the same japanese seller, no issues whatsoever, and no fees -) delivered in less than 5 days as well.
The 35mm Limited is my favorite lense
Sony A6000 plus a bunch of lenses
Sony A7ii plus loads of glass
Fuji X20

Horst

Link Posted 27/07/2014 - 06:35
I have bough a few lenses from Japan sellers.

All where in superb condition, exactly as described.

Delivery to Australia was always in 4 days with accurate tracking.

If I buy a secondhand Pentax lens, I first look for Japanese Sellers.

regards, Horst

weinelm

Link Posted 27/07/2014 - 10:18
I too have had a few lenses from Japanese sellers on ebay (I have pay import duty in Switzerland whether it come from the EU or Japan). Generally no problem, postage is quick and they often have the harder to find things. The only thing I would say is be sure to check the condition in the photos. I think I have a slightly higher expectation of "excellent" than some of the sellers.
Panasonic GX80, Pentax MX, Mamiya 6. My Flickr

Horst

Link Posted 27/07/2014 - 10:29
It looks like we are quite lucky here in Australia.

I never had to pay import duty on items under 1000 Dollars.
Above 1000 dollars, I don't know, I never bought anything above 1000.- dollars from outside Australia.

Regards, Horst

richardmills

Link Posted 28/07/2014 - 19:53
hogboy wrote:
I have bought two from the same japanese seller, no issues whatsoever, and no fees -) delivered in less than 5 days as well.
The 35mm Limited is my favorite lense

Do you know the seller you bought them from? Ill see if their still doing any.

Thanks all. Looks like its a good bet if i cant source one in the uk.
Last Edited by richardmills on 28/07/2014 - 19:53

hogboy

Link Posted 28/07/2014 - 19:55
link
Sony A6000 plus a bunch of lenses
Sony A7ii plus loads of glass
Fuji X20

richardmills

Link Posted 29/07/2014 - 20:04
Cheers for the link.

I was looking at another one that seller had listed but have ordered the one you linked to as it was described as better condition.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.