Lightroom and SilkyPix?

amoringello

Link Posted 16/12/2008 - 12:16
Anyone use SilkyPix in combination with Lightroom and have a good workflow?

I used to use ACDSee for my cataloger, but since their recent upgrade it has been a nightmare of database corruption and software crashes. I finally lost my whole catalog. Backups wont restore to it. Argh!
(OK, all at once now... awwwwww! )

So I'm looking at Lightroom. Down side is that you cannot launch RAW files into a third party application. Lightroom will send TIFFS or PSD files to another application, but that just isn't the same.

It is quite a bit slower than ACDSee, but otherwise I am growing to like Lightroom. I am just hoping to keep SilkyPix in the workflow for the actual photo processing.

Only been using Lightroom for a couple of days, but it seems detecting of new files, folders created outside of Lightroom and the removal of files and folders within Lightroom is extremely tedious and potentially error prone.

Hopefully someone has some good tips.

Thanks

MattMatic

Link Posted 16/12/2008 - 12:24
Although I have LR1, I haven't really got to like it (yet).
My combination is Google's Picasa + Silkypix DS + Photoshop CS2.
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

Prieni

Link Posted 16/12/2008 - 13:36
I'm a bit more conservative than Matt:
Google's Picasa + Silkypix DS + Photoshop CS

Prieni
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page

amoringello

Link Posted 16/12/2008 - 13:58
Does Picasa understand yet that multiple sub-directories may exist with the same name yet be totally unrelated? i.e. if I consistently convert my raw files to a subdir named "JPEG", I may end up having hundreds of JPEG folders.
Last time I used Picasa, all of those images were thrown together under a single group "JPEG". Which made finding my images less than friendly.
With eight years of storage, I probably wont go back and change my categorization methods to fit the software.

Maybe I'll give that a try, since I'm pretty much starting from scratch... I'd certainly rather spend my money on the upcoming SilkyPix upgrade than on Lightroom.

ttk

Link Posted 16/12/2008 - 14:18
amoringello wrote:
I'd certainly rather spend my money on the upcoming SilkyPix upgrade than on Lightroom.

Nothing wrong with Lightroom
Tel,

amoringello

Link Posted 16/12/2008 - 14:50
Quote:

Oh, plenty not to like about Lightroom, not the least of which is its speed to get any task done. Although, yes it has some nice features as well. But I'm not really looking to bash or commend Lightroom's features other than possible workability with third party RAW editors such as SilkyPix.

I have sort of resolved myself to putting up with Lightroom's issues since I really haven't seen anything better (other than ACDSee which has gone down the proverbial crapper since their last upgrade).
That and I have some naive hopes that a company like Adobe will continue to actively improve their product.

Still, if I can't work SilkyPix half-way decently into the workflow I'll probably continue looking for another solution.

If anyone has other suggestions for cataloging files (or even full DAM software), I'm willing to give them a try.

iView is no more - has been bought and probably destroyed by Microsoft. From the couple of days I tried to make it work, I became quickly dis-enchanted with the product.

womble

Link Posted 17/12/2008 - 16:45
I rather like lightroom for many things, especially that it's edits are "non-destructive", i.e. your original file remains unaltered, the various processes being recorded in lightroom or written to an XML sidebar file. The metadata tagging, search facilities, labelling files as "rejected" or "picks" etc are great. I have, however, found it surprisingly weak on moving files around and so on. For example, I wanted to move my entire photography directory onto an external hard disk and it wasn't easy to do within lightroom. I'd like to copy stuff onto DVDs but it doesn't really handle cataloguing that sort of stuff either.

One thing I am curious about, however, is how using its export function to create a lower-res jpg compares to manually changing the mode from 16 to 8bit and then reducing using resize in CS3. Oh dear, I feel some experimentation coming on. Lightroom will automatically do things like add a copyright watermark, rename etc in the export process.

Picasa annoyed me from the outset my insisting on cataloguing every image file on my hard disk before I could find a way to stop it.

To go back to the OP, I would be curious if someone has found a way of using Silkypix with Lightroom. After all the recommendations I have heard for silkypix I'd be interested in looking at this further.

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Malo1961

Link Posted 17/12/2008 - 16:58
amoringello wrote:
Quote:

Oh, plenty not to like about Lightroom, not the least of which is its speed to get any task done.

If speed is an issue, just wait another 2 weeks. than if everything works out as planned, Bibble 5 will hit the market. Yummie.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.

Mannesty

Link Posted 17/12/2008 - 17:04
Quote:

Just curious, why would you need to use 2 different RAW converters?
Unless you do some editing in one, export, then continue in another, but I can't see why you would do that.

Have you tried PhaseOne's CaptureOne RAW converter?
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

womble

Link Posted 17/12/2008 - 18:18
Mannesty wrote:
Quote:

Just curious, why would you need to use 2 different RAW converters?
Unless you do some editing in one, export, then continue in another, but I can't see why you would do that.

Have you tried PhaseOne's CaptureOne RAW converter?

Lightroom does much more than just convert RAW and various peeps on here think that Silkypix's RAW conversion is superior. Thus Silkypix for RAW conversion, Lightroom for the other stuff.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

amoringello

Link Posted 17/12/2008 - 18:24
Quote:
To go back to the OP, I would be curious if someone has found a way of using Silkypix with Lightroom. After all the recommendations I have heard for silkypix I'd be interested in looking at this further.

Well, I took the plunge and purchased Lightroom. The more I used it and read about what it could do, the more I found that it would work for me.
Still some annoyances, like simply deleting a folder of junk photos from disk is not possible (at least not that I've found).
But I suppose going forward, a proper workflow would eliminate some of that. (I just happen to find a lot of old stuff I could remove, but had to do so externally and re-sync)
Processing of many photos is also slower than I like, so their database could use a lot of optimization.
The Pick+Reject workflow is much easier than something like ACDSee which usually required several passes to make the same judgments.

Anyway, using with SilkyPix is not a smooth as I would like. ACDsee for example would let me select photos and send them to SilkyPix. And it would automatically detect new images when they appeeared. Nice when the software worked...
Although ACDsee was a nightmare to re-sync when images were removed externally!

Back on track...
I'll import files from card using lightroom, adding simple metadata and creating the backup copy.
I'll make a quick pass flagging to pick or reject and delete rejects.
I'll then "open in explorer" to open the folder containing the images, and drop that folder into SilkyPix.
I'll use SilkyPix to make mods and do my conversions.
Then from Lightroom I'll simply re-sync the folder to pick up the changes made from SilkyPix.

Sounds a bit kludgy, and I'm welcome to anyone else's suggestions for better workflow, but it really is not too bad.

I usually tag RAW only, So this method doesn't hamper my existing workflow. I know some people only tag the converted images so re-tagging could be intensive.
One downside of course is that Lightroom has the ability to stack images and this is not automatic by using a third party tool. But if you save your converted images in the same folder, you can manually stack them.
I'll have to see what the APIs can do and see if a plug-in can be made to create stacks from similar image names. Stacks seem like a useful tool, but don't know how much I'd make use of them. I normally place converted images in a subfolder, JPEGs, JPEG800x600, TIFFS, etc...

Not sure about your question on exporting to lower res JPEGs. Lightroom will allow you to specify the size and bit-depth. I'll often export to full size as well as to small websize images. That alone does not require dumping out to PhotoShop.

Anyway, I'm still very new to Lightroom, but so far it is starting to grow on me.

As for mere RAW editing, I do like the imitated gradient and the spot repair tools. I found myself using them more than expected in just the few days of testing. Not sure if it is enough to convert me away from SilkyPix.

iceblinker

Link Posted 17/12/2008 - 19:12
My combination is: Silkypix DS.

And I think the word "workflow" should be banned.

Bah humbug.
~Pete

womble

Link Posted 17/12/2008 - 19:24
With some images I do everything in LR, with some I do some in LR and some in CS3. I always do the dust-spotting in LR, very quick and easy. Exporting is quick and easy too, my only question was whether creating essentially the same image (e.g. a 1200px along the long edge JPG for posting) is better/worse/the same quality wise to using CS3.

This website has some useful video podcasts for free on using lightroom.

Easily it's weakest feature is moving stuff around / file management after you have imported it.

Cheers, Kris.
Kris Lockyear

My website

ttk

Link Posted 17/12/2008 - 19:28
If you right click a folder in L/R you can remove it, and if you right click a file(photo)you can delete it, after clicking the delete a box pops up and there is a remove from disk button.
Tel,

womble

Link Posted 17/12/2008 - 19:38
What you cannot so easily do (in 1.4.1 anyway) is move this hierarchy of directories from the C drive to the E drive, or keep a record of a batch of files burnt to CD. On the whole though, it is a pretty good bit of software.
Kris Lockyear

My website
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.