Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Lightroom 3

Cisco
Posted 18/08/2011 - 22:37 Link
I've been told by a software supplier that I can't install LR3 on my PC and my laptop, unless I buy 2 licences !

Anyone know otherwise ? I can't afford that and I need my lappy when travelling

Microsoft allow it with W7, so why not Adobe ??
K-7 | K10 | DA 18-135 | DA 18-250 | DA 55-300 | DFA 100 |
Anvh
Posted 18/08/2011 - 23:00 Link
Who is going to check?
If you want to stay at the save side you should make sure that you only run one copy at a time.
mecrox
Posted 18/08/2011 - 23:18 Link
Cisco wrote:
I've been told by a software supplier that I can't install LR3 on my PC and my laptop, unless I buy 2 licences !

Anyone know otherwise ? I can't afford that and I need my lappy when travelling

Microsoft allow it with W7, so why not Adobe ??

Supplier is talking nonsense. This is from the FAQ on the Adobe site:

Quote:
How many computers are covered by a single license of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3?

Subject to the terms of the software license agreement, the primary user of the computer on which Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 is installed may install a second copy of the software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable computer or a computer located at his or her home, provided that the software on the second computer is not used at the same time as the software on the primary computer. Lightroom is sold as multiplatform software, which means it can be installed on either Mac OS X or Windows.

bforbes
Posted 18/08/2011 - 23:30 Link
Anvh wrote:
Who is going to check?
If you want to stay at the save side you should make sure that you only run one copy at a time.

Adobe check via the internet how many times the serial no has been used to activate the software. Without activation it will only run as a trial.
Anvh
Posted 19/08/2011 - 07:07 Link
bforbes wrote:
Adobe check via the internet how many times the serial no has been used to activate the software. Without activation it will only run as a trial.

I know but you can say you've unstalled it from the other computer for example.
And if you use a router the IP will be the same for the laptop and the PC.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
selectcase
Posted 19/08/2011 - 09:25 Link
I know adobe allow you to instsall photoshop cs5.1 extended on a maximum of 2 computers as i bought it on monday and have registered it successfully on 2 computers using my online account so i woud think its the same for lightroom - if you go to purchase it direct from adobe they have online help and they will be able to answer your question.

K7D DA 18-55 mk11WR|50-200 wr|DA16-45|Tamron SP90|lots of manual pentax glass
bforbes
Posted 19/08/2011 - 10:07 Link
Anvh wrote:

All I know is it would let me use the Serial number a third time even on the same router. I therfore had to Deacivate the software on one machine in order to get it working on another.
Mannesty
Posted 19/08/2011 - 14:22 Link
bforbes wrote:
Anvh wrote:

All I know is it would let me use the Serial number a third time even on the same router. I therfore had to Deacivate the software on one machine in order to get it working on another.

There is no option to deactivate Lightroom, and I've loaded my one copy about 5 times after reloading a PC/Laptop.

Photoshop et al are different, they will allow a third installation only once one of the two previous installs has been deactivated. This of course is not possible if a HDD dies and is replaced. The remedy then is to call Adobe (Telephone numbers appear during the activation process).
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
selectcase
Posted 19/08/2011 - 15:25 Link
Mannesty wrote:
bforbes wrote:
Quote:

There is no option to deactivate Lightroom, and I've loaded my one copy about 5 times after reloading a PC/Laptop.

Photoshop et al are different, they will allow a third installation only once one of the two previous installs has been deactivated. This of course is not possible if a HDD dies and is replaced. The remedy then is to call Adobe (Telephone numbers appear during the activation process).

Have to agree with this as I too have installed lightroom and re-installed quite a few times without issue whereas photoshop has the deactivate option

K7D DA 18-55 mk11WR|50-200 wr|DA16-45|Tamron SP90|lots of manual pentax glass
bforbes
Posted 19/08/2011 - 18:24 Link
Sorry your right, thinking about Elements 9
Cisco
Posted 19/08/2011 - 19:49 Link
Anvh wrote:
Who is going to check?

They check when u register, otherwise it's just a trial, and they know which computer because u send additional machine specific data each time

Therefore re-installing on the same machine(s) won't cause a problem, but a third (new) machine will ! They aint stupid !!

The supplier has now admitted he made a mistake ! Won't be buying from him then !!!

Much cheaper if u don't go to Abobe directly
Edited by Cisco: 19/08/2011 - 19:49
Anvh
Posted 19/08/2011 - 20:48 Link
Cisco wrote:
because u send additional machine specific data each time

Oh really, where does it says you give permission to do that?
Also i update my pc quite frequently so if it was true my activation will be long over due by now
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 19/08/2011 - 20:51
bretti_kivi
Posted 19/08/2011 - 20:56 Link
MAC addresses don't change that often and neither does your machine name.
It doesn't necessarily say you give permission, it's possible you agree to it in the depths of the Terms and conditions or licence agreement. It would surprise me very much if there's no simple way to identify your key and your computer.

Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
Smeggypants
Posted 19/08/2011 - 22:35 Link
Anvh wrote:
bforbes wrote:

Most people in the UK have dynamic IPs anyway. My IP changes regularly.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Cisco
Posted 19/08/2011 - 22:35 Link
bretti_kivi wrote:
MAC addresses don't change that often and neither does your machine name.
It doesn't necessarily say you give permission, it's possible you agree to it in the depths of the Terms and conditions or licence agreement. It would surprise me very much if there's no simple way to identify your key and your computer.

Bret

Exactly !! It's your MAC address that identifies you ! Every machine has a unique one ! even your phone !! It's not your IP that they record, it's your MAC ! That's why we're running out of IP addresses and having to move to IPv6 !!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.