Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Life is not always easy

K10D
Posted 02/01/2021 - 12:42 Link
One from Aug 2014 in Paris.

Comment Image

Best regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
Lubbyman
Posted 02/01/2021 - 14:16 Link
Makes you wonder what was on his mind. Impossible to rate the picture as a picture, it would feel like giving an opinion on the person. I hope he eventually found a reason to smile.

Steve
RobL
Posted 02/01/2021 - 15:03 Link
Don't we all feel like this sometimes?
davidwozhere
Posted 03/01/2021 - 00:10 Link
I've taken one or two similar shots of people in similar situations thinking that they ought to be recorded but you have to steel yourself to ignore the reality of what is before you in order to deliberately do it. Then, when I have processed the image I feel very guilty for having taken advantage of a person's vulnerability. The 'ethics' of this situation are horribly mangled.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
Flan
Posted 03/01/2021 - 00:31 Link
agree davidwozhere, i have struggled with similar images i have taken in the past. i was to busy with camera settings and light ,composition etc but the stark reality hits home when you get the prints back from the photo lab ( my film days when i was young and foolish ) .Personally i see these images as an invasion of privacy and i know that sounds strong
K10D
Posted 03/01/2021 - 09:27 Link
All comments very valid and are appreciated. Paris, Essex, North East etc. it is a common sight just about everywhere these days. I took thirty plus similar images in New York and probably a lot more in well off Middle East countries, the difference there is that the police move such people on as it looks bad for the "image" and is not what the authorities want foreigners to see. Also the same in Russia.

If some one is in a public place seeking assistance from the general public I don't see that as private. I take the other view, it needs to be seen by as many people as possible to bring attention to such situations. If I take the view that I should not engage and just pass by, those individuals may as well not exist as most people would do that. I give either money or food & water.

Travelling home from Essex last February, I stopped at Peterborough services. Sat outside the main entrance was such a person. He had all of his belongings with him and looked quite distraught. There was a services security guard stood at the door keeping an eye on him. I went into M&S Simply Food to get a sandwich and overheard the staff member there telling another customer that the person had gone in to ask for food but she could not give him any. She explained that it was M&S's policy to bin all outdated (same day) food rather than give it away. She was not happy in saying that.

I bought two triple pack sandwiches and two bottles of water and as I went back out through the doorway, gave them to the man. All he said was thank you and God bless and I just replied that he was welcome and it was not me that needed blessing. He opened one pack there and then and started to eat.

How he got to the services was more on my mind, it's unusual to see such situations at motorway services.

Again, thank you for being honest.
walkeja
Posted 03/01/2021 - 11:08 Link
Did you ask his permission because ,legally in France, you need a persons permission to photograph them? Otherwise a good candid shot.
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
K10D
Posted 03/01/2021 - 13:04 Link
I did ask and all he did was to nod his head. He didn't speak. I do always do some research/checking when in other countries as to what the rules are regarding photography. I've been detained once in the Middle East for using a camera in a public area that photography was not allowed. No signs or otherwise to warn the public about photography though? I checked on-line later and nothing on any official website either.

Best regards
Sry
Posted 03/01/2021 - 13:11 Link
Technically, taking a photograph of a recognizable individual is perfectly legal in France. It is the publication of said photo (in any form or medium) which requires written consent. With some exceptions (public gatherings and such...)
RobL
Posted 03/01/2021 - 13:13 Link
So that bag of food, loaf of bread and tin of something were donations or had he just sat down for a rest? His appearance doesn’t suggest he is homeless just a bit fed up.
cardiffgareth
Posted 03/01/2021 - 16:37 Link
I think it's a good portrait that evokes a feeling in us.

I was going to say we don't know the circumstances in which the image was created. Gary could of spent time with this fellow before or after taking the image to get to know him, build rapport and ask if he could either taken the image or if he would prefer it deleted, offer him a hot drink or food etc. From reading what Gary said above it appears his ethics are not in question.
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
K10D
Posted 03/01/2021 - 17:54 Link
RobL wrote:
So that bag of food, loaf of bread and tin of something were donations or had he just sat down for a rest? His appearance doesn’t suggest he is homeless just a bit fed up.

Many have bags and tins. The food is donated by passers by.

Comment Image

Some images cannot be posted at normal resolution here due to being too graphic.

Comment Image

Most are destitute and without shelter. The contrast of street survival against the grandeur of French architecture is stark.

Sadly, not unique to Paris.

Best regards

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.