Lens to use with Bellows

cedricd
Posted 21/03/2010 - 15:55 Link
I have dug out my ancient BPM bellows unit and with a little care it will fit the K10. I tried the only auto/manual aperture lens I have (Tamron 28-300) just to see how things worked out. I guess I need to obtain something else `cos to get any focus at all the lens was in contact with the subject. I have both 42mm and K mount adaptors and would welcome some advice as to what focal length lens to go for.

thanks

Cedric
Enjoy life
Daniel Bridge
Posted 21/03/2010 - 16:37 Link
Either a macro lens, or just a 50mm f/1.7 will do nicely Cedric.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
hefty1
Posted 21/03/2010 - 18:21 Link
Have a look at enlarging lenses - there are plenty about and they don't fetch very high prices these days. They are naturals on a bellows as they are designed to have a very flat field of focus, hence making perfect macro lenses.

Most enlarging lenses have a 37mm thread, some use a 25mm thread (like my Schneider Componon). I bought a pair of step-down rings (M42->M37 and M37->25mm) fairly cheaply which between them let me mount just about anything.

As for focal length I find lenses between 50mm and 100mm to be the most useful range - the shorter lengths will provide the greatest magnification but the longer ones provide a more comfortable working distance, so it's all about finding a compromise that suits your subjects really.
Joining the Q
cedricd
Posted 21/03/2010 - 18:43 Link
Thanks Dan and Hefty, E bay here I come.

Cedric
Enjoy life

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo