Lens prices

RobL

Link Posted 04/05/2020 - 10:58
Has anyone else noticed the lens prices have all jumped up recently? The “special offers” available last week were actually the same as the previous listings; I use the Camera Price Buster comparison site and it hasn’t caught up yet, as of time of writing, so you can see the differences when you click on the links.

Benz3ne

Link Posted 04/05/2020 - 11:02
RobL wrote:
Has anyone else noticed the lens prices have all jumped up recently? The “special offers” available last week were actually the same as the previous listings; I use the Camera Price Buster comparison site and it hasn’t caught up yet, as of time of writing, so you can see the differences when you click on the links.

Interesting observation. I'd like to think my lens prices are reasonable!

Gwyn

Link Posted 04/05/2020 - 11:09
Probably something to do with the current world problems don't ya think?

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 04/05/2020 - 11:12
I'm guessing you're talking about SRS. I had a quick gander but didn't see anything that seemed like a great price.

I imagine that the coronavirus is having a huge impact on photographic equipment, it is for many other things.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 04/05/2020 - 11:33
SRSs special offers were more generous than Ricoh's, I think the last SRS offers expired mid-April and probably they still have stocks of some lenses but not all...

I got the D-FA*70-200 for a reasonably good price, not as good as I had hoped but got a good trade offer which I couldn't resist.

But I will wait for the next offers to buy the next thing, assuming the Black Friday deals of yesteryear are repeated.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

LennyBloke

Link Posted 04/05/2020 - 11:53
ilovesaabs wrote:
SRSs special offers were more generous than Ricoh's, I think the last SRS offers expired mid-April and probably they still have stocks of some lenses but not all...

I got the D-FA*70-200 for a reasonably good price, not as good as I had hoped but got a good trade offer which I couldn't resist.

But I will wait for the next offers to buy the next thing, assuming the Black Friday deals of yesteryear are repeated.

Most of the time SRS are hard to beat on price (i doubt they could be beaten at all for service) and they are very fair on part exchange prices - I can't remember the last Brand New Pentax item I bought from anywhere else

IMO they deserve the support particularly in these difficult times - if the D FA* 85/1.4 arrived tomorrow I would be in touch with them immediately
LennyBloke

RobL

Link Posted 04/05/2020 - 12:28
It isn’t just SRS, it seems across the board so where others priced lenses at a similar level they have changed as well. I too use SRS as preferred supplier but sometimes use others if they have what I want in stock and at a good price, I don’t think it hurts to patronise other Pentax stockists as well although I draw the line at Amazon.
Last Edited by RobL on 04/05/2020 - 12:38

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 04/05/2020 - 14:26
It'll all come down to supply and demand in the end. If stock is limited due to factory closures or inefficient working practices but the customer demand is still there then prices will rise. If demand falls but manufacturers and retailers have stock to shift then prices will fall.

My guess is that prices will start to drop quite substantially going into the summer as demand will likely skydive
as people can't go on holiday or to events etc.

Unfortunately this also means that one or more manufacturers are more likely to pull out of DSLR/lens business altogether as no profit it it any longer.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 04/05/2020 - 21:05
The good old British £ seems to have fallen almost 10% against the Yen since the beginning of the year. Perhaps that's got something to do with it...

Steve

davidwozhere

Link Posted 05/05/2020 - 01:56
As I have said so often, Why this huge need to buy new? I have a wonderful collection and I don't need any others. (want, perhaps but not need !)
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

RobL

Link Posted 05/05/2020 - 07:54
New is in a pristine state and comes with a warranty of one or two years; if I could buy used in the same condition I would but the price saving is often quite small compared to Black Friday type deals and there is either a limited or no guarantee which just might turn out to be expensive. Having said that I did buy a 24-70mm lens at a good price from someone who had hardly used it and was swopping systems, but only after handling it before handing over the cash.

This started because there are a couple of lenses I think I want but cannot justify like the 77mm Limited, the price of which I was following for a while, but on reflection that hesitancy tells me it is right to forget it and save the money.

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 05/05/2020 - 11:30
I was thinking that, other than the kit zooms, all the Pentax lenses I've ever bought new are my three AF 35mms: the DA Limited, the 35/2.4 and the new HD FA 35/2. The first was from SRS and the other two irresistible offers from Amazon.

I have lots of lenses and almost all of them have been bought used.

As for demand going down, I love travelling and taking loads of pictures when I do, but I've probably been taking more pictures than ever since the quarantine started. It's due to having more time available for it. I suppose though, that demand from professionals has gone right down because they don't have gigs, aren't using their equipment and there aren't finding faults, new requirements or breaking things, all of which would drive demand.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Lubbyman

Link Posted 05/05/2020 - 13:32
RobL - I used to be with you 100% re new vs used. Now I'm with you 80%. What caused the change of mind was buying a used 77mm limited from LennyBloke. It's a superbly made, screw drive, mechanical lens wth no motors or fancy electronics. As such, there isn't much that can go wrong with it provided the optics are OK and it's been well looked after. So my policy now is that for lenses like this it's OK to buy used from someone who is knowledgable and trustworthy (and LennyBloke certainly is). But for lenses that are not as robust or have electronics or motors, buying new with a warranty is still the policy (and that's why the recent death of my Q 06 is a problem for me ).

As for the 77mm limited, it was a 'nice to have' rather than 'need', but has now become a 'glad I've got it'. It might happen to you...

Steve
Last Edited by Lubbyman on 05/05/2020 - 13:33

RobL

Link Posted 05/05/2020 - 17:21
Lubbyman wrote:

As for the 77mm limited, it was a 'nice to have' rather than 'need', but has now become a 'glad I've got it'. It might happen to you...

Steve

Yeah but now the new DFA* 85mm is coming over the horizon.......!

asbo

Link Posted 05/05/2020 - 17:32
Lubbyman wrote:
that's why the recent death of my Q 06 is a problem for me

I'll have a look at it for you if you want?
Or buy it off you, because I might end up breaking it even more
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.