Lens fungus?

Weatherwax
Posted 05/01/2013 - 17:14 Link
Hi and a very happy new year my fellow Pentaxians!

I recently picked up this lens (cheaply fortunately!) as I am still learning what focal lengths do what and thought it would be a great idea to experiment with as many as I can before deciding which work for me and which don't, before forking out for a decent quality ones.

OK so I digress a little, but my question is this. I bought this as in excellent condition etc etc. This is what it looks like! I have asked for a refund and to return it, but the buyer has said "I have used a lens that has fungi on it and the results are the same as one without fungi it made no difference to the quality of the picture".

I can't accept this to be right surely? I haven't mounted it on my camera as it has a 'ricoh pin' and I'm not about to tamper with it if it needs to be returned to the seller.

I have never come across this issue before, so I am not sure what to think, can someone more experienced tell me if this looks like fungus, and is the lens buggered!

Thanks again if I keep learning one day I might be the one giving advice eh

Comment Image


Cropped
Comment Image
cabstar
Posted 05/01/2013 - 17:24 - Helpful Comment Link
Just return it, clearly it is not in excellent condition.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
johnriley
Posted 05/01/2013 - 17:26 - Helpful Comment Link
This is fungus, quite bad as well, so the lens could be rejected with absolute justification. Unless of course it was sold mentioning the fungus up-front.
Best regards, John
DrOrloff
Posted 05/01/2013 - 17:41 - Helpful Comment Link
The seller sounds like a chancer. You have enough evidence there to win a dispute in the event the seller refuses to refund you.
Weatherwax
Posted 05/01/2013 - 17:42 Link
Thank you guys, I thought it was fungus but since I have never come across it before I wasn't completely sure. In my book, if John says its fungus, then thats what it is and no it wasn't mentioned at all, it was described in excellent 'as new' condition but at least now I know I am right to think it is fungus, and pretty bad case as well. I will be returning it and getting my money back and valuable lesson learnt.
bettyswolloks
Posted 05/01/2013 - 18:31 - Helpful Comment Link
Open an ebay dispute for "item not as described" Its easy and it works. I recently had an item that wasn't as described, the seller just ignored my emails, I opened a dispute and within a week I had my money back and I got to keep the item!

Its better to be safe than sorry Mate
One day you'll find, 10yrs have got behind you.
Mal
Posted 05/01/2013 - 18:45 - Helpful Comment Link
Remember to rate the seller too and give him a nice recommendation

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo