lens compatability
Posted 20/05/2007 - 09:07
Link
Quote:
I want to buy a secondhand 50mm fast lens for the K10D, have seen one locally : SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.7 lens , what would the compatibility be with my camera, I am not sure about 'A' lenses.
Obviously it wd be manual focus, but what about exposure, etc..? compared to my existing lenses FA's which which are fully functional with the K10D.
Manual focus A lenses will be absolutely fine, when set to A.I want to buy a secondhand 50mm fast lens for the K10D, have seen one locally : SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.7 lens , what would the compatibility be with my camera, I am not sure about 'A' lenses.
Obviously it wd be manual focus, but what about exposure, etc..? compared to my existing lenses FA's which which are fully functional with the K10D.
All the metering modes are available, and work. I use an SMC A 50mm F1.7 with the K10D. I've had it for more than 20 years, and I wouldn't dream of selling it. I have three other A-series lenses and they're fine too.
There are exposure issues using A-lenses in manual mode (ie setting aperture on the lens rather than with the camera), but if you keep it set to A there's no problems.
Posted 20/05/2007 - 09:36
Link
Thank you Chris, that sounds great....will keep my eyes peeled now for Pentax 'A' lenses at hopefully bargain prices!
Posted 20/05/2007 - 09:56
Link
Quote:
Thank you Chris, that sounds great....will keep my eyes peeled now for Pentax 'A' lenses at hopefully bargain prices!
Damn! I meant to say, of course, no.. A lenses are dreadful, don't even think of buying any.... leave them all for meeeeeeee... Thank you Chris, that sounds great....will keep my eyes peeled now for Pentax 'A' lenses at hopefully bargain prices!
Joking apart, I doubt if there'll be many bargains to be had. With the new Pentax DSLRs getting more popular, and A lenses working so well with them, I expect their value will hold up well.
Posted 20/05/2007 - 13:52
Link
It's one of the most common Pentax lenses on eBay, and one of the best. Prices usually end up around £20 to £40. There is always at least one on eBay.co.uk at any one time, often several.
On a digital camera, there are some differences with the way the pop-up flash works when "A" (and older) lenses are used (and maybe with the Program mode as well*?) because the camera can't determine the focal length. Otherwise it's fully functional.
* re shutter speed selection to avoid camera shake (?)
On a digital camera, there are some differences with the way the pop-up flash works when "A" (and older) lenses are used (and maybe with the Program mode as well*?) because the camera can't determine the focal length. Otherwise it's fully functional.
* re shutter speed selection to avoid camera shake (?)
~Pete
Posted 20/05/2007 - 22:19
Link
Quote:
Don't worry Chris i am sure there will be enough to go around, as they say what goes around ...comes around
Lilly wrote:
Thank you Chris, that sounds great....will keep my eyes peeled now for Pentax 'A' lenses at hopefully bargain prices!
Damn! I meant to say, of course, no.. A lenses are dreadful, don't even think of buying any.... leave them all for meeeeeeee... Thank you Chris, that sounds great....will keep my eyes peeled now for Pentax 'A' lenses at hopefully bargain prices!
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


979 posts
19 years
Duchy of Cornwall
Obviously it wd be manual focus, but what about exposure, etc..? compared to my existing lenses FA's which which are fully functional with the K10D.
Any tips on which ones to look out for?
BLOG
FLICKR
Pentax: K20D; FA50mm 1.4; FA135mm 2.8; FA 17-28mm; FA 80-320mm; AF360FGZ
Sigma: 30mm F1.4EXDC; 10-20mmEXDC ..... LENSBABY 'Composer' ,