Lens change and dust
Posted 26/05/2009 - 21:30
Link
Switch the camera off before changing lenses, point the camera downwards so dust doesn't fall into the lens throat, change lenses as quickly as possible in as dust free an area as possible.
But don't be afraid to change lenses as often as required - that's what SLRs are for.
But don't be afraid to change lenses as often as required - that's what SLRs are for.
Best regards, John
Posted 26/05/2009 - 21:33
Link
as a newbie I avoid changing lenses often-stupid really
Thanks for advice John.
Chris
Thanks for advice John.
Chris
Posted 26/05/2009 - 22:05
Link
John's advice is spot on. I used to have that same fear of changing lens, but as John said, change the lens as quickly as possible and point camera down. If in the open I try to change lens using my bag as a possible dust free area.
EddieD
K5
Tamron Di11 SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR
Sigma 50-200mm F4-5.6 DC OS HSM
K5
Tamron Di11 SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR
Sigma 50-200mm F4-5.6 DC OS HSM
Posted 26/05/2009 - 22:21
Link
If it's any comfort I may change lenses a dozen times in 2 hours if I'm out walking and would change more but I'm lazy. I do get a little dust but I use a blower and that usually fixes it.
Mike
Mike
---------------------------------------------------
You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
Posted 26/05/2009 - 22:33
Link
Thank you all for your input
Much appreciated.
regards
Chris
Much appreciated.
regards
Chris
Posted 27/05/2009 - 14:38
Link
When I first got my K10D I was terrified at he prospect of getting dust on the sensor when changing lenses. However, after a couple of years of use and with some basic common sense (point the camera down, etc, all previously mentioned in this thread) it has not been a problem at all. One thing I am wary of though, especially at this time of year is the amount of pollen in the air. I don't know, but to me it appears much more sticky than dust and you don't want to get that on your sensor. If you are changing lenses in the field I would perhaps take a little extra care.
/Ian
/Ian
K10D & Super A user.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


631 posts
17 years
West Wiltshire
Can I ask for some good solid advice around how best to avoid dust entering the body when lens changing.
Regards
Chris