Lens Buying Strategy?

pschlute

Link Posted 26/07/2022 - 10:29
My LBA has mainly focussed on vintage lenses. I grew up with a MX and the statutory trio of M series 28/2.8 50/1.7 and 135/3.5.

Almost 20 years ago I decided to collect the entire series of M lenses. Ebay loved me !

I acquired over the years every M prime and zoom with the exception of the 2000/13.5 Reflex and the 35/1.4. Yes including both versions of the 28/2.8

It should have stopped there, but then decided to add the focal lengths from the "K" series for which there was no M equivalent made like the 15/3.5; 17/4 FE; 18/3.5; the 24's and the 30/2.8. It should have ended there, but the K and A 50/1.2 followed and then the 16/2.8FE tempted me as did a 28/3.5 Shift and a K series 28/3.5. A The Hollywood 28/2 was I think the last vintage lens I bought from a well known member here.

It has been great fun and i have learned a lot (become nerdier) along the way. I still give the old lenses an outing on digital and occasionally film too.
Peter

My Flickr page

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 26/07/2022 - 15:53
I have applied some rules to LBA:

1. Buy anything that appears to be seriously under-priced because the user doesn't know it's true worth. Can be sold later at no loss or a profit (thereby generating more funds for lens purchases). I have paid for a large part of my photography gear this way.

2. Buy used but check thoroughly, that way selling on will involve minimal or no loss.

3. Anything that's below a certain threshold is too cheap to pass up: buy it and if it's rubbish then sell it on or dump it.

4. Try to save for something better, resist the smaller unnecessary purchases that whittle away the lens funds.

5. Accumulate and then, when the time is right, launch a massive sell-off to generate funds for an overall system upgrade (I did this second part three months ago and it took me twelve years to get there).
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

RayB

Link Posted 26/07/2022 - 19:41
I moved to Watford.

Where are SRS? 10 minutes away.

Stupid boy!

LennyBloke

Link Posted 26/07/2022 - 19:43
RayB wrote:
I moved to Watford.

Where are SRS? 10 minutes away.

Stupid boy!

Brilliant
LennyBloke

johnriley

Link Posted 26/07/2022 - 23:00
It's been said before, but what Chris at SRS needs is a branch up North. Tyldesley would be very convenient.....
Best regards, John

davidwozhere

Link Posted 27/07/2022 - 00:21
Photographic gear doesn't sit easily with dragons John - that's why he never came further up the motorway from Watford.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link
Last Edited by davidwozhere on 27/07/2022 - 00:22

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 27/07/2022 - 13:51
davidwozhere wrote:
Photographic gear doesn't sit easily with dragons John - that's why he never came further up the motorway from Watford.

Awesome!
Be well, stay safe.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.