Lens back from repair! But ...

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 29/02/2016 - 18:33
Taken Pentax just over a month to repair my lens and send it back as it had to go to France to be repaired. It had a few dings in the plastic at the optic end, a scratch/chip to the front optic and the AF seemed slightly out. After paying out just over 200 it's back here ..... but only for a day as it's getting picked up tomorrow to go back.

Ridiculously the front optic hasn't been replaced which was the main fault with it so the scratch/chip is still there and my AF? Well see for yourself! Never had an issue with the motors not working before but after trying it today first the AF wouldn't work at all. Checked the camera was set to AF and so was the lens and both were so played with the focusing ring which was really notchy and then it tried too but ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El5aviUoruc

I have a mouse motor lens. The squeaking is really bad, the phone doesn't pick it up that well but its really loud. It tried to focus, makes a hell of a squeak and then stops. This fault was not present before the lens went away so it's a new fault that's happened in the company of the lens repairer which was JP Solutions / Pentax France.

Gutted as it's being picked back up tomorrow but I've been warned it'll be another month away
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax DFA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm HSM Macro - Sigma 50mm macro - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 29/02/2016 - 18:45
Mine came back a much better lens after a trip to JPSS - that squeaking does sound bad...

A month away does hurt, I felt it when mine was away and I had comtemplated getting a 17-70 to cover it but the copy I was about to buy didn't focus

Let's hope your lens comes back quickly
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 29/02/2016 - 18:54
Luckily I bought a 18-135mm as a stop gap as otherwise I'd be screwed. I wouldn't of minded a month away but just looking and they had it for 5 weeks and now another 4 weeks minimum on top.

You have to wonder about the quality control and the final inspection / test before it gets wrapped up and returned to the customer. It's a shame that JPS couldn't repair it, this was returned from Pentax France as JPS cannot repair the DA* 16-50mm

Still, at least it's going back and fingers crossed they nail it this time around.

Another plus point is the 18-135mm is a wonderful lens
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax DFA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm HSM Macro - Sigma 50mm macro - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

PeterKR

Link Posted 29/02/2016 - 19:42
That really is a sad tale, Gareth. We expect (and deserve) much better service from Pentax than that !

Meanwhile, enjoy your 18-135, it really IS a lovely lens.
It had bad reviews when it was first released but that seems long passed.
I got mine around 15 months ago as the 'kit lens' with my K50 and can confirm that it's a cracker throughout the range making it a useful 'walkabout' setup.
Therefore, most of the time it stays on the camera.
Perhaps you need to buy a spare camera body so you can keep it to hand all the time !

Good luck
Peter

malcolmk

Link Posted 29/02/2016 - 20:31
cardiffgareth wrote:
It's a shame that JPS couldn't repair it, this was returned from Pentax France as JPS cannot repair the DA* 16-50mm

Who told you that? Mine went to JPS twice last year under warranty. A circuit board failure according to repair note, not the motor.
Maybe you are right, "JPS cannot repair the DA* 16-50". Had to get rid of mine and buy another. Should have waited for the K1 and a 24-70.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.