Left to Right or Right to Left?

Error
  • You need to be logged in to vote on this poll

Utopia Poppy

Link Posted 22/08/2009 - 00:06
Well I voted number 1 for the reasons other people have mentioned. The background trees "lead" me along to the tree and the real focal point of the image.

I'd be willing to bet that number 1 is the original and number 2 is the reversed version. I believe that some people can just tell whether a photo is original or reversed (or reflected - however you want to put it). Maybe we should have a series of different images and get people to guess which ones are original and which are reflected?

Now that I've babbled on like an idiot I'm sure Dan will prove me wrong!

Fiona

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 22/08/2009 - 00:14
Utopia Poppy wrote:

I'm not saying a word...

Keep the comments coming - I find this really interesting.

Oh, and that's a good idea Fiona (about the reversed/non-reversed shots), I might look at doing that.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

darlene

Link Posted 22/08/2009 - 02:02
# 2 for me I like seeing the subject and then scanning the rest of the picture....

aminstar

Link Posted 22/08/2009 - 03:38
Number 1 for me, same reason that others have mentioned about scanning from left to right. I managed to take in all the picture visually when I looked at the first one
Amin Photo Gallery

PentaxBabe

Link Posted 22/08/2009 - 09:06
I went for numder 2 Maybe that explains a lot about my photos I was wondering if it has anything to do with left or right handedness?Apparently, we all have a dominate stronger side to our bodies, mine is the right - so my left side is very much weaker than my right. When I looked at picture 2 it felt more natural as I went straight to the tree on the left almost without effort, but for number 1 I had to change the direction of where I was looking to find the main focus of the picture. Just an idea

gartmore

Link Posted 22/08/2009 - 09:30

I'm not so sure about the reading left to right theory, lots of cultures dont.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 22/08/2009 - 09:35
PentaxBabe wrote:
I went for numder 2 Maybe that explains a lot about my photos

It's not a competition, and there is no right or wrong answer, so even if you're (currently) in the minority, doesn't mean that your preference is any less valid than anyone else's.

What it's shown us so far is that different people 'read' a photo in completely different ways. Although we might be, in the main, reading from left to right, some of us like to see the main subject first, then explore the rest of the image, whilst some of us like to build up to seeing the main subject. Careful investigation of my original post will tell you which of these two camps I fall into.

gartmore wrote:

But (making a sweeping generalisation) we do.

Dan

George Lazarette

Link Posted 22/08/2009 - 12:22
gartmore wrote:

Well, I agree, which is why it would be interesting to see if Arabs, for instance, prefer the right-to-left view.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

gartmore

Link Posted 22/08/2009 - 12:46
The reason Chinese writing runs vertically is that the characters are a word or a syllable and therefore don't need the horizontal space that western characters require in order to be easily read and make sense. I wonder if this could be related to the tall, thin aspect ratio of Chinese landscape painting for example.

Ken
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

paulyrichard

Link Posted 22/08/2009 - 12:54
If you look through some of the pages on this middle eastern photographers Flickr group, there are photos that suggest they compose they're photos, opposite to what we do in the west.

link

Oh well, the link don't work, but jus' check out some relevant flickr sites.
"Ifamericatoldthetruthforjustonedayitswholeworldwouldfallapart "
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt

http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
Last Edited by paulyrichard on 22/08/2009 - 12:55

greynolds999

Link Posted 22/08/2009 - 13:34
Of course there is another element here.

We are all seeing these images mostly to the left of our monitors with differing adverts on the right. Those adverts and the resolutions of our monitors will have an effect.

If these images were hanging on a wall we would change our preferences depending where the pictures were in relation to other things in the room.

(Incidentally, nice photo).
My Photobucket

Aiki

Link Posted 22/08/2009 - 19:27
nr 1
Aiki

----
Pentax K20D; SMC DA 18-55mm II kit; Sigma AF 70-300/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO
GIMP Flickr
PPG

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 23/08/2009 - 00:01
Well, I suppose now would be a good time to reveal which is the original image, and which is reversed...

Utopia Poppy wrote:
I'd be willing to bet that number 1 is the original and number 2 is the reversed version. I believe that some people can just tell whether a photo is original or reversed (or reflected - however you want to put it). Maybe we should have a series of different images and get people to guess which ones are original and which are reflected?

Sorry, couldn't resist quoting you there Fiona!

The original is No. 2 (as seen countless times on my website, if you need proof I'm not lying ).

impotentspider wrote:
I go for No1 and follow the left to right camp

paulyrichard wrote:
#1 for me Daniel...my eye is trained for left to right...

aminstar wrote:
Number 1 for me, same reason that others have mentioned about scanning from left to right.

Daniel Bridge wrote:
Although we might be, in the main, reading from left to right, some of us like to see the main subject first, then explore the rest of the image, whilst some of us like to build up to seeing the main subject. Careful investigation of my original post will tell you which of these two camps I fall into.

I gave Image 1 the file name R2L.jpg, as to me, this one requires you to look at the main subject (the tree), then scan along the background and perhaps return to the tree, so that would be reading the photo right to left.

What I've found most odd about this exercise is that many people (over 2/3 of them if the poll results are representative) will look at a fairly non-descript background before a crisp subject, purely so that they're reading the image from left to right. My eye nearly always gets drawn to a prominent subject first.

I much prefer the look of Image 2, as I say most probably because that's the way I've always known it. However, when I posted the two images, I was expecting most people to agree with me, because they'd be moving their eye from left to right - prominent subject first, then along the background.

Oh well, something new to mention during my workshops...

Dan

Thordell

Link Posted 23/08/2009 - 09:31
Think this poll may be more the result of how most read forum threads than which of these too images is the most harmonious to view. We take in the first post and then skim for posts that either confirm our opinions or are directly opposed.

In this case I think perhaps the first image was taken by our brains as being the one intended by the OP to be the information that we should take in. Not saying this is an intentional act more subconscious. I re-viewed the two shots several times, sometimes the 2nd one first before choosing the 2nd because it suited my way of viewing, think I said tree first and then walk into the distance.

It is nice to be proven correct but interesting that I should be in the minority, perhaps which is why some peoples work appeals where others do not. Those who compose with your view of the world are easier to understand that those who compose in the totally opposite direction.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500

pschlute

Link Posted 23/08/2009 - 10:26
At the risk of spouting psycho-babble, this is what I think.

I think the left to right or right to left reading behaviour may have some validity.

When I look at the first picture it tells me I am "arriving" at the tree. I then study the tree (which is very nice) but don't find my eyes explore the rest of the scene anymore.

The second picture says "departing" to me, and I scan the scenery I imagine I am now walking in to the right of the tree.

This is why I voted for number 2.

Maybe I am just odd

edit: I have just read the thread replies again and see that I am on the same wavelength as Thordell
Peter

My Flickr page
Last Edited by pschlute on 23/08/2009 - 10:28
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.