Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

LED ring lights, use of?

jackitec
Posted 06/06/2010 - 17:50 Link
You can see the effects of led lights in the eyes, Jack.

link
K10D
Posted 06/06/2010 - 18:00 Link
Initially struggled to get that high Jack.
v
v
v
v
v
v
too busy reading the techy stuff...........
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
flossie
Posted 06/06/2010 - 18:23 Link
Really George? You do know that - until a few years ago - said LED macro ring light would have had to have a laser classification (probably class II) and was subject to the same testing & certification rules (EN 60825). You can even go into Maplins and buy a "Laser" that is actually an LED source.

They are both highly directional and a single frequency (coherent)... just because its not used to chop James Bond into two pieces, doesn't mean that it isn't basically the same as a laser, especially where it comes to damaging eyes, which is something very difficult to model and test.

The Control of Artificial Optical Radiation at Work Regulations 2010 is forcing people to become aware of all this, but its going to take a long time to filter-through and have any effect, as even the HSE haven't really concluded what needs to be done... its hard to fight a tide of very cheap products of unknown origin flooding in from China. e.g. I've got a very bright £5 LED torch from Tesco - is it dangerous to point in my eye, does it trigger the blink reflex / close the iris or not, how much UV comes out / is there a filter in the cover... if I went and bought another one next week, would it even have come from the same factory so could it be totally different?
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...
K10D
Posted 06/06/2010 - 18:28 Link
Maplins are handy, but big boys toys are here...

link

Regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
George Lazarette
Posted 06/06/2010 - 19:14 Link
flossie wrote:
Really George? You do know that - until a few years ago - said LED macro ring light would have had to have a laser classification (probably class II) and was subject to the same testing & certification rules (EN 60825). You can even go into Maplins and buy a "Laser" that is actually an LED source.

They are both highly directional and a single frequency (coherent)... just because its not used to chop James Bond into two pieces, doesn't mean that it isn't basically the same as a laser, especially where it comes to damaging eyes, which is something very difficult to model and test.

The Control of Artificial Optical Radiation at Work Regulations 2010 is forcing people to become aware of all this, but its going to take a long time to filter-through and have any effect, as even the HSE haven't really concluded what needs to be done... its hard to fight a tide of very cheap products of unknown origin flooding in from China. e.g. I've got a very bright £5 LED torch from Tesco - is it dangerous to point in my eye, does it trigger the blink reflex / close the iris or not, how much UV comes out / is there a filter in the cover... if I went and bought another one next week, would it even have come from the same factory so could it be totally different?

I am not saying there may not be some dangers inherent in LEDs, but they are not lasers, and this is reinforced by your own point that they are not classified as such. If they once were, then their declassification adds weight to my argument.

In muddying the definitions, you undermine the credibility of your post, which raises some important issues. It would have been better to have said that in some ways LEDs are similar to lasers.

I just wish that there were some inexpensive high-powered (but safe!) LEDs on the market. It would make my life easier.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
doingthebobs
Posted 07/07/2010 - 19:15 Link
I'm interested I all that you have all been saying but if LED's are useless as lighting for macro, why has Pentax included three on the new W90 compact?

Also has anybody actually tried any of the led ring lights currently on offer?
Bob
doingthebobs
Posted 10/07/2010 - 22:27 Link
Doesn't seem like it!
Bob

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.