Lanyon Quoit, Cornwall

nass
Posted 19/03/2010 - 09:57 Link
This is a burial mound that was being constructed when the pharaohs were still around!

Comment Image


Larger version at Flickr: Lanyon Quoit - or click on the photo.
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!
Edited by nass: 19/03/2010 - 09:59
i-Berg
Posted 19/03/2010 - 10:13 Link
Nass,

What a dramatic sky. You've put a great narrative with it on Flickr. It looks like it defies gravity, particularly now that it has only three supports.

Would a little less foreground bring a greater focus to the mound perhaps?
nass
Posted 19/03/2010 - 10:20 Link
Yes Berg, you're quite right - the problem I often get is that the image becomes so wide and thin!

Plz, no posted re-edits... thanks
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!
sam-joseph
Posted 19/03/2010 - 10:47 Link
Isn't that a still from The Flintstones??
Regards
Sam-Joseph
Pentax K7, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO EX, Sigma 70-300 APO, Sigma 1.4x TC, Vivitar 2x TC. Takumar 135mm f2.5, SMC Pentax A 50mm 1:1.7, SMC Pentax -M 1:4 200mm, Pentax X70
thoughton
Posted 19/03/2010 - 10:49 Link
Great shot. I think the 10mm distortion helps here, making the top stone appear longer than it probably was. I tend to agree with iBerg about the foreground, might have preferred it a little closer.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
nass
Posted 19/03/2010 - 10:57 Link
Yeah - but I do wish I had a bit more sky in the original, then I could have done that. Also this was the fisheye and the CA is just horrendous - I hope to order that new sigma 8-16 when and if it ever arrives and when and if the bank gives me another mortgage

Ah well, there's always this year's summer hols to get a better perspective - although I am down there for a week's break over easter. Doubt I'll get to here again though unless there is some interesting weather around that merits it =)

Cornwell is legend for stuff like this, there are stones all over the place. Fun fun fun
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!
Edited by nass: 19/03/2010 - 10:59
womble
Posted 19/03/2010 - 11:48 Link
Really nice dramatic shot although I would have been tempted to get closer myself. Great conversion and sepia toning. Lovely spot too, one of my favourite bits of the country although my family is further north near Boscastle.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
paulgee20
Posted 19/03/2010 - 17:59 Link
Defo take a little of hte foreground? Also possibly just a little off the 'left hand side' just removing that large 'half cloud'Still an abs great shot> Nice dramatic sky.

Superb

Paul
K5's (2)both gripped, K10d gripped, Pentax 28-90 f3.5, Sigma 18-250mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro, Sigma 10-20 f.4-5.6.EX DC, Hoya 135 f2.8, Take on 28mm f2.8 Pentax AF360 flash, 2 fill in slaves. 30 metre remote release, Rt angle viewfinder, Giotto NOT 3261B Tripod with Manfrotto 808Rd4 ball head, Manfroto 4861RC2 monopoly, shoulder stock, various filters etc, Panasonic SET HBS HD Video cam, Tamrac Explorer 8x backpack and a sore back.....
-------------------------------------------------------
Photography is an index for measuring futility and pride.......

Paul

:wink
http://s743.photobucket.com/home/pg20_photos/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pg20

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo