Landscape Critique 2 and Framing Help
Posted 21/04/2013 - 23:26
Link
It's a very beautiful image Alistair and it's very difficult to offer advice on 'improving' it as any such advice will be subjective and none of us will agree!
Only two things spring to my mind:
1. There's a little too much sky in comparison to land - a crop of the top section would help to balance it, despite the sky being so beautifully rendered and having such great cloud formations
2. Some areas of sky are burned out, just above the tree line. Not having the benefit of seeing a RAW file, I don't know if this can be recovered, but I would certainly attempt a re-process by adding some shadow detail and removing some highlights to try and retain detail in all of the sky areas, whilst dragging a little more out of the shadows.
I hope this helps Alistair; the image is lovely as it is but can be improved I think.
Regards
David
Only two things spring to my mind:
1. There's a little too much sky in comparison to land - a crop of the top section would help to balance it, despite the sky being so beautifully rendered and having such great cloud formations
2. Some areas of sky are burned out, just above the tree line. Not having the benefit of seeing a RAW file, I don't know if this can be recovered, but I would certainly attempt a re-process by adding some shadow detail and removing some highlights to try and retain detail in all of the sky areas, whilst dragging a little more out of the shadows.
I hope this helps Alistair; the image is lovely as it is but can be improved I think.
Regards
David
Posted 21/04/2013 - 23:34
Link
This would make a good letterbox crop panorama shot
I don't mind the burned out portions of sky just above the horizon. In fact in some ways it provides a deep contrast to the tree silhuettes.
I don't mind the burned out portions of sky just above the horizon. In fact in some ways it provides a deep contrast to the tree silhuettes.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 06/05/2013 - 12:28
Link
Smeggypants wrote:
This would make a good letterbox crop panorama shot
I don't mind the burned out portions of sky just above the horizon. In fact in some ways it provides a deep contrast to the tree silhuettes.
Yes, I'm with Smeggy on that..it's a great shot and all about lines/texture, a tighter crop on the bottom to remove the darker foreground at the very bottom of the frame and a tighter crop on the right hand side to remove most of the vertical cloud pattern...the shot would then have a very strong right to left movement which I think would be even better than what's already a great image...hope this makes sense and please chose to completely ignore it if you don't agreeThis would make a good letterbox crop panorama shot
I don't mind the burned out portions of sky just above the horizon. In fact in some ways it provides a deep contrast to the tree silhuettes.
Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com
My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk
Find me on Google+ link
My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk
Find me on Google+ link
Posted 06/05/2013 - 16:47
Link
I know nothing about landscape composition at the moment but this thread is really helping me see and to improve on an already stunning photo. Nice thread.
Posted 06/05/2013 - 17:01
Link
Leave it as it is, Alistair - the viewer is looking up the slope into the scene, so the brain expects to perceive a big sky, and it is an interesting one.
Philip
Philip
Posted 06/05/2013 - 17:02
Link
I agree that an inch off the sky would be beneficial. I'd be tempted, too, to crop out the wire fencing on the rt-hand side.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1521 posts
15 years
I am getting some photos together for friends that want photos for their new house. They like some of my landscapes and I want to do them proud. I got a great postcard framing tip from Morpehous and thought perhaps you could shed some light or advice on this one.
Thanks!
QC
Check out ones photographs on Flickr!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/