Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Lack of K3 - III specific postings

Snappyhoffy
Posted 06/06/2021 - 23:01 Link
I am surprised not to see more posts on this forum from new K3-III owners? Are there that few in the UK?
'Life looks simple through a viewfinder'.....then I went Digital!
Keith
K3 III, DA* 16-50, HD DA 16-85, DA* 50-135, DA* 300, HD 55-300 PLM, HD 1.4x, AF360
Pwynnej
Posted 07/06/2021 - 09:05 Link
I hate to say it but I think quite a significant number of owners/prospective owners are not members on here, aren't aware of PU or left many years ago....
Z-1p, K-1, P50
F50 1.7. SMC-FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. HD-FA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon
redbusa99
Posted 07/06/2021 - 09:18 Link
perhaps a lot cannot justify 2 grand on a new toy after the situation we have been through over the last 18 months and maybe there are more important things in life. Some may well have lost their livelyhoods
odd lens or 2

Flickr
JohnX
Posted 07/06/2021 - 09:24 Link
I suppose part of the issue might also be whether those of us who have bought the K3III are/were in the habit of posting about our camera(s) per se or just contribute to the forum on a more general basis?

I, for example, never post photos as I prefer to save my blushes and not inflect my poor efforts on the rest of you!
Edited by JohnX: 07/06/2021 - 09:26
Snappyhoffy
Posted 07/06/2021 - 09:54 Link
redbusa99 wrote:
perhaps a lot cannot justify 2 grand on a new toy after the situation we have been through over the last 18 months and maybe there are more important things in life. Some may well have lost their livelyhoods

I understand your view but as an NHS worker that has worked through all this 'madness' my photography has kept my sanity (or what's left of it) and the K3 III has really 'brightened my life' (and I feel privileged that I am in that position). I was just intrigued that there was so much 'traffic' on the more U.S. based forum that led me to believe that there may not have been many sales in the UK.
'Life looks simple through a viewfinder'.....then I went Digital!
Keith
K3 III, DA* 16-50, HD DA 16-85, DA* 50-135, DA* 300, HD 55-300 PLM, HD 1.4x, AF360
Nigelk
Posted 07/06/2021 - 10:26 Link
It would seem that all the UKs initial allotment sold either before it arrived or very soon after arrival.
A. this is a comparatively small and quiet site
B. Even on the larger/busier sites it is only a handful of people who have the camera that are posting, with many others creating the discussion.
My conclusion, early days yet. Hopefully we'll get a few more posts about the new camera and maybe a review!
Personally, I'd love to buy the camera but £1,900 is a bit much for me at the moment. We'll see if there is a couple of hundred quid off later in the year
Edited by Nigelk: 07/06/2021 - 10:27
MrB
Posted 07/06/2021 - 10:35 Link
redbusa99 wrote:

Also, perhaps there are others who, like me, could afford to buy the K-3 III but who are quite happy with the Pentax camera that we now have (in my case KP), so cannot see the 2 grand as a justifiable spend for the sort of photography that we like to do.

Philip
Lubbyman
Posted 07/06/2021 - 11:21 Link
MrB wrote:
Also, perhaps there are others who, like me, could afford to buy the K-3 III but who are quite happy with the Pentax camera that we now have ... so cannot see the 2 grand as a justifiable spend for the sort of photography that we like to do.

Me too. At the moment, I'd rather spend the money on going somewhere at the right time of year to do some of the sort of photography I like to do. But still too much uncertainty to book anything.

As for new owners posting about the K3 III, this seems to be the sort of forum where you'll get helpful answers if you ask a question but few posts of the 'look at what my new toy can do' type (which is the way I like it ). Perhaps if someone asked a specific question about the K3 III, there would be lots of answers from new owners.

Snappyhoffy - It's good to hear that photography helped keep you 'sane' during the 'madness'. Your new camera is well deserved!

Steve

Steve
cbrog
Posted 07/06/2021 - 11:38 Link
Or perhaps there are others like me who simply cannot afford to indulge in a new K3-III - they are rather expensive...and for me a K1 would be more desirable - all those full frame lenses sitting in my cupboard
In any case, I think that good glass is far far more important. That isn't to say .............................

Roger
Edited by cbrog: 07/06/2021 - 11:49
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 07/06/2021 - 22:02 Link
I think there are still very few in the hands of users so far. Given the price it's not likely to be a high-volume seller even when supply can meet the demand at that price.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Chrism8
Posted 08/06/2021 - 15:25 Link
Pretty much the first outing with mine lunchtime today, had it a couple of weeks, but the weathers not been good and when its been reasonable I've been working.

Had a chance this afternoon for an hour at a local pond, first impressions, the focusing does seem better, quicker and more accurate, did try some mating damselflies in flight but very skittish, got one sharp but not the other and the bg was distracting with the 150 - 450 ( equiv up to 695mm ) again hand held, they were very tricky.

200 iso - 1/50th sec 150 - 450 at 450mm ( so 695mm equiv ) Handheld SOOC

Comment Image

800 iso - 1/1000 sec 150 - 450 at 450mm ( so 695mm equiv ) Handheld plus a reasonable crop

Comment Image

I need to play more with it and with the AF settings
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
Edited by Chrism8: 08/06/2021 - 15:27
Chrism8
Posted 10/06/2021 - 18:11 Link
First impressions are very good,build quality as we all expect for Pentax, noise handling better than the K3ii and poss better than the K1, certainly up to 800 .

AF again seems improved, not tried it yet on BIF, had a visit planned to Slimbridge last weekend but thouted by the weather so will try again as soon as poss.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
womble
Posted 11/06/2021 - 14:25 Link
I was very lucky to win one, but I'm not certain why I should be posting about it specifically? If I have a problem I cannot solve, I'll ask a question (but mostly I've used the manual ), and if I have some nice pictures I'll post them. For various personal reasons I've not been doing much photography of late.

It is the best dSLR I have ever owned and I'm very happy with it. Odd annoying things, but aren't there always? For the way I use a camera, I find the Special Function button and the extra dial superfluous. I find being happy to use ISO 3200 without worry great, and I love the viewfinder. The menu system is different enough from the K10D/K20D/K-3 that sometimes I have to hunt for things, but that is largely because the new camera has so many more options that they needed to refine the menu system. I'm both pleased they have sold-out and worried that people will go somewhere else if they have to wait too long.

Any questions, just ask.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
JonSchick
Posted 11/06/2021 - 23:14 Link
Another NHS worker here and love the camera.

That said, I’m currently seconded to the national team coordinating COVID testing capacity across NHS labs in England, so the time to use it has been rather fleeting….it is however by some margin the best dSLR I’ve used. When/if I have some images worth sharing, I’ll be back!
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link
RobL
Posted 13/06/2021 - 11:44 Link
According to Pentax Rumors (sic) the K3.III was the best selling camera in Japan for April.
Edited by RobL: 13/06/2021 - 11:47

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.