Kx RAW files
Posted 05/08/2011 - 22:35
Link
The way I managed to save mine when this happened to me was to upload them onto the processing package that came with the Pentax camera as nothing else would recognise the PEF.
I then altered the settings on the camera to save RAW in DNG format which is recognised in the other processing packages they don't seem to like the PEF though.
Kind regards
Charlotte
I then altered the settings on the camera to save RAW in DNG format which is recognised in the other processing packages they don't seem to like the PEF though.
Kind regards
Charlotte
Posted 06/08/2011 - 09:39
Link
Agree with Charlotte entirely. Also check that PSE7 is fully updated.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses
Stuart..
Stuart..
Posted 06/08/2011 - 10:05
Link
The advantage of DNG is that many software packages recognise the format vs. PEF which is more limited (and model specific).
On the other hand, DNG files are bigger than PEF I believe.
I use DNG on my K20D, and just carry a lot of high quality 4gb SD cards, which also addresses my 'eggs in one basket' concern over potential for card/data corruption. I shoot JPEG + RAW and manage c50 shots per 4gb card.
I agree with using the Pentax software to read PEF, but PSE7 should recognise it if up to date.
On the other hand, DNG files are bigger than PEF I believe.
I use DNG on my K20D, and just carry a lot of high quality 4gb SD cards, which also addresses my 'eggs in one basket' concern over potential for card/data corruption. I shoot JPEG + RAW and manage c50 shots per 4gb card.
I agree with using the Pentax software to read PEF, but PSE7 should recognise it if up to date.
Posted 06/08/2011 - 16:15
Link
JohnX wrote:
On the other hand, DNG files are bigger than PEF I believe.
The K7 and i beleive the Kx as well where the first one to compress the DNG more so that they are roughly the same size as PEF.
On the other hand, DNG files are bigger than PEF I believe.
Posted 06/08/2011 - 22:23
Link
I use PEFs and PSE7 and have no ptoblem - but that was only after I downloaded a newer version of camera Raw from adobe. I think you will need Version 5.6 - what are you using?
On a dark desert highway, cool Pentax K5 in my hand.
My Kit
K5 & 18-55 Kit lens, K7, Pentax 18-250mm lens, Sigma 10-20mm lens, Sigma 105mm Macro lens, Pentax 50mm 1.7 lens, Cokin P Series Filters
My Kit
K5 & 18-55 Kit lens, K7, Pentax 18-250mm lens, Sigma 10-20mm lens, Sigma 105mm Macro lens, Pentax 50mm 1.7 lens, Cokin P Series Filters
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



397 posts
19 years
Auldearn..Nairn,
Bonnie Scotland
What I'm asking is which format of raw file PEF/DNG to set on my kx Ta.
Sean