KR praises the K1000

K10D

Link Posted 09/10/2011 - 13:17
A thumbs up for the K1000 in simple, non complicated terms.

link

Best regards

johnriley

Link Posted 09/10/2011 - 13:37
The claims about the zone system are a bit bizarre.
Best regards, John

womble

Link Posted 09/10/2011 - 13:37
I must admit I prefer the KM. Pretty much all that KR says about the K1000 with the helpful additions of a self timer and DoF preview. Even slightly more advanced cameras like the MX and the LX are pretty simple to use.

The main thing I miss when using film v. digital is the ability to change ISO easily. I sort of get around that by having too many film bodies!

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Algernon

Link Posted 09/10/2011 - 14:01
His review of the Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8 link contained some of the
most idiotic drivel I've ever seen in a lens review
Fancy complaining that a lens has half-stops, I ask you!

It always surprised me the number of pros, using slide film
and full stop lenses which wouldn't allow them to go half a stop
under and over. It had to be full stops or nothing at all
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

walkeja

Link Posted 09/10/2011 - 15:32
My first SLR
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 09/10/2011 - 15:51
My father left me his K1000 and my son used it for his A level photography course.

I've still got it but it hasn't been used for five years...

I like the fact Ken Rockwell is not an equipment junkie but his pictures are a bit lurid (to European tastes, at least) and he does say some odd, controversial things.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

Dangermouse

Link Posted 11/10/2011 - 21:33
womble wrote:
I must admit I prefer the KM. Pretty much all that KR says about the K1000 with the helpful additions of a self timer and DoF preview. Even slightly more advanced cameras like the MX and the LX are pretty simple to use.

The main thing I miss when using film v. digital is the ability to change ISO easily. I sort of get around that by having too many film bodies!

K.

Or the KX. More of the same but a more sensitive meter along with aperture/shutter speed in the viewfinder. You still have to do the work, but the camera gives you a bit more information to work with. About the only downside is that the match needle display isn't that easy to read in low light - the MX's LEDs are more useful there.

I do have a soft spot for the KM and will be using mine to fire off a roll of slide film when we next see some sun.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

womble

Link Posted 11/10/2011 - 22:55
Dangermouse wrote:
I do have a soft spot for the KM and will be using mine to fire off a roll of slide film when we next see some sun.

Not anytime soon then!

I mentioned the KM as the nearest in spec to the K1000. I, too, prefer the KX or MX although my favourite film camera remains my LX. I've never used the K2 but that has its fans too.

At the moment I'm indulging in a little retro masochism and running a roll through my A3...

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Dangermouse

Link Posted 12/10/2011 - 13:44
The A3 isn't that bad. At least it tells you what shutter speed it wants to use, even though you only get a button which overexposes by 1.5 stops for backlit subjects in place of exposure compensation!

We might get some sun with the promised snow. I know the lighter ground and relatively bright skies tend to help with balancing exposure. Today we've got light grey skies but no direct sunlight, so there's a horrible imbalance which plays havoc with the narrow exposure latitude of slide film.

As I understand it the KM meter averages rather than being centre weighted? I seem to get the best from it (when the subject is shaded or when the sun is likely to confuse the meter) by excluding the sky, setting the exposure, then composing and shooting.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

womble

Link Posted 12/10/2011 - 15:00
Dangermouse wrote:
As I understand it the KM meter averages rather than being centre weighted? I seem to get the best from it (when the subject is shaded or when the sun is likely to confuse the meter) by excluding the sky, setting the exposure, then composing and shooting.

That is how I always used to meter with the ME Super when using slide film, even though it was centre weighted. Seemed to work on the whole!

K.
Kris Lockyear

My website
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.