KP vs K1 Image Quality

HarisF1

Link Posted 01/02/2021 - 07:38
The FA20 reaches DFA levels of pricing so if you get a chance you can look for the A20 which is the same lens without AF.

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 01/02/2021 - 08:33
Agree with all of the above... havenít had the pleasure of the FA 20-35, but have only heard good things... have had the Tokina 17mm, Pentax A20 and FA20... I personally felt my copy of the Tokina 17mm was slightly out-resolved by the K1... but the A20 and the FA20 are both great... not quite as nose-bleedingly sharp as say the DFA 15-30, but plenty sharp enough... I still regularly use the FA20 as my wide angle prime... only moved my A20 on as it wasnít getting quite enough use...

Good luck with it all David...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

JAK

Link Posted 01/02/2021 - 20:04
HarisF1 wrote:
The FA20 reaches DFA levels of pricing so if you get a chance you can look for the A20 which is the same lens without AF.

If you mean the 15-30 it shouldn't come close. I paid around £400 for a decent FA20 though some do ask more. Where can I get a DFA for that? More likely at least double the price.
John K

davidstorm

Link Posted 01/02/2021 - 23:15
Thanks for all the lens suggestions, tbh they are a bit on the expensive side for me at present. I do have some nice lenses on the way which I will try, including a SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, which I understand to be the same optical formula as the renowned K 28 f/3.5, so I have high hopes for this one. Also have a K 35 f/3.5 coming soon, although it has fungus and will need a clean, also a K series 24mm f/2.8.

I'll try all these out, along with a cheap Cosina 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 AF zoom, which will work fine on FF, but i don't hold out hopes for this being much good. We'll see when it arrives.

Regards
David
Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Defragged

Link Posted 01/02/2021 - 23:29
There's a couple here that might be worthy of inspection. Not cheap exactly, but then none are!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224331278847?ViewItem=&item=224331278847
https://www.campkinscameras.com/product/sigma-fisheye-16mm-f-2-8-lens/

Good hunting.
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!

davidstorm

Link Posted 04/02/2021 - 13:12
Hi All

A quick update on my search for lenses to use with the K1. Whilst I'm looking for some nice, cheap primes that can do the K1's sensor justice, I also need some travel / walk-around zooms. I had already purchased the DFA 28-105, with a view to testing this against some other lenses to see if it's worth keeping. First impressions of this lens were slightly mixed, colours and contrast very good, but sharpness? I wasn't convinced. So, I also have two very cheap full frame zooms, a Cosina 19-35 f3.5-4.5 and a Tamron superzoom 28-300 f3.5-6.3. The cost of the three lenses:

Cosina 19-35 = £30
Tamron 28-300 = £53
Pentax 28-105 = £340

As my main interest is landscapes and wide angle photography, I tested all three lenses today side by side at 28mm. Tests were on a tripod, Aperture at f11, ISO 100, 2 second self timer to avoid any shake, focused manually on a road sign in the centre of the image using live view focus peaking to ensure all were correctly focused. I have purposefully under-exposed the images to avoid any blown highlights. The results were quite astounding and as follows:

Centre Sharpness: Best = Cosina (by a large margin), second best = Tamron, worst (by a long way) = Pentax

Edge Sharpness: Best = Pentax (small margin), second best = Tamron, worst = Cosina, but margins here are small and not a concern to me

Colours / contrast: Best = Tamron, second best = Pentax, third = Cosina, but all were good and the Cosina images can be brought easily up to the same level in post processing

Chromatic Aberrations: There was very little between the three, but what shocked me were the CA's the Pentax lens exhibits at the edges, even on subjects that are not particularly contrasty. For edge CA's, the Pentax lens is by far the worst of the three.

You might not be surprised to hear that I'll be selling the DFA 28-105 after not being very impressed initially and then having suspicions confirmed by these tests. Clearly at the wide end, the 28-105 is not very good, or at least my copy is not very good! Would be interested to hear what others think of this lens. BTW, all three lenses are in pretty much mint condition.

Here are the 3 images, these are from RAW files that have not been adjusted in any way, they are straight from the camera with no sharpening, no contrast changes, just a tweak to exposure to make them all viewable.

Cosina 19-35:

Tamron 28-300:

Pentax 28-105:

My advice following these tests, if you want a basic walk-around kit for a K1, get a Cosina 19-35 and a Tamron 28-300!

Any thoughts / observations welcome, you might find it difficult to see the difference in the small image sizes the forum allows, but I have zoomed them to 200% in photoshop to inspect them side by side.

Regards
David
Flickr

Defragged

Link Posted 04/02/2021 - 23:38
My eyes aren't what they used to be and so I may not be the best judge but to be honest I don't discern a vast amount of difference in them at the size they are reproduced here. The 28-105 usually has lots of praise heaped on it. If you think yours performed poorly, especially at the price comparison, maybe your copy just isn't one of its best examples. Never-the-less, I think unless one pixel-peeps, or sharpness of the subject is going to be critical, they all look acceptable. Just my thoughts so please don't be offended.
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!

davidwozhere

Link Posted 04/02/2021 - 23:40
The Pentax-F 28-105 is an awful lens so I doubt if the done up version is any better. The F 35-105, on the other hand, is an absolutely wonderful beast, although they often have damaged plastic filter rings (take the glass out of an appropriate old filter and screw the metal ring in to strengthen it - works a treat). I think the focal range of your Tamron is maybe pushing it a bit too far? Their 28-200 is an excellent performer that always goes on holiday with me. There is a Pentax version too but it's simply the same Tamron rebadged! You won't go wrong looking at the Soligor m42 lineup either - the f5.5 300mm might be manual and slow but it gives a DA* a run for its money. £30 as opposed to £900 or more? The f4.5 250mm isn't far behind it either.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

davidstorm

Link Posted 05/02/2021 - 00:02
Defragged wrote:
My eyes aren't what they used to be and so I may not be the best judge but to be honest I don't discern a vast amount of difference in them at the size they are reproduced here. The 28-105 usually has lots of praise heaped on it. If you think yours performed poorly, especially at the price comparison, maybe your copy just isn't one of its best examples. Never-the-less, I think unless one pixel-peeps, or sharpness of the subject is going to be critical, they all look acceptable. Just my thoughts so please don't be offended.

Hi Defragged, I'm not surprised you can't see the difference in these tiny images on the Forum, but believe me it's blindingly obvious when you see them full size! The Pentax (my copy at least) is truly awful against these two very cheap zooms. If it can't beat a Tamron 28-300 at 28mm, there's something really wrong, but it's true! It gets nowhere close. It shocked me, particularly as this lens was designed for the K1.

I would like to hear from other DFA 28-105 owners to see what they think of their copy, as mine might be a 'wrong-un', but I somehow doubt this. My gut feeling is that it's just not a great lens.

Regards
David
Flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 05/02/2021 - 00:26
I reviewed the D FA 28-105mm for ePHOTOzine and also bought one for myself. Both copies performed extremely well, being almost as good as the 24-70mm.

If your is no good David then there must be something wrong with it.
Best regards, John

JAK

Link Posted 05/02/2021 - 01:08
David,
Are you in a position to return it for a replacement? If it's second hand already, maybe its former owner wanted shot of it for the same reason as you. Other copies of the lens get good scores at PF with an overall 9.06/10.
Your copy does sound iffy to say the least.
John K

jeallen01

Link Posted 05/02/2021 - 09:20
Ref the Cosina 19-35 zoom, I had a Vivitar "Series 1" version of that on my MZ-5N and it always seemed to produce very acceptably sharp & contrasty results - sold it on when I went APS-C digital because it was relatively large and not really very useful on the GX-10 & then K-5
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 05/02/2021 - 09:23

davidstorm

Link Posted 05/02/2021 - 19:56
johnriley wrote:
I reviewed the D FA 28-105mm for ePHOTOzine and also bought one for myself. Both copies performed extremely well, being almost as good as the 24-70mm.

If your is no good David then there must be something wrong with it.

Hi John

I read your review before buying the lens and it was one of the reasons I bought it. However, since using it I have not been overly impressed. It is sharper at the edges of the frame than my cheap Cosina, but not in the parts of the image that really count. It also exhibits a fair amount of red and green CA, more so at the edges, but across the whole frame to some extent. I did another test today, comparing with my Pentax-M 28mm F/3.5, both lenses at F11 and the old 3.5 beat it across the whole frame. I know the M3.5 is a prime lens, but it's nearly 50 years old! My copy of the 28-105 is comfortably out-resolved by the K1.

Unfortunately, I can't return the lens, so it will be sold.

Regards
David
Flickr

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.