Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

kiron macro repair

Mongoose
Posted 02/06/2008 - 23:51 Link
I have a Kiron 105mm Macro lens which I bought on ebay silly cheap 18 months or so ago. When I got it, it turned out to have a damaged focus mechanism and ended up in a box not being used. Recently my Dad and I have been playing around with it and it turns out that it totally deserves it's legendary reputation. The thing makes shots taken with my Tamron 90mm SP look like they were taken through a beer bottle.

So now I'm thinking about trying to have it repaired. The focus sticks at about 1:1.2 and the focus ring has become offset from where it should be so that the markings don't line up with the correct distances. I think it probably just needs a professional to dismantle it, clean it up, lubricate it and put it back together.

Any recommendations where I should send it?
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help
ChrisA
Posted 03/06/2008 - 07:40 Link
Mongoose wrote:
Any recommendations where I should send it?

You might contact this guy, although I realise he's not exactly on your doorstep.

He fixed the iris on a Sigma 400mm AF lens I had last year, charged me £40 including parts which he happened to have despite Sigma themselves telling me that it was no longer repairable. He's local to me, so postage costs aren't a factor.

Genuine bloke, very decent, AFAICT from one encounter.
Mongoose
Posted 03/06/2008 - 14:58 Link
thanks Chris, I'll drop that guy an e-mail and see what he thinks.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.