KI on a building site

malcolmk

Link Posted 01/05/2016 - 21:30
I have become a little obsessive about recording construction progress on the new Crossrail station which is just a few minutes walk from home.

All of these were taken over the past 48 hours with the K1 and mainly the new 24-70 lens.

The web page starts with some early morning shots into the sun, but scroll down a bit for more friendly shooting conditions.

They are often heavily cropped, some with deep shadows, and a few through dirty Perspex screens and often into the sun. When the Perspex is combined with the sun you can see the flare.

They are also heavily compressed using PhotoShop's Save for web facility.

However the point I wish to make is that the results are in my opinion a notable step up from the K3 and 16-50 DA* I had been using.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 02/05/2016 - 00:21
I admire your persistence - also the technology that enables something like this to be built like a lego set !
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

davidtrout

Link Posted 02/05/2016 - 09:33
That's a fantastic piece of documentary photography and a valuable record for years to come. It shows the short term pain for people living and working around the site and the long term benefit for the people of London.
Have you followed this from the start of the project? If so you have the material for a fascinating exhibition when its all completed.
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

Algernon

Link Posted 02/05/2016 - 10:45
davidtrout wrote:
That's a fantastic piece of documentary photography and a valuable record for years to come. It shows the short term pain for people living and working around the site and the long term benefit for the people of London.
Have you followed this from the start of the project? If so you have the material for a fascinating exhibition when its all completed.
David

Or a prosecution case by HSE.

Photography on building sites is usually forbidden (fear of prosecution). I suppose they would have a difficult job stopping you from a public area, but be careful you don't go too close....... you might fall into a concrete skip

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

malcolmk

Link Posted 02/05/2016 - 13:36
I have similar pictures from when they began demolition around the old station and later of the station itself succumbing to the wreckers and every stage of reconstruction and track laying since then.

Weekday train services have been maintained throughout but the route into the station has become torturous from the north. Half mile detour for a step free route.

All photos are taken from public roads although the next phase may block the best vantage point.

It's only five minutes walk from home so a fairly easy job. Network Rail are documenting it on time lapse and mobile phones. Officially they have a Canon but I don't think anyone there knows how to use it.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.