K7 owners- a few questions?
Posted 02/05/2011 - 22:41
Link
Sorry, I updated my post. Upgraded from
a K-X
a K-X
Posted 02/05/2011 - 22:48 - Helpful Comment
Link
K-x has better high ISO performance (not sure about DR).
In every other way the K-7 is superior, build, AF speed, fps, handling, WR, extra wheel, top LCD (which I couldn't do without), more megapixels for cropping, bigger rear LCD with better resolution, etc etc.
Great camera.
In every other way the K-7 is superior, build, AF speed, fps, handling, WR, extra wheel, top LCD (which I couldn't do without), more megapixels for cropping, bigger rear LCD with better resolution, etc etc.
Great camera.
Posted 02/05/2011 - 22:50
Link
Agreed with Mike-P
Regards
Regards
Colin
“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
[IMG]http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/weldingblues/K-7userbar-red.jpg[/IMG]
“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
[IMG]http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/weldingblues/K-7userbar-red.jpg[/IMG]
Posted 02/05/2011 - 23:01 - Helpful Comment
Link
This was quite a relevant thread: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/142305-i-finally-got-m...
Posted 02/05/2011 - 23:15
Link
Cheers. The thing with the higher ISO is that some pictures can be a bit grainy though. I just offered $625 for a k7
Posted 02/05/2011 - 23:27
Link
dinneenp wrote:
Cheers. The thing with the higher ISO is that some pictures can be a bit grainy though. I just offered $625 for a k7
Haha just wait till you see the K-7, then you'll see what grain really looks like! No seriously its not too bad at conservative ISOs, at least it's film-like.
Cheers. The thing with the higher ISO is that some pictures can be a bit grainy though. I just offered $625 for a k7
Posted 03/05/2011 - 00:19
Link
Doesn't the K7 share the same (aged) sensor as the K20D?
According to DXO the KX sensor beats that of the K7 (including DR)
link
If video is not needed, perhaps a K20D would do just as well (and keep the Kx)?
For info I've also considered a K7, but see myself missing the better ISO and DR performance of the KX.
According to DXO the KX sensor beats that of the K7 (including DR)
link
If video is not needed, perhaps a K20D would do just as well (and keep the Kx)?
For info I've also considered a K7, but see myself missing the better ISO and DR performance of the KX.
K5IIs, Sigma 10-20, Pentax DA 16-85, Pentax DA 55-300, Pentax 70 Ltd, Metz 44 AF-2.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ambott/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ambott/
Posted 03/05/2011 - 07:52 - Helpful Comment
Link
Recently I have made the upgrade from K20 to K-7 and from K-x to K-r. I quickly sold my K-7 because I just could not live with the 'high' ISO-noise above ISO 800. Kept my K-r and intended to buy a K-5, in the end thought I would be better off with some new lenses and now I only have the K-r. Couldn't be happier with a new camera, sure sometimes I miss the double wheels and other controls on the body but most of the time I can get by with the controls the K-r offers.
If you like the viewfinder focuspoints the K-r would be a reasonable choice. Also you get a better LCD-screen at te back (bigger and higher resolution) and somewhat higher maximum frames per second.
Build quality of the K-7 on the other hand is very good but the K-r is well built too considering it's mostly plastic on the outside.
For me the choice was somewhat easier because I use my new 150-500mm quite a lot these days and every gram saved elsewhere is a plus for me.
If you like the viewfinder focuspoints the K-r would be a reasonable choice. Also you get a better LCD-screen at te back (bigger and higher resolution) and somewhat higher maximum frames per second.
Build quality of the K-7 on the other hand is very good but the K-r is well built too considering it's mostly plastic on the outside.
For me the choice was somewhat easier because I use my new 150-500mm quite a lot these days and every gram saved elsewhere is a plus for me.
Posted 03/05/2011 - 08:13
Link
When the k-x came out i made the choice between a k-x and k-7, at the time i couldnt justify the k-7 as the k-x has better sensor and low light capabilitys. i would of been gutted buying the k-7 if a few months later they bought something else out....which they did, the k-5.
if i had bought the k-7 then i would not of been able to upgrade again so i went with the k-x with the view of seeing what they came out with, and have now upgraded to the k-5
if i had bought the k-7 then i would not of been able to upgrade again so i went with the k-x with the view of seeing what they came out with, and have now upgraded to the k-5
Pentax K-5
DA 18-55mm AL WR DAL 50-200mm Tamron 70-300mm, Auto Chinon 28mm 2.8. sigma 30mm 1.4 DC
Metz 48 af-1
Flickr
DA 18-55mm AL WR DAL 50-200mm Tamron 70-300mm, Auto Chinon 28mm 2.8. sigma 30mm 1.4 DC
Metz 48 af-1
Flickr
Posted 03/05/2011 - 11:23
Link
Thanks for the replies. Would anyone be able to post a few pictures of some high ISO shots with the K-7 please?
I have 2 young kids so take a fair few indoor shots. I have a 17-50 f2.8 and a 30mm f1.4 lens which help me keep ISO down but I'm still a bit concerned after some of the above comments.
I've considered the K-R too but the K-7 seems like the bigger brother, the K-5 is way out of my budget league.
I have 2 young kids so take a fair few indoor shots. I have a 17-50 f2.8 and a 30mm f1.4 lens which help me keep ISO down but I'm still a bit concerned after some of the above comments.
I've considered the K-R too but the K-7 seems like the bigger brother, the K-5 is way out of my budget league.
Posted 03/05/2011 - 12:18
Link
If you want to see hi ISO from the K7, have a look in the post...Hi ISO with K7... there are photos that some of the members have posted,do a forum search,from the bar at the top of this page.
I myself like to shoot 100 ISO if posible but will take it higher if it is required,but if you shoot bird s with 500mm lens in the shade you will be in trouble.
I like the K7 but will look at upgrading in the future K3?
I myself like to shoot 100 ISO if posible but will take it higher if it is required,but if you shoot bird s with 500mm lens in the shade you will be in trouble.
I like the K7 but will look at upgrading in the future K3?
K5iis,K7,KM, MG, Super A, MZ50.
24f2.8; 28f2.8;31 limited; 35f2; 55f1.8; 135f2.8; 400f5.6:
Some zooms
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/jack" target="_blank">
http://c759846.r46.cf2.rackcdn.com/img/black_link.jpg" alt="See my photos featured in the PENTAX Photogallery" />
24f2.8; 28f2.8;31 limited; 35f2; 55f1.8; 135f2.8; 400f5.6:
Some zooms
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/jack" target="_blank">
Posted 03/05/2011 - 12:31
Link
The thing is that Lightroom deals with noise from the K-7 very well so you can go over quite a bit. Normally I wouldn't take it over ISO 800 but this was 2000 and then had a bit of a tidy up with Lightroom.
ISO 2000

Robin by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr
ISO 1600

Barn Owl by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr
ISO 800

Squirrel by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr
ISO 2000

Robin by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr
ISO 1600

Barn Owl by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr
ISO 800

Squirrel by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr
Posted 03/05/2011 - 14:18
Link
The K-7 is a far superior camera. Mike is correct: The difference in noise is minimal if you know how to post-process -- which you will only need to do in a few cases where the noise does not suit the image.
Never mind the K-7, I prefer my K20D to my K-x.
Never mind the K-7, I prefer my K20D to my K-x.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


647 posts
16 years
In thinking of upgrading to a K-7 from a K-X. I'd like the viewfinder focus points and a new toy too.
For anyone who has the K7 (and anyone who upgraded):
Would you recommend it?
What features that it has stand out?
Thoughts on the upper LCD panel (the one next to the shutter button)
I might be able to get one for a good price, hence the reason foe thinking of upgrading.
Anything else?
Cheers
Pa
Pa
http://www.photoblog.ie where every post have a musical reference as it's title.