Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K5ll&300sdm

jambodog6a
Posted 27/07/2016 - 15:39 Link
My K5ll keeps hunting for focus any ideas?

Not sure whether it is camera or the lens has anybody else had the same problem.

It does focus one in five times, Not much good when you're trying to focus on flying birds
Nigelk
Posted 27/07/2016 - 15:58 Link
Your camera AF sensor needs cleaning? Worth a try.
jambodog6a
Posted 28/07/2016 - 11:50 Link
Try I did' but still hunts
Think it's the lens?
bforbes
Posted 28/07/2016 - 13:01 Link
I have a 50-135 sdm that hunts if i have not used it for awhile. I have to wind the focus ring back and forth with the lens set in AF. It's rumored the SDM motors "go to sleep" if not used regularly, so you have to wake them up.

Might be worth a try
davidstorm
Posted 28/07/2016 - 13:45 Link
I don't think this is due to the SDM 'going to sleep'.

Pentax DSLR's are prone to hunting on small subjects due to the AF configuration, which is aligned more to accuracy on larger subjects than it is to focussing quickly on small moving targets. This happens on some lenses more than others and is also more prevalent on camera models prior to the K-3. I have both a K-3 and a K-5iis and I notice a huge difference when photographing birds on the K-5iis vs. the K-3 with the same lenses. The K-3 will lock on where the K-5iis will hunt.

I haven't used the 50-135 for wildlife shooting, but I do own this lens and would imagine it will be very prone to hunting on small moving objects like birds.

Hope this is useful info.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
McGregNi
Posted 28/07/2016 - 15:11 Link
davidstorm wrote:

...Pentax DSLR's are prone to hunting on small subjects due to the AF configuration, which is aligned more to accuracy on larger subjects than it is to focussing quickly on small moving targets .....

Hope this is useful info.

Regards
David

I think that should be nominated for an award David .... Most Euphemistic Description' of Pentax AF ever known to have been written !

In fact, it clearly should be adopted in the Autofocus sections of all the Camera manuals (although once translated into Japanese and then back to English again its meaning might have changed completely) ......
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 28/07/2016 - 15:13
jambodog6a
Posted 28/07/2016 - 15:41 Link
Cleaned everything but it still hunts
Its a DA*300 I will try moving the focus ring
Cheers thanks for the help
JohnX
Posted 28/07/2016 - 16:07 Link
You haven't told us how your camera is set up (focus points, etc) nor in what circumstances you get hunting.

All cameras and lenses will hunt at some time or other.

For example, if it's just the bif and the sky behind it, I'd say you'd be very likely to get hunting as the system alternates between the bird being in the af target zone and when it's not. I don't 'do' birds in flight, but I imagine they're very difficult to track through the viewfinder, which would explain why some birders use the equivalent of rifle sights with their long lenses.
Edited by JohnX: 28/07/2016 - 16:07
jambodog6a
Posted 28/07/2016 - 16:49 Link
It hunts on static things as well it doesn't quite stay in focus. it looks as though you're waving the camera about, even on a tripod
I've tried af centre spot continuous , single ,both the same
McGregNi
Posted 28/07/2016 - 17:36 Link
Are you using Live View, or the viewfinder? And do you have Shake Reduction on or off?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
davidstorm
Posted 28/07/2016 - 18:31 Link
McGregNi wrote:
I think that should be nominated for an award David .... Most Euphemistic Description' of Pentax AF ever known to have been written !

In fact, it clearly should be adopted in the Autofocus sections of all the Camera manuals (although once translated into Japanese and then back to English again its meaning might have changed completely) ......

Cheers Nigel

Regarding the issue with the lens, it seems to me that this is an actual fault with either the lens or the camera body. My suggestion would be to find someone with a Pentax camera and try the lens on a different body, this will rule out either the camera or the lens as being the cause. I once went on a nature shoot with a fellow Pentaxian who had a similar issue and we were able to confirm his problem as a camera fault by swapping lenses between our two camera bodies.

However, as mentioned earlier, the K-5 series are more prone to hunting than the K-3 bodies onwards.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
jambodog6a
Posted 28/07/2016 - 22:25 Link
As I bought the camera and the lens from Wex I'll pop in tomorrow and see if I can work out whether it's the camera or the lens
Thanks for all the help I will keep you updated
Stan J

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.