K5 in Aberdeen?

brigOdon

Link Posted 27/07/2012 - 19:29
Hi,
I'm thinking about moving up to a DSLR (have used film SLRs) and the K5 is a serious option. I've used a friend's Nikon d7000, and handled a Canon 7d in the local Jessops, but they don't stock the K5. It seems the nearest stockists are in Glasgow and Beauly, both quite a drive away, and I'm reluctant to part with my hard earned without having at least held the Pentax.
So if there are any K5 owners in the Aberdeen area who would like to show me their camera in return for a coffee or a beer, let me know.
Ta
Ian

fritzthedog

Link Posted 27/07/2012 - 23:13
Ian

I have just checked Jessops in Aberdeen and they have them in stock - you can actually order one to collect at 9am tomorrow

regards
Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

fatspider

Link Posted 28/07/2012 - 00:00
Welcome to the forum Ian

I wouldn't trust any ones stock control let alone Jessops

I would hang on and see if any PU members are nearby and willing to meet, you'll get far more information about the camera from them than you will from a sales assistant, and with a bit of luck you may get to see how the body handles with a few different lenses.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Tringa

Link Posted 28/07/2012 - 11:08
I can't comment on Jessops as I have not used them, but I hear enough to put me off. I know any comments about retailers are likely to be more negative than positive but ....

I can understand you wanting to hold one, though I bought my K5 without handling one, but as I had owned a 35mm film Pentax before, read the reviews and have few old K mount lenses and accessories, I was half way there already.

Hope you find one to try out - I don't think you will be disappointed.

If you decide on the K5 I'd recommend SRS - excellent service.

Dave

fritzthedog

Link Posted 28/07/2012 - 12:06
fatspider wrote:
Welcome to the forum Ian

I wouldn't trust any ones stock control let alone Jessops

I would hang on and see if any PU members are nearby and willing to meet, you'll get far more information about the camera from them than you will from a sales assistant, and with a bit of luck you may get to see how the body handles with a few different lenses.

A little unfair Alan - I have ordered several items for store collection from Leeds and York over the years and never had a problem
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

fatspider

Link Posted 28/07/2012 - 17:31
Not unfair at all Carl, I just don't trust computerised stock control systems, I've been let down by the big J and a lot of other companies on a number of occasions, you can't beat getting an assistant to physically check the item you want is on the shelf
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Stuey

Link Posted 28/07/2012 - 19:55
I ordered the K5 from Jessops Liverpool for collection at store - no issues to be honest - pleaseant service etc etc

However, had the double up tesco vouchers offer not been on my money would have gone to SRS for the two year warranty and service I am told of
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

Algernon

Link Posted 28/07/2012 - 20:14
You get the 2 year warranty from all Pro dealers
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Stuey

Link Posted 28/07/2012 - 20:26
Are Jessops a Pro Dealer

My Flickr site link

Algernon

Link Posted 28/07/2012 - 20:34
Stuey wrote:
Are Jessops a Pro Dealer

Is the Pope a Catholic?

Algi

Stuey

Link Posted 28/07/2012 - 20:36
I thought he was a German tank crew member

How do I invoke the 2 year warranty bit then

My Flickr site link

Mike-P

Link Posted 28/07/2012 - 20:48
Algernon wrote:
Stuey wrote:
Are Jessops a Pro Dealer

Is the Pope a Catholic?

Don't think Jessops are a pro dealer.

They are not listed as such on the Pentax web site and if you look on the 645D section they are listed as a preferred partner and unlike the others there they do not have the pro badge.
. My Flickr

Algernon

Link Posted 28/07/2012 - 21:26
Strange that?..... LCE aren't listed either... or Harrods

The EU say that all cameras should have a 2 year warranty and
UK law covers longer than that.

If Messups ever complain about not repairing a faulty camera within
2 years ask them if Pentax make cameras for Pro dealers that last
2 years and for other shops make ones that they only expect to
last for one year. Also when buying a camera make it clear that
you must have one that will last a minimum of 2 years

Search for camera in this thread.

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/shops-responsibility/

Algi

Mike-P

Link Posted 28/07/2012 - 21:31
Algernon wrote:
Strange that?..... LCE aren't listed either... or Harrods

I'm pretty sure certain branches of LCE are pro dealers but not all of them. As you say, Harrods don't seem to be included but I prefer Selfridges anyway (and they are)
. My Flickr

brigOdon

Link Posted 28/07/2012 - 21:52
Right enough Carl, seems they have one in stock. I called into the shop the other day and was told they didn't carry the K5 and it was only available on 'special order', whatever that is. Might just pop in past tomorrow.

Thanks
fritzthedog wrote:
Ian

I have just checked Jessops in Aberdeen and they have them in stock - you can actually order one to collect at 9am tomorrow

regards
Carl

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.