K5 IIs - First time out

Blythman

Link Posted 13/12/2014 - 19:02
So, I couldn't resist. Bought myself a K5 IIs. Tried it out at Cullercoats this morning. Unfortunately there weren't any clouds, but tried to make the best of what was there. All C&C most welcome.

First two are very similar. Which do you prefer. I can't make my mind up. They were consecutive bracketed exposures

Then we have a few more

The last just shows when I got soaked

Alan

PPG
Flickr

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 13/12/2014 - 19:26
Lucky chap. A wonderful camera. You've already made good use of it, I see. For what it's worth, no.4 is my favourite.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Last Edited by bwlchmawr on 13/12/2014 - 19:26

stu62

Link Posted 13/12/2014 - 19:29
I know i shouldent laugh but it was worth you getting soaked for no5

i like the way the sun is reflecting in the buildings in the top right and the sheen on the water as it comes over the corsway

briliant shot

regards stu

simonarron

Link Posted 13/12/2014 - 19:52
All good, Alan, but then any other outcome would have been a surprise.

I very nearly bought another K-5 IIs when B&H was all but giving them away a couple of weeks ago, but they'd all gone by the time I finally made up my mind. Then Amazon France slashed K-3 prices and that arrived a few hours ago. It's yet to leave its box, but I doubt my first endeavours will be anywhere near as good as these. I'm about to check the Met Office website to see where I might find some good light tomorrow...

Of the first two, I prefer the second. The horizon might be slightly burnt out in the centre, but as a consequence it's more colourful and to my eye has a little more impact.

MrB

Link Posted 13/12/2014 - 20:28
I doubt I would have risked a brand new camera around all that splashing salty water, but I'm glad you did, Alan - the results are very pleasing. My preference would be for number 4, but in the format of number 3!

Cheers.
Philip

drobbia

Link Posted 13/12/2014 - 20:46
#1 is my fave - then again, any first image on a new camera worthy of uploading is memorable. Have fun with the IIs, it's been my camera and I love it. - know you will too. - liked the softness of the dawn sky playing off the active, expanding, fog. T
"It's not what you look at that's important, it's what you see" - Thoreau
Quote:

Gwyn

Link Posted 13/12/2014 - 21:31
#1 for me too. The soft dawn light is just perfect. In #2 it's a bit blown I think.
Can we see #4 in a normal crop like the rest. I really like it, but am not sure of the crop.

swarf

Link Posted 13/12/2014 - 22:52
3 & 4 for me - as these are your first "out of the box", I'm tempted to put mine away and give up!

There are some crackers here that, not least show a) what a good eye can do; and b) what a superb camera the K-5iiS is (very glad that I've got one).

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link

col55555ine

Link Posted 13/12/2014 - 23:06
great pics ... k5iis is a great camera ..... k-7 to me was good, k5 was better, but k5iis is best yet ...
haven't wanted the k3 .... k5iis is enough for my needs .... just better glass needed .. lets move on and develop /
evolve more quality glass .. ....

k-5 IIs, Pentax 60-250, 17-70, 100macro WR, 50mm F2,
AF50 F1.4, Siggy 10-20, Siggy 100-300 F4, ..Pentax Af 160 ring flash

screwdriver222

Link Posted 13/12/2014 - 23:07
The best of the bunch is No 4. But there are all good
Flickr link

davidrobinson

Link Posted 13/12/2014 - 23:35
Lucky Guy
Nice camera and good results from a first time out. My preference is four but a pity the water wasn't going over the jetty as it is in five. Best go back again some time and really test the camera's and your water proofing.
Oh by the way I like the full set.
Regards David

davidstorm

Link Posted 13/12/2014 - 23:44
They are all very good sots Alan, I'm not going to try to pick a favourite. I'm sure you will more than do the K-5iis justice, I'm looking forward to seeing some wildlife shots with it.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

K10D

Link Posted 14/12/2014 - 00:39
Aaaaand it's all over bar the shouting.

I was going to be very surprised had you not bought into this gem of a camera.

This set has your finger prints all over it Alan.

David Storm has already said he is looking forward to some wildlife shots, as am I. You will pull results out of this body that will more than justify the purchase.

I'm about to be out all day with my IIs and K3. It's gotten to the stage where I pre select glass and use based on the slightly different properties of both bodies.

Congratulations on the purchase and as far as the above images go, all up to your usual standard and not a single bin job in there.

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link

Stridey

Link Posted 14/12/2014 - 09:36
Congrats on you early Christmas present ! I like them all but if I had to choose - No. 4. I like the reflected light in the house windows, balanced against the rising sun.

Regards
Nigel
Best regards
Nigel

www.nigelstridephotography.co.uk

Blythman

Link Posted 14/12/2014 - 10:01
Thanks for all the feedback. All very much appreciated. I went back this morning hoping for a better sky. There was some cloud which can either make it more spectacular or a wash out. It was a washout. Never pressed the shutter button.

As requested, here is an alternative crop of #4

And another image

Alan

PPG
Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.