K5 Focusing Area (AF Point)

Redhedgehog
Posted 01/09/2011 - 18:06 Link
By default the factory setting on the K5 is Auto but I find that this can sometimes lead to the camera focusing on areas of the scene that are not what I wish.

Obviously it is possible to choose Center and use focus lock or choose SEL to overcome the "problem" but I wonder which auto focus setting other K5 users favour.
vrapan
Posted 01/09/2011 - 18:07 Link
Single point selected by me, works very well.
cabstar
Posted 01/09/2011 - 18:53 Link
Center point and select by me..... never auto select...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Anvh
Posted 01/09/2011 - 18:55 Link
Select as well.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
womble
Posted 01/09/2011 - 19:12 Link
On a K20D but much the same: either centre or select by me. Most of the time I am focusing manually though (because I use manual focus lenses quite a bit).

K
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Blythman
Posted 01/09/2011 - 19:34 Link
Centre focus point. AF with back button then recompose. Exception being birds in flight for which I use auto
Alan


PPG
Flickr
giofi
Posted 01/09/2011 - 19:49 Link
Center focus point most of the time, often half pressing the shutter release button and then recomposing.

Can I add a question: which do you use for sports? (football)
Epithet Man
Posted 01/09/2011 - 20:38 Link
On my K10D I almost always select the focus point manually, depending on the composition of the shot. I usually have the AF button set to return the focus point to the centre although recently I've been experimenting with using the AF button for focusing.

My right thumb is usually a blur of activity.

EM
johnriley
Posted 01/09/2011 - 22:26 Link
Always centre point, and tweaks to that via the QuickShift on many lenses.
Best regards, John
pentaxian450
Posted 02/09/2011 - 00:50 Link
Most of the time, I use center point, but when doing studio, I'll use the point that's closest to my "target".
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Redhedgehog
Posted 02/09/2011 - 09:53 Link
Thanks for the feedback - interesting and useful.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo