K5 destination or migration?
Posted 18/11/2011 - 19:48
Link
I would wait and see what becomes of the Ricoh thing before switching. For me the best Pentax primes are worth staying with Pentax for and if Pentax goes FF then acquire a FF body as well as a K5 and get the best of both worlds.
Posted 18/11/2011 - 19:55 - Helpful Comment
Link
The D700 is no doubt an excellent body. However other than the size of the sensor (and the added DOF control) there doesn't seem to be any advantage over the K5, I doubt its as good in low light.
Don't forget that you would need to factor in the cost of FF Nikkor lenses- have a look at the prices- can be eye-watering!
I imagine the D700 is due for replacement fairly shortly.
Mind you if you go that way sods law says Pentax will go FF shortly afterwards.
Would you like a lift to the camera shop?
Don't forget that you would need to factor in the cost of FF Nikkor lenses- have a look at the prices- can be eye-watering!
I imagine the D700 is due for replacement fairly shortly.
Mind you if you go that way sods law says Pentax will go FF shortly afterwards.
Would you like a lift to the camera shop?
Posted 18/11/2011 - 21:28
Link
The low light capabilities of the D700 are a step up from the D7k/K5 sensors as is DR. I don't think there is much doubt about that.
However to take advantage of the camera you will need fairly heavy expensive FF lenses. I moved from the D7k to a K-5 precisely because the Nikon cameras/lenses are quite heavy especially if the lens features VR.
However to take advantage of the camera you will need fairly heavy expensive FF lenses. I moved from the D7k to a K-5 precisely because the Nikon cameras/lenses are quite heavy especially if the lens features VR.
Posted 18/11/2011 - 21:45
Link
I have not played around with a FF camera but have with a Canon 1d something with the aps H sensor (the 8 million pixel one) with an 'L' lens - I studied the shots taken and felt that I could not see a reason to even consider moving
Posted 18/11/2011 - 21:55
Link
'Fairly heavy expensive full frame lenses' ... Most of my Pentax lenses are FF, and are all the very opposite of expensive and heavy. I've seen results from FA lenses on FF cameras, and they look fantastic, so I'm not sure what we're scared of.
Perhaps the perception of large expensive lenses for FF comes from the way canon users like to mount very fast L lenses.
Perhaps the perception of large expensive lenses for FF comes from the way canon users like to mount very fast L lenses.
Posted 18/11/2011 - 22:11
Link
Pentax FF lenses are quiete nimble when compared to canikon FF lenses
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Posted 18/11/2011 - 22:29
Link
You don't mention the option of buying a FF and using it alongside your K5.
Best regards
Best regards
Too far from a shore.
Posted 19/11/2011 - 02:12
Link
Wow! so many comments from all over. I was just speculating on what it would be like to own FF. I was toying at first about selling all my pentax gear to fund a move. I was at the press photographers exhibition last night in the royal festival hall (brilliant btw) and all I saw was Canon 5Dii. Similarly the wildlife photographer of the year seems to be 90% Canikon. So I was thinking does that mean that Pentax is inferior? Am I unable to obtain those shots? Don't get me wrong, I have taken wonderfull pictures with the K5. I was just wondering am I missing something? Perhaps not. Maybe I should just invest in a DA200 , FA 31 and a 77 and wait to see what pentax decide. I take it those lenses meet with approval?
thanks everyone for the helpful comments though
thanks everyone for the helpful comments though
fed up waiting for a FF
Posted 19/11/2011 - 03:43
Link
Whether you are missing something or not depends on what you are shooting and your style of shooting. There is no doubt that Canon L lenses are special as are Nikon's equivalent, Olympus and Minolta have some truly wonderful lenses, then of course there is Leica, Zeiss and Voigtlander etc.etc.
Wildlife : animals / birds in the distance ? CaNikon every time, they have the lenses unless you can get your hands on some of the rare discontinued Pentax long lenses. This is why they win Wildlife tog of the year, that and sheer numbers. Same goes for Sport.
Press togs don't need long they need fast lenses, wide and the more FPS the merrier (for some situations) - hence a FF camera.
However we are not full time media pro shooters and unless you are a wildlife/bird shooter (I hesitate to include sport because IMHO Pentax does sport very well) then you don't need those (extremely expensive) lenses.
I may well buy a D700 (after the D800 appears and prices drop for used D700s) but only for the slightly different look a FF can give to portraiture, so I understand the attraction.
I was reading a write up yesterday by Canon shooters whereby the K5 came out top above their beloved 7D, D300s and E5. It is an amazing camera. IMHO a D700 can only offer you another 5% functionality over the K5 and I'm not sure that for the vast majority of shooters, it is worth the extra expense.
Wildlife : animals / birds in the distance ? CaNikon every time, they have the lenses unless you can get your hands on some of the rare discontinued Pentax long lenses. This is why they win Wildlife tog of the year, that and sheer numbers. Same goes for Sport.
Press togs don't need long they need fast lenses, wide and the more FPS the merrier (for some situations) - hence a FF camera.
However we are not full time media pro shooters and unless you are a wildlife/bird shooter (I hesitate to include sport because IMHO Pentax does sport very well) then you don't need those (extremely expensive) lenses.
I may well buy a D700 (after the D800 appears and prices drop for used D700s) but only for the slightly different look a FF can give to portraiture, so I understand the attraction.
I was reading a write up yesterday by Canon shooters whereby the K5 came out top above their beloved 7D, D300s and E5. It is an amazing camera. IMHO a D700 can only offer you another 5% functionality over the K5 and I'm not sure that for the vast majority of shooters, it is worth the extra expense.
Posted 19/11/2011 - 04:00 - Helpful Comment
Link
barryo70 wrote:
Maybe I should just invest in a DA200 , FA 31 and a 77 and wait to see what pentax decide. I take it those lenses meet with approval?
Personally no !Maybe I should just invest in a DA200 , FA 31 and a 77 and wait to see what pentax decide. I take it those lenses meet with approval?
IMHO the 31 is overpriced (and maybe over-rated) and you can get 95% of what it can do for much less. The 77 isn't a particularly fast focuser and suffers from PF and for most maybe the 70 Ltd is better option (and much cheaper) ! I was actually playing with a few lenses yesterday, thinking of buying the 77 (for the AF) to replace my Zeiss 85/1.4 .... not going to happen !
Here's some other (AF) options (you can find the new GBP prices on-line of course):
Pentax 15 Ltd : I bought this a few months ago and it is totally addictive. Just a fantastic lens, maybe it could convert you too. US$510
Sigma 30/1.4 - this is just an amazing lens, if you want a landscape lens then this isn't it (though it'll do the job) but for creativity, portraits and street shooting it is near perfect and damn near focuses and shoots in the dark. US$490. There's also a fantastic Zeiss (35/1.4) if MF doesn't throw you.
Pentax DA 70 Ltd - much better than the 77 Ltd across the frame (borders) with centre sharpness not far off the same. Superb value for money. US$550. The more expensive (around US$900) Sigma 85/1.4 is now reporting to be edging ahead of Canon's 85/1.2 L glass and Nikon's 85s ! Google it. For the money better glass by far than the 77.
Pentax 50-135/2.8 - I'd like to say the Sigma 50-150/2.8, which IMHO is a better lens than the Pentax for none IQ reasons, but since it's discontinued (and replaced by a monster) you can only buy it used though it's just superb if you can find it. Otherwise the lovely 50-135 for US$850
DA200 - is a very specialist lens. I'd take the Pentax 60-250 / Tamron 70-200 / Sigma 70-200 over it any day despite the 200's stellar IQ. Though if it is length you want then the DA*300 is spectacular !
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Posted 19/11/2011 - 07:24
Link
Oops.
Barry maybe I mistook your reference. You are referring to buying FF lenses in case Pentax announce a FF camera aren't you ?
*slaps forehead*
Barry maybe I mistook your reference. You are referring to buying FF lenses in case Pentax announce a FF camera aren't you ?
*slaps forehead*
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Posted 19/11/2011 - 08:40
Link
PU has tests (also available on EPZ) on the limited lenses listed, and it's certain that the 77mm out-performs the 70mm, but whether or not you like the handling and overall "look" of the images from these lenses is a matter of choice. Frankly, both have excellent character and deliver the goods.
If you are concerned about needing FF, then the 77mm will of necessity be your choice between these two as the 70mm is not FF.
If you are concerned about needing FF, then the 77mm will of necessity be your choice between these two as the 70mm is not FF.
Best regards, John
Posted 19/11/2011 - 09:31
Link
johnriley wrote:
PU has tests (also available on EPZ) on the limited lenses listed, and it's certain that the 77mm out-performs the 70mm, but whether or not you like the handling and overall "look" of the images from these lenses is a matter of choice. Frankly, both have excellent character and deliver the goods.
If you are concerned about needing FF, then the 77mm will of necessity be your choice between these two as the 70mm is not FF.
In what way does it 'out-perform' the 70 John ? Not according the the same PZ you referenced. In fact PZ actually give the 70 Ltd a higher optical quality rating (4 stars to 3.5 for the 77).PU has tests (also available on EPZ) on the limited lenses listed, and it's certain that the 77mm out-performs the 70mm, but whether or not you like the handling and overall "look" of the images from these lenses is a matter of choice. Frankly, both have excellent character and deliver the goods.
If you are concerned about needing FF, then the 77mm will of necessity be your choice between these two as the 70mm is not FF.
From PZ (both on the K10D as the 77 has not been tested on the K5) : -
77 : link
70 : link
Not in border resolution where there is a huge difference (the 70 pulverises the 77 until f5.6) and even in centre resolution the difference is only very small. Maybe in Pixie dust and build quality (though PZ rates them even there too) and I think both can actually be used on FF as well if I'm not mistaken ?
Of course MTF figures don't tell the whole story but I'd like to hear your reasoning - maybe from your own testing ?
The PF was pretty bad in my testing in shop of the 77 Ltd too (and one of the reasons I walked out without it the day before yesterday), occurring in virtually all shots I took - even though they were very high contrast and almost guaranteed to produce fringing. This is a large crop from the foreground of a shot of another subject.

http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Posted 19/11/2011 - 09:44
Link
My own tests were done for ePHOTOzine (EPZ) and you'll find them there as well as on PU. Pentax User, not PZ....
My tests were done on the K-5 and quite recently.
There's little in it in terms of overall "quality" (aesthetic and subjective plus technical testing) and I really like the 70mm, but the resolution and technical performance of the original Limited lenses is higher.
I would happily use any of them, both the FA and DA Limited lenses.
I think there are still quite a few of us who don't realise that ePHOTOzine and Pentax User are sister sites with the same ownership. There are a mass of tests available "in house" at these two sites, without going to other internet sites. I get the feeling looking right here often gets overlooked. :
My tests were done on the K-5 and quite recently.
There's little in it in terms of overall "quality" (aesthetic and subjective plus technical testing) and I really like the 70mm, but the resolution and technical performance of the original Limited lenses is higher.
I would happily use any of them, both the FA and DA Limited lenses.
I think there are still quite a few of us who don't realise that ePHOTOzine and Pentax User are sister sites with the same ownership. There are a mass of tests available "in house" at these two sites, without going to other internet sites. I get the feeling looking right here often gets overlooked. :
Best regards, John
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


88 posts
16 years
London
Cheers Barry