K3II Intermittent Overexposure Issue

malvern_man

Link Posted 22/05/2019 - 20:46
** Another Update **

I arranged with SRS and JP Technical to take the camera there in person ( JP Technical is only 20 mins from me )

I got to speak to the Pentax technician face to face and he tried the camera while we were talking. He took a few shots using the settings I use for motorsport and 'thankfully' the fault happened. He tried a few other settings and the fault happened again.

He said it could be one of two problems ( something to with the shutter and another that I cannot remember ) but as it's still under warranty he's going to order the parts for both possible problems and change both parts. He also said that if these 2 new parts don't happen to cure the fault then he'll change the main board too.

Regards,

Chris.
Gripped Pentax K5 & K5II / Gripped Pentax K20D / Gripped Samsung GX10 and a growing collection of lenses.
My Website

LennyBloke

Link Posted 22/05/2019 - 21:45
Hopefully this'll finally get it sorted for you Chris - it may have taken some time, but SRS have put some real effort into getting a solution for you! I know it's frustrating having to wait so long, but it should be worth it in the end. Keep us updated
LennyBloke

SteveEveritt

Link Posted 25/05/2019 - 15:16
I had a very similar issue when panning at what was my local kart track. The first image would be fine (I was on fast multi shoot to ensure I got at least one sharp in the sequence) but as the pan progressed so each shot would get brighter. I sent the lens to the new defunct company for repair, they said they couldn't fix it and sent it to France. A few weeks later I received the camera back and I'm convinced they took the base off my camera and put it on a brand new body so I had the same serial number. It worked flawlessly after that.
My Flickr link

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon)

malvern_man

Link Posted 14/06/2019 - 22:34
** Update **

I nipped over to JP Technical today to pick up my K3-II, the enclosed paper work says the following,

Replace mechanical assembly
Calibrate electronic circuit board
Check and clean CCD
Check and clean view finder assembly

I'll try and give it a 'work out' over the weekend although the racetrack where I am the official photographer at has cancelled this Sundays meeting due to the weather.

Regards,

Chris.

PS,
I picked up my camera and left them with my DA* 50-135 lens for repair.
Gripped Pentax K5 & K5II / Gripped Pentax K20D / Gripped Samsung GX10 and a growing collection of lenses.
My Website

SteveF

Link Posted 19/06/2019 - 11:50
Hope your problem is resolved now.

Good to read positive stuff about the new operation at JP Technical. I have a 50-135 with an expired motor which needs attention. As a frequent visitor to that neck of the woods, I will have to arrange to drop it in.

malvern_man

Link Posted 28/06/2019 - 16:56
SteveF wrote:
Hope your problem is resolved now.

Good to read positive stuff about the new operation at JP Technical. I have a 50-135 with an expired motor which needs attention. As a frequent visitor to that neck of the woods, I will have to arrange to drop it in.

I tried my camera out at a race meeting and it performed as it should, no overexposed images. I'm out at another meeting this weekend so it'll be getting another good work out

From what I can gather it's the same people from JPS, they've just moved over to a new area within the John Pye auction house.

My DA* 50-135 is with them at the moment, waiting for some parts to arrive. The quote for mine is 187.00 which I'm more than happy with.

If you want to take yours in I suggest you call them first as there's no general access to the repair area. You have to go to the onsite cafe first them someone from technical will come and take you through

Regards, Chris.
My Website
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.