K30 Review in AP

amilner
Posted 07/08/2012 - 09:34 Link
Generally very positive K30 review in this weeks AP - his main gripe seems to be the 'noisy lens motors' in some lenses - Surely a reviewer in a specialist mag should know that the motor for non SDM lenses is in the camera body? (Though the point that is can be noisy with some lenses is perfectly valid)
Tony Milner
Super A, ME Super, MZ6, K5II, Ricoh GR & lenses from 8-500mm
www.amilner.org
www.flickr.com/photos/tonymilner
Mike-P
Posted 07/08/2012 - 10:54 Link
Tbh I think all lenses should have the motor built in these days, I doubt it would add much to the overall cost.
amilner
Posted 08/08/2012 - 09:03 Link
Generally I agree - however I guess that might compromise the diminutive size of the limited lenses.
Tony Milner
Super A, ME Super, MZ6, K5II, Ricoh GR & lenses from 8-500mm
www.amilner.org
www.flickr.com/photos/tonymilner
johnriley
Posted 08/08/2012 - 09:31 Link
I suppose I'm always looking at covering in case of failure, so if every lens had motors in we would need a spare lens just in case. If motors are in the camera body, well, we have a back up camera body so no problem.

It would add bulk and would entail redesign of existing very fine lenses, such as the Limited series, which would cost money.

I can personally live very happily with existing lenses as they are, with new lenses offering inbuilt motors where desired. The 18-135mm has a superb DC motor system and I'd be very pleased to see more of those.
Best regards, John
Mike-P
Posted 08/08/2012 - 10:09 Link
amilner wrote:
Generally I agree - however I guess that might compromise the diminutive size of the limited lenses.
Canon's new 40mm pancake has a motor and that's not much bigger than the DA 40mm.
robbiec
Posted 08/08/2012 - 23:34 Link
I had written something on this article last week (Tuesday I think) and it turned out to be quite a rant, then I noticed that I had put it in the Lens section so I deleted it.
Anyway, I'm a week calmer now so...
Noisy lens - As Tony mentioned above that is his main gripe, however he should also have pointed out that
a: the K30 does support SDM and DC lenses
b: that the K30 does have a motor to drive a lens which I believe that some of its competitors do not (D5100 springs to mind) due to I suppose cost reasons and market placing.

And can someone tell me when AP stopped using a 100mm Macro as a baseline for resolution tests? The 18-55 while worthy in its own way is not exactly the sharpest of the bunch.

So if someone from Pentax UK is reading this, next time you pass out a camera for test purposes... include the DA18-55WR or DA18-135 DC WR, DA55-300, a fast prime, say the new DA50 f/1.8 and also the DFA100mm Macro.

I do wonder about AP though, take the main pic on the cover, how many EOS-M users will actually mount a 70-200 f/2.8, or should I ask, how many typical EOS-M users would actually know what a 70-200 f/2.8 is?

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo