K3 Interval shooting settings

cambuff92

Link Posted 20/02/2014 - 17:45
I have been trying out Interval shooting on the K3 and have been confused by one item in the settings ie the Start time. There are two possible settings for this either 'NOW' where the first shot of the series takes place immediately OR when a start time can be entered in two boxes. I don't know whether these are intended for Hours & Minutes OR Minutes & Seconds also whether the time is relative to the start or relative to camera's internal clock. The other thing I want to know is how is the sequence started, is it by the OK button after creating the settings. If anyone can help I would very grateful.

McGregNi

Link Posted 20/02/2014 - 20:58
A K3 user will need to respond of course, but for experimenting purposes I'd try the shutter button to 'start' the operation after setting it. The convention for most of these sort of things is to use OK for confirming things on the menu screen, then shutter button to actually 'trigger' it to happen.

I've heard that the k3 manual is a bit short of some detail - can I assume your issue here is one of them? In any case, just try some of it out - set a small figure in the boxes and try the shutter as I've said and see how long it all takes.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 20/02/2014 - 22:17
Page 55 of the manual is the place to look - the start time is the actual time, according to the time you have set the camera to, that you want the shooting to start, so 22:30 if you want it to start at 10:30pm for example. You just press the shutter button to start the process going, but it won't actually take a shot until the allotted time.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

richandfleur

Link Posted 21/02/2014 - 01:03
I tried this on the K-30 and it did work. From memory it was expecting hours and minutes.

On the K-30 it just randomly stopped after a few repetitions and reading online others had experienced the same issue. I had thought that potentially it had stopped when it thought it was over exposing (maybe as a safeguard?) but never really confirmed this and it wasn't a feature that was specifically mentioned anywhere.

Hopefully it works fine on yours. I actually thought about moving to mirrorless/ non mechanical shutter cameras for timelapses as you can rack up a huge shutter count pretty quickly depending on your interval frequency settings.

cambuff92

Link Posted 21/02/2014 - 10:51
Thanks everyone for replies. I agree the K3 manual is a bit short on detail in many places including this one. I will try the method which has been supplied and let you know how I get on.

cambuff92

Link Posted 21/02/2014 - 11:32
Hi Guys - I have just given it a trial with your method and settings and it just produced three shots at the set time and the required interval. I am very much obliged to you all.

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 21/02/2014 - 11:35
Glad it worked for you Dennis.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

dcweather

Link Posted 22/02/2014 - 19:54
richandfleur wrote:
I tried this on the K-30 and it did work. From memory it was expecting hours and minutes.

On the K-30 it just randomly stopped after a few repetitions and reading online others had experienced the same issue. I had thought that potentially it had stopped when it thought it was over exposing (maybe as a safeguard?) but never really confirmed this and it wasn't a feature that was specifically mentioned anywhere.

Hopefully it works fine on yours. I actually thought about moving to mirrorless/ non mechanical shutter cameras for timelapses as you can rack up a huge shutter count pretty quickly depending on your interval frequency settings.

------------------------------------------
My K30 had the same issue, haven't tried the K3 yet.

richandfleur

Link Posted 23/02/2014 - 02:46
dcweather wrote:
richandfleur wrote:

------------------------------------------
My K30 had the same issue, haven't tried the K3 yet.

Yeah there are a few bugs in there I'm sure, which is a bit disappointing really as I now don't have confidence in this anymore. There were a few K-30 posts here and there on the internet, about others getting the same random stops for no apparent reason.

eg here

and here

As I said though, I think mirrorless is the way to go for this sort of thing as the shutter count gets up there!
Last Edited by richandfleur on 23/02/2014 - 02:50
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.