K3 First Shots
Posted 02/01/2014 - 19:37
Link
I really like No3 for the soft side-lighting and depth of field. The foreground areas are superb, but I find the Dynamic range in the sky a bit high - ie very dark greys and blown highs near the horizon.
I think the soft nature of the shot would be complemented better with this high contrast toned down - maybe a selection on the sky and a pull back on the whitepoint and reduction in low-tone contrast, to lighten the blacks a bit?
I think the soft nature of the shot would be complemented better with this high contrast toned down - maybe a selection on the sky and a pull back on the whitepoint and reduction in low-tone contrast, to lighten the blacks a bit?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 02/01/2014 - 21:31
Link
I think these are a really good start with your K-3 Tom, you've got some interesting compositions there. I have the opposite view to Nigel on No.3; I think the way you have handled the wide dynamic range in the sky is just about right. There is a small amount burned out, but I think this is acceptable, especially as the foreground must have been quite dark when you were taking the shot.
Regards
David
Regards
David
Posted 03/01/2014 - 06:30
Link
Thanks for the comments everyone!
That was the idea Gareth with the last shot. I may revisit that with a slightly lower shooting position to isolated the houses on the boat!
Cheers
That was the idea Gareth with the last shot. I may revisit that with a slightly lower shooting position to isolated the houses on the boat!
Cheers
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


226 posts
14 years
Headed out this morning in the cold to a local spot to me in search of some boats. Kind of wish I had got to the spot where the second shot was taken earlier to get the nice sky. Think I will be heading back there soon!
1, 1.3 sec at f/8, 10mm, iso100.
Aldeburgh by tomh198218, on Flickr
2, 0.4 sec at f/11, 14mm, iso100.
Estuary by tomh198218, on Flickr
3, 1/6 sec at f/8, 17mm, iso100.
Sitting Around by tomh198218, on Flickr
4, 1/6 sec at f/8, 20mm, iso100
Houseboat by tomh198218, on Flickr
Thanks for looking!